S 2265 (aka HB4285, 4278, 4121) out of Senate Ways and Means (FID Suitability)

on the C&R some dealers don't follow the law just like some don't follow the "list" and sell guns that are not on it. I have had some dealers say that if it is not pre-owned even though a C&R gun they cannot sell it so this is going to change that, now they have to.

Without having to read 1323 posts or the lawyer speak on malegislature.gov, what passed today? Is there a nice summary of what changes were accepted today?

From today's sessions, pretty much. Now let's see how it comes out after "reconciling" with the House version. Do they just keep the parts which are common to both, dropping everything else?

They can do anything they want. The Conference Committee will write the bill they want to write. Of course, the House Speaker and Senate President will put their minions on the Committee, so I would expect it'll reflect pretty much what they want. I wouldn't be shocked if it had stuff in it that wasn't in either bill. Once the bill comes out of conference it cannot be amended, only voted up or down. That scares me a lot because whatever comes out of conference is going to get approved and signed into law. So if some total piece of c**p ends up in it, we're going to be stuck with it.

One question -- does the governor's line item veto power only apply to the budget or to any law? Because that's another way for us to get screwed -- to have the idiot in the corner office veto out positive changes.

dafuq?

The sheer ineptitude of journalists these days...never mind their BIAS, is disgusting

They love pegging that on there like its a slur

- - - Updated - - -

on the C&R some dealers don't follow the law just like some don't follow the "list" and sell guns that are not on it. I have had some dealers say that if it is not pre-owned even though a C&R gun they cannot sell it so this is going to change that, now they have to.

Well, they don't have to.... they will no have no excuse not to, but they don't have to sell you shit!

Good job folks… The first two news stories I have read haven't used the term "gun-control" and have portrayed the gun grabbers as whining about the bill being watered down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There really isn't much that's anti 2a left in the bill. The biggest issue I have is the LEO one-but, honestly, just because it creates 2 sets of rights. Other than that, we got out unscathed, and seemed to have improved our position. And, they heard us. Who here can say that's happened in their lifetime?

I would argue that the requirement that you have a computer and an internet connection and be willing to use them at the place of transfer if you want to do a face to face sale is bad. It won't affect me when I sell or buy something from someone I know, but it sure as hell will if I want to buy or sell something from a stranger.

Aside from the inconvenience factor, it's morally offensive to require a certain level of technology and/or income to exercise a right.

There really needs to be an old fashioned paper option.

I would argue that the requirement that you have a computer and an internet connection and be willing to use them at the place of transfer if you want to do a face to face sale is bad. It won't affect me when I sell or buy something from someone I know, but it sure as hell will if I want to buy or sell something from a stranger.

Aside from the inconvenience factor, it's morally offensive to require a certain level of technology and/or income to exercise a right.

There really needs to be an old fashioned paper option.
I agree with you, but, the state sucks when it was required by law to provide that, so that they went to a printable version, as well as online. Upside is, this isn't enforceable until 2021

Currently if your guns are stolen, your chief can yank your license. Under the new law you get one free pass, then after that it's the same as now.
or currently if your guns aren't stolen but the chief thinks you look funny he can yank your license, under the new law that can still happen so who gives a **** about the stolen guns thing, you wont be suitable regardless

still shitty to have them have that thought process though

They can do anything they want. The Conference Committee will write the bill they want to write. Of course, the House Speaker and Senate President will put their minions on the Committee, so I would expect it'll reflect pretty much what they want. I wouldn't be shocked if it had stuff in it that wasn't in either bill. Once the bill comes out of conference it cannot be amended, only voted up or down. That scares me a lot because whatever comes out of conference is going to get approved and signed into law. So if some total piece of c**p ends up in it, we're going to be stuck with it.

One question -- does the governor's line item veto power only apply to the budget or to any law? Because that's another way for us to get screwed -- to have the idiot in the corner office veto out positive changes.
Not even close to correct. Want to spread fear and hate, join moms demand.
The bill goes back to the house, where it's reconciled. My understanding is that amendments can be removed, not added. If the bill varies too much, it must then be voted on again, as a new bill. If not, it must be agreed upon by a joint committee, then sent to the governor. Some of this be be incorrect, but I believe that's how it works. They can also accept it as is, and send it straight to the governor. They can NOT pull a bait & switch. I think we've had enough negativity for the past 20 months. Spreading lies amongst each other, inciting quarrels, does no one any good.

Currently if your guns are stolen, your chief can yank your license. Under the new law you get one free pass, then after that it's the same as now.

or currently if your guns aren't stolen but the chief thinks you look funny he can yank your license, under the new law that can still happen so who gives a **** about the stolen guns thing, you wont be suitable regardless

still shitty to have them have that thought process though

I think it's dangerous to have them explicitly spell out in the law that if you are twice the victim of firearms theft they can revoke your license, especially because they won't have to invoke the suitability language! Suitability is a wishy washy thing that we might get pinned down in (Federal) court.

