• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark III - Thoughts?

I hate them. [wink]

IMG_0693.jpg

The Mark II and Mark III are the original target / plinking gun. Many shooters first ever gun to fire and an absolute classic. I get nervous about the shape they are in because they get used so much.

I have a MK III and I'm very glad I bought it my son has a SR22 and wishes he got the MK III; he'll have one soon. Mine was new out of the box and works very well I don't plan on making any mods at the moment. Only problem I find with it is that it is very hungry and makes me go to the range often!

They are nice shooting guns but let's not get carried away, have you ever heard of a S&W Model 41 or a Pardini?
Different class of gun really. You could buy 3 or 4 MKIII's for the price of a Pardini and for most shooters, like myself, you will not do much better with the Pardini. Eyes are getting old, a little shaky from 10 cups of coffee a day for 40 years etc.

Different class of gun really. You could buy 3 or 4 MKIII's for the price of a Pardini and for most shooters, like myself, you will not do much better with the Pardini. Eyes are getting old, a little shaky from 10 cups of coffee a day for 40 years etc.

Oh come on now. It's not like we are talking Hammerli and Walther. [smile] I've met plenty of old guys drinking coffee then going onto the line and shoot in the high 280's.

I just use Gun Scrubber to blast out the internals in my MKIII Hunter, then spray some Hornady one shot cleaner and dry lube afterwards to keep it protected. Then run a bore snake through it a few times.

Oh come on now. It's not like we are talking Hammerli and Walther. [smile] I've met plenty of old guys drinking coffee then going onto the line and shoot in the high 280's.
Ya, not me unfortunately. I just cant hold very steady with 1 hand at 50'. I have tried and their were a lot of guys there older than me who were steady as a rock.

have one brand new never fired .....would trade or sell .

i have one i use this is a spare .... in orig box never fired 2 months old 5 1/2 bull barrel blued

love these guns

I'll resurrect this for a question:I just acquired a 22/45 lite, brand new as payment for some side work I did for a guy, and shot it a little for the first time last night. Other that leaving my little tool kit at home, and not having a screwdriver small enough to adjust the sights, I love it. Are the magazines always that miserable to load? It was almost a painful process. I put a little lube on the followers, which helped some, but it still sucked.

I'll resurrect this for a question:I just acquired a 22/45 lite, brand new as payment for some side work I did for a guy, and shot it a little for the first time last night. Other that leaving my little tool kit at home, and not having a screwdriver small enough to adjust the sights, I love it. Are the magazines always that miserable to load? It was almost a painful process. I put a little lube on the followers, which helped some, but it still sucked.

I used to pickup a 40 or 45 case first thing when getting to the range and use it to push the button on the mag... Then I spent the $8 for one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0054...ine+loader&dpPl=1&dpID=31vKz67bBiL&ref=plSrch

Get the Ultimate Cliploader they're around $30. Dump ammo in bin,shake to align ammo,insert mag and your done. You can load a mag in 5 seconds no problem.

I have a MKII and a MKIII Target with 5" bull barrels and a MKIII Hunter 6 7/8" fluted barrel. At least one comes to the range every time I go. You can't go wrong with a Ruger Mk pistol.

The ultimate clip loader is awesome. Run a bit of lube down the track where the rounds sit and if adjusted right it will load the entire magazine on one push. Otherwise you may have to pump it a few times. Either way though, it's a breeze. Huge fan.

Have a MKII Stainless bull barrel with a red dot site on it.

Its a blast to shoot only wish larger cap mags could be found.

Correct it is a bitch to clean but just buy a can of brake clean or something else of that nature and then snake the bore.

Its my only .22 pistol and the goto gun when the wood peckers get out of control.

I never got a Ruger back in 2008 because I was leary of other saying how bad it was to take down. I ended with the mosquito. Even tho it was a fun gun, it wasn't incredibly accurate and could be finicky. A few years ago I tried a co-workers 22/45 and it was great. Super accurate and reliable. Fast forward to Jan of this year I finally got my own 22/45 and it's been perfect. I also got a mallet the day I bought the gun because everyone said you needed it. In my case, I have never needed to use a mallet and have been able to take mine down by hand every time. The mark 3 is a lot tougher though and a mallet would need to be used until well broken in at least.

I also did a magazine safety disconnect removal. This is a must do in my opinion. It really makes taking the gun down much easier because you don't have to keep taking the magazine in and out to strip and assemble the gun. In the case of the 22/45 it will also allow the magazine to drop free of the gun when the release is pressed. I would also recommend changing the front sight. I changed mine to a green sight. I found when shooting on black targets I would start to lose the front sight.

I can easily strip my 22/45 in about 30 seconds, maybe less, and I can put it back together in about the same amount of time with the MSD removed.

Also, the ultimate clip loader is a must have for these guns. It makes loading the mags much faster. My first few trips to the range I loaded random bulk and CCI ammo mixed into the clip loader so I wouldn't know what was what. I wanted to see how the gun would shoot the ammo. I think out of the first few hundred rounds I had less than 5 malfunctions. Now that it's broken in my range trips are generally trouble free.

