• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger sp101 model 5771

I was shotgun shopping today with my brother and as always something else catches your eye. I came across a ruger sp101 5771 (4 1/4 barrel, fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear sights). In terms of looks I already love the gun but before I decide to buy one, I'd like to get thoughts on this particular model. I'd like to know what you like or dislike about this revolver and what is a good price for this model. Thanks in advance

First off I love my ruger sp101 and it is my EDC......in 2 1/4 inch barrel though. Honestly the 357 magnum version of this gun in 4 1/2 inch barrel confuses me a little. DO you plan to carry it? I think a 4 1/2 inch barrel is gonna be mighty uncomfortable in a IWB holster and you'll have to wear a hell of a long sweater of jacket to conceal the barrel in a OWB holster. its a 5 shot smallish frame revolver.......why go to 4 1/2 inch with only a 5 shot cylinder? For a revolver with over a 3 inch barrel I'd just go to a full size like GP100 or smith 686.

This is just my opinion though.........people like what they like but 4 1/2 inch barrel 5 shot does not make a ton of sense to me when for a tiny bit more scratch you can get a full size 6 or even 7 shot (with the 686 smith) full size.

Buy it you will love it. I got one when they first came out. I take it to the range almost every weekend. the only problem is the grip, ditch it and get a hogue grip.

I have one. I like it a lot. Fits my stubby hands well and shoots like a dream.
Nice for back packing...

I like these better than the strip loaders.
HKS 36-A model.

5d62f1d469eb63fb8d786cb9fbdf3e7e.jpg

I keep the pistol in a Ruger holster.

50077_L(2).jpg

Last edited:
I have the original grips on it and have no problem.
Hogue usually provides a shallow cresent area for speed loaders, but can't tell you for certain.

4.2" Barrel, 5-shot .357mag and super-slim Ruger wheelgun... what's not to love?

Back
Top Bottom