S 2265 (aka HB4285, 4278, 4121) out of Senate Ways and Means (FID Suitability)

We all need to stay uber vigilant until the 31st so that they don't slip any last minute crap into this bill.

while I agree, they can't add anything to the bill that wasn't already in one of the versions, so at least we know what we may be looking at

those who say better to pass this than face something worse next session, who's to say they won't pass this AND go after more next session anyway

put me in the group of "anything the government fails to do is good"

while I agree, they can't add anything to the bill that wasn't already in one of the versions, so at least we know what we may be looking at

those who say better to pass this than face something worse next session, who's to say they won't pass this AND go after more next session anyway

put me in the group of "anything the government fails to do is good"

Are you 100% on that?

Are you 100% on that?
numerous people more knowledgeable than I, and every source I have found have said the same, but since I am not directly in the know then no I won't say 100%

it is my understanding that they could say, add back in suitability since it was amended out of the house bill, but they couldn't add in one gun a month as it was never in any bill

eta:
finally heard back from my Senator
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your recent email regarding the gun legislation, passed by the Senate yesterday. Over the past week, I have received many phone calls and emails making recommendations on this legislation. Throughout the last ten years as an elected official I have worked to protect the Second Amendment. After speaking with gun owners, listening to your stories and reading your emails, the importance of this issue to you was reinforced even more.

Before the debate yesterday I overwhelmingly heard feedback from individuals who wanted to ensure that language was removed which would have allowed individual police chiefs to use a “suitability” decision to deny someone their FID card. Subsequently, I voted to remove this clause from the Senate version of the bill in order to keep the law as it stands currently.

I also supported removing pepper spray and mace from the FID card requirements for individuals over the age of 18, as many had requested. Within the Senate legislation, I also supported tougher penalties for criminals and the creation of new crimes for gun-related offenses to punish those who are acting unlawfully with a firearm. Also, this bill includes provisions for the expansion of mental health services and increased protections for children in school.

This legislation comes after a year and a half of hearings, letters, emails and face-to-face meetings with my constituents. I take the rights afforded under the Second Amendment very seriously and I appreciate you taking the time to express to me your concerns and thoughts on the legislation, amendments, and the issue as a whole.

This legislation will now move to a Conference Committee to reconcile the two versions of passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate. I will continue to advocate once the Conference Committee is appointed and I hope you will as well.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I you have any questions or concerns.

Respectfully,

Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

Has anyone seen a re-write of the bill, with the amendments as passed??

I've been checking the state website and it refers back to H. 4285, but that copy only has the original 4285 text and not the 2265 text that did pass with amendments.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/Senate/S2284

Starting a thread for discussion/organization around the next step for the Suitability law that the House passed.

Just change the title of this thread. We already have two threads on this that we need to follow.

Would a MODERATOR please merge all these already? Too much to keep track of.

Back
Top Bottom