For cleaning I spray the internals with synthetic safe gun scrubber, then spray the gun with m7 pro cleaner, and use 6" Q-tips along with a bore snake.

Last edited:
Buy one - Teardown and cleaning is not as bad as its' made it out to be, once you get the knack and especially after defeating the mag disconnect.
Mag disconnect is the reason for the tandemcross bushing OR the Volquartsen MkII kit. The MkII kit from VQ includes upgrade parts for the trigger group, and a mag disconnect bushing like the tandemcross. (The MkII and MkIII kits from VQ are identical, the MkIII kit bushing requires that you keep the mag disconnect.)

The MkII / MkIII platform will be a great plinker or range gun, and will carry you all the way thru bullseye competition.
Agree with all of the above. My Mark III is a model 10159 Target (5.5 bull barrel with target grips). I had a 7 inch fluted Hunter mode but sold it becasue it was no more accurate than the 5 inch Target. FYI I am shooting a Pardini SP22 in Bullseye now and it is no more accurate than the Mark III when shot off a rest. The only thing the Pardini is better at is rapid fire Bullseye because it has less recoil but for plinking or target shooting the Mark III is just as accurate for 1/3rd the price.

P.S. Highly recommend the Volquartsen accurizing kit. Creates a really sweet 2.5 lb trigger pull plus after you have installed it you will never have any questions about takedown and cleaning of the gun again. I followed the video and while it took me 90 minutes (video is only 30 minutes) I ended up understanding how the gun works so now takedown and cleaning is not difficult. (pain in the ass... but not difficult)

Last edited:
Mark (II) III Decision tree:

Do you have one now? No. Go get one.
Do you have one now? Yes. Get another and pimp it out

If you do get one the Volquartsen trigger kit is a good investment as is the Tandemkross bushing to eliminate the mag disconnect. I have 10's of thousands of rounds through mine and have only had 1 issue, the extractor broke and that was last night.

I won a Mk III (same as one that was posted here, Target w/Target Grips - http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIITarget/specSheets/10159.html ) - and I love it - however...

It had an *AWFUL* trigger - really, really bad. I started shooting a lille bullseye with it and everyone recommended the Volquartsen Mk II/II trigger upgrade kit. This kit includes the correct bushing to eliminate the mag disconnect (midway, was on sale for like 15% off when I got it - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/414646/volquartsen-accurizing-kit-ruger-mark-ii-22-45 ).

In addition to not having to deal with the foolishness of a mag disconnect it also allows the mags to actually eject - as in "Make sure you catch it" eject, instead of pop out just enough to pull them out.

Well worth the money at full retail price. Trigger is beautiful now. 2.5#, breaks crisp and clean, resets great, and I finally have it adjusted to where I will be locktighting the screws in place.

The only other thing I have added (other than a cheap red dot that will be replaced with an UltraDot for bullseye) is the Tandemkross ""Shadow" Picatinny Rail for Ruger Mark Series and 22/45" (http://www.tandemkross.com/Shadow-Picatinny-Rail-for-Ruger-Mark-Series-and-2245--BLACK_p_128.html ). The Weaver rail it shipped with has me mounting stuff much farther forward than I like for balance, and projects over the barrel. I had it out recently with this rail and the cheap reddot and it was *MUCH* better handling with the weight moved back.

Anyway, I posted this elsewhere recently. Some may find it amusing...

-----------------

As the legend goes…

Many years ago the Devil met with St. William of Ruger. Appearing before him in a stink of sulfur he proclaimed…
“Behold, I will give you the best .22lr pistol you have ever seen…

Never Fail,
Never Jam,
Never Quit on you…

In exchange, I will gladly accept your soul…”

St. Ruger said, “I would like to know how it works.”

The Devil proceeded to show him how it works, how it operates, and how it came to be.

St. Ruger asked, “How does this thing come apart?”

The Devil said, “For that I am going to need your soul”

St. Ruger said, “I’ll figure it out…”

---

St. William of Ruger did do battle with takedown on this pistol. He did fight with the bolt stop, finally hammering it into submission, removed from the steely grasp of the receiver channel, the mainspring finally fell free – and all was good with the world.

And lo, St. Ruger did make a fine .22lr pistol, one of the best. But still, since it was the work of The Devil, many things where still wrong with it.

The trigger pull was like dragging a bag of rocks up a gravel driveway.

When the trigger broke it was as a cream doughnut, soft and squishy and you were never sure when it would stop.

And lo, the reset was inconsistent and weak.

And the masses wept. For this was a beautiful piece. Well balanced and reliable, it seemed dammed by this fault. Destined to be shunned and scorned for a trigger loved only by lawyers.

---

One day an accolade, one who studied long the arts of triggers, appeared. “See unto this. I have undone the work of Satan, patron of Lawyers and Master of Evil.”

“If you can do battle and conquer the Bolt Stop, remove the Main Spring, and follow relatively simple instructions, you can install these parts. Much great study and time has been spent to produce these, with which you may have smooth, short pull, clean break, and crisp reset on your St. Ruger Mk III.”

And Lo! The masses did rejoice! And so St. Volquartzen was revealed.

Long did they both labor, and brought great joy to The Brethren of St. Ruger.

Back
Top Bottom