I agree with you, but, the state sucks when it was required by law to provide that, so that they went to a printable version, as well as online.

I'm totally OK with both being available, so long as the paper one is *always* available.

Actually, I think the entire FA10 system (and four/year limit) should just go away, it's not like the reporting requirement has ever stopped a crime, ever. Probably creates more criminals than it prevents.

Upside is, this isn't enforceable until 2021

Good point. I wonder if the state will learn how to run a website by then. I wonder if the state will give out working web enabled tablets for those who don't have a $50/month phone plan and a smart phone.

I wonder if the state will learn how to run a website by then. I wonder if the state will give out working web enabled tablets for those who don't have a $50/month phone plan and a smart phone.

Nope, FTF transfers will have to take place in public libraries and internet cafes for public access to the internet. I'm sure the press will be screaming about that in the near future.

"Public libraries and local internet cafes have become arms bazaars as an unintended consequence of a new MA law. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?! Exclusive at 11!"

Not even close to correct. Want to spread fear and hate, join moms demand.
The bill goes back to the house, where it's reconciled.

Look, here's what GOAL says on its FB page:

GOAL said:
S.2265 will return to the House for a concurrence vote (basically they will have to agree with the Senate vote and amendments and vote to reflect that agreement).

If the house disagrees and votes to reflect that they don't like the bill (concurrence is rejected), a bi-partisan conference committee of three members from each branch is appointed to craft a new compromise bill that will be sent to both legislative branches for a final vote.

The conference committee’s report recommending the compromise bill is not subject to amendment.

Now, given how untransparent and corrupt the MA legislature is, why on earth should I not worry that the Conference Committee (which is essentially controlled by the the House Speaker and Senate President, since they have mucho say in who is on said committee) will pull a bait and switch on some things? Don't get me wrong -- I certainly hope they won't. But I trust nothing in this state.

And do you actually doubt that the MA legislature will do anything but overwhelmingly approve whatever the Conference Committee proposes? Whatever the Conference Committee writes is going to be the law.

Separate from all that, I'd still be interested in knowing if anyone has the answer to my question re: the governor's line-item veto power.

Now, given how untransparent and corrupt the MA legislature is, why on earth should I not worry that the Conference Committee (which is essentially controlled by the the House Speaker and Senate President, since they have mucho say in who is on said committee) will pull a bait and switch on some things? Don't get me wrong -- I certainly hope they won't. But I trust nothing in this state.

And do you actually doubt that the MA legislature will do anything but overwhelmingly approve whatever the Conference Committee proposes? Whatever the Conference Committee writes is going to be the law.

Separate from all that, I'd still be interested in knowing if anyone has the answer to my question re: the governor's line-item veto power.
That process will take time. They want this done by the end of next week. Could they scrap the entire thing, and write what they want? Yes. But, that will require too much time. And, now this is entirely my opinion-they don't want to hear from us anymore. They've worked more in 2 weeks than they have in 5 years, because of us. I see this going through as is, or maybe an amendment or 2 being dropped. I don't see any major changes, because I think they want this behind them. We've been a huge thorn in their side.
As to line item veto-i honestly don't know. I can check tonight at work though, if no one posts an answer by then.

But, and, I'm going off of memory here-the requirement is to be fully compliant in 2021. I don't see them launching a website in less than a year. Hell, I don't see it happening by 2021!

Where are you seeing 2021?

SECTION 101. Sections 26 and 27 shall take effect on March 1, 2015; provided, however, that the chief information officer of the commonwealth, in conjunction with the secretary of public safety and security, shall procure any necessary information technology services to implement the real time web portal pursuant to said section 27 by October 1, 2014.

Section 26 and 27 are what remove the paper form and require the new web portal, respectively.

That process will take time. They want this done by the end of next week.

It wouldn't take them any time to (for example) put in the FID suitability language or the gun-a-month language. All they'd have to do is take what had already been written up as amendments on Tuesday and insert the language in the relevant places. Again, I don't want this to happen. I'm not saying that it will happen. I just don't trust our Beacon Hill overlords and I won't rest easy until I see what comes out of the committee.

That process will take time. They want this done by the end of next week. Could they scrap the entire thing, and write what they want? Yes. But, that will require too much time. And, now this is entirely my opinion-they don't want to hear from us anymore. They've worked more in 2 weeks than they have in 5 years, because of us. I see this going through as is, or maybe an amendment or 2 being dropped. I don't see any major changes, because I think they want this behind them. We've been a huge thorn in their side.
As to line item veto-i honestly don't know. I can check tonight at work though, if no one posts an answer by then.

Yep... I can't realistically see this going before a conference committee vote.

It'll go straight to the House as amended, voted on and easily passed/engrossed with very little bickering/objections.

From there...directly to Patricks desk where he'll gleefully sign it..

Back
Top Bottom