Ruger Mk II

Garys

NES Member
I'm thinking about a .22 semi auto for target practice, plinking, and probably teaching my daughter to shoot. Anyone have any thoughts on the Ruger?

Gary

The Ruger Mk II is one of the best .22 semi's ever built. It would be an excellent choice for all three purposes you mentioned. Depending on your daughter's size and strength it might be a bit heavy but not enough to cause any serious problems if she starts off of a bench rest.

I would stay away from the Mk III since I have heard mixed reviews about them. Maybe any bugs have been ironed out by now but it would be difficult to beat the Mk II.

Thanks. She's 22, but under five feet tall. She has expressed interest in learning to shoot, and I think a small caliber handgun is the way to start. I want to let her try it out and then I'll look into more formal training. I don't want to pass my bad habits on to her. <G>

Gary

Four Seasons lists a bout three Mk II's on their used gun page. Two under $200 I think.

Come to think of it, your handgun is NOT complete unless you have one of these beauties.

Four Seasons lists a bout three Mk II's on their used gun page. Two under $200 I think.

Come to think of it, your handgun is NOT complete unless you have one of these beauties.

I saw two listed on the FS used gun page. The price seems pretty reasonable to me. FS has always been pretty good to deal with, although I haven't bought a firearm there in several years. I'm going to try to drive up there tomorrow between my other errands.

Gary

That should have read, "handgun battery". Sorry for the omission.

I shoot NRA Bullseye pistol in two leagues. Both teams that I shoot on are knee deep in Walthers, Hammerlis, Pardinis, and other .22 pistols that cost around a couple weeks pay for someone with a good job. Our best shooter is currently using a Ruger Mk II, and he's regularly shooting well into the 280s (out of 300). 'Nuff said.

I shoot NRA Bullseye pistol in two leagues. Both teams that I shoot on are knee deep in Walthers, Hammerlis, Pardinis, and other .22 pistols that cost around a couple weeks pay for someone with a good job. Our best shooter is currently using a Ruger Mk II, and he's regularly shooting well into the 280s (out of 300). 'Nuff said.
+1
Fixed barrel, sights fixed onto the frame and barrel, and Ruger is capable of producing excellent barrels. Trigger would benefit from a decent trigger job.

I love my Mark 1 - had it for years. It's a target model; I bought it to replace my Mark 1 standard about 10 years back. 'nough said? No?

Very reliable with the proper ammo (Remington reshaped the bullets in their bulk pack of hollowpoints recently which mandated a switch to Federal), very nice trigger, more accurate than I am. Pain in the ass to take down and re-assemble; there's a modified bolt release gadget on the market that I'm going to buy some day Real Soon Now.

Short form: go for it.

Thanks Ross. What is the recommended ammunition? If I get the pistol tomorrow, no doubt I'll want to get a couple of boxes to go with it.

Gary

I get the Federal bulk pack from Wally World and it feeds fine in my Mark 1. YMMV, so get a few different types and try them out.

I have a MK III and they must've ironed out all the problems because it is a fantastic pistol. As far as ammo goes, I have good luck with the Federal bulk pack stuff, not so much with Yellow Jacket.

Gary I have also had good luck with the Federal bulk pack in my Mk III. The Ruger is one that always goes with me. I had actually worn out the bolt stop on mine in under a years time. I am sure Ruger would have taken care of it, but for a $3 part I had just done it myself.

Corry

I had actually worn out the bolt stop on mine
Ouch! :)

Seriously, I don't "get" the thing with the MkII/III. I own a MkIII, and I'd rather have a rimfire conversion kit for a 1911. The feel of the Ruger is just all wrong. It might be fine for going after groundhogs, but a .22 for me is useful primarily as a target gun for refining trigger control, breathing, etc. in preparation for firing a real gun, and I don't think the weight or feel of the Ruger really approximate that to any useful level. But, just my $0.02.

Kyle

I'm not a huge fan of the MKII/MKIII for one main reason-

It's a pain in the ass to clean, compared to any other modern firearm
in its era. The design in that regard reminds me of a car where you have
to take out the engine to replace the spark plugs. My former roommate
has one and he was never able to get it apart and back together inside of a
half hour or more, despite the fact that he read the directions
several times. Eventually he went faster with it, but still needed a mallet
to put it back together. IMO any gun that needs a HAMMER to reassemble
is flawed design. As far as field stripping is concerned, the gun has the dumbest
design, ever. The hex gizmo thing they sell probably makes it
easier, but since it's not my pistol I don't care much.

Basically, I'm spoiled by things like an AK or a Garand, or even a 1911, which
are all -EASY- to take apart and reassemble compared to the ruger
22's. Even my 1911 mutt gun which requires pet tricks with a paperclip
to take apart is a breeze compared to an MKII/MKIII.

When I had a MKII a few moons ago I found it was easier to simply take the
side panels off and blast the whole thing out with gun scrubber over a
bucket, and then clean the bore, then lightly lube the action and cycle it a
few times... back in business for another entire box of bulk pack or three.

I ended up dumping my MKII and not long thereafter acquiring a short barrel
SW22A. The 22A has some shortcomings itself, but cleaning it is not
one of them.

I am kind of annoyed at the 22 rimfire pistol market. Other than the
nice revolvers that are made by S+W, none of the guns seem to emulate
their centerfire counterparts very well at all. At one point I wanted to
get a 22LR glock upper, but a lack of field reports was not encouraging WRT
overall reliability. While I believe a 22 is an essential gun, I think the
market (ESPECIALLY in MA) is sorely lacking in terms of having better
pistols around. (If walther would make a P22 for people with
"larger than midget/dwarf" hands I'd buy one in a heartbeat!)

One thing I really hate about the new MKIII... having the mag release on
the frame is pointless... you still have to yank the mags out anyways... they
were better off just leaving it where it was on the MKII. If they don't drop
free a button is pointless. (there might be a mod/hack to fix that, though.).

-Mike

I love the Mk III. I'm selling mine because I need the cash for more guns, but it is a great gun. Reliable, accurate.

I own a MKIII. One thing about cleaning it is don't take off the grips,
better put on a junk pair. The Rugers a realtively easy to easy to clean,
but if the grips are off the pin that holds the hammer in will move and it
will not dry fire. I would recommend CCI standard velocity in plastic boxes,
or Aguila SE extra, or SK if you can find it.

As far as cost goes they are relativley inexpensive.

JimB

Mk-II

I own 2 Ruger Mk II .22's one with a tapered barrel and one with the bull barrel. Both are six inches I think. They are great pistols and very accurate.
There is a trick or two to taking them down and reassembling but once learned it is fairly simple. Just a matter of lining up the parts before trying to flip the lever back into place.

Back
Top Bottom