• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark III - Thoughts?

I was at MFS today and was looking at the handguns.

The Ruger Mark III looks like a good target/plinker gun.

Any experiences or comments?

TIA

I have two; a Hunter model and another with a red dot sight and threaded barrel for a suppressor.

They are awesome. Takedown is a bitch.

Those two statements will summarize the majority of opinions you get regarding MKIII pistols. I put a Volquartsen MKII (yes, mk2) accurizing kit in each; the kits are worth their weight in gold.

I prefer the 22/45 mark III. Grip angle is more similar to other firearms. The regular mark III is still nice.

IMO necessary upgrades include the following
-fiberoptic front sight
-TandemKross bushing for mag disconnect removal - this allows the mags to seat much better and drop free
-TandemKross LCI filler to remove the awful and unnecessary LCI

if you can find a model w replaceable grip panels thats even better....i acquired a 22/45 w fixed panels and i wish i got replaceable ones. Oh well.

if youre looking for just an all around easy 22 pistol, get an SR22....super easy to maintain compared to a mark III and SR22 needs no work out of the box.

I was at MFS today and was looking at the handguns.

The Ruger Mark III looks like a good target/plinker gun.

Any experiences or comments?

TIA

Buy one! It's my most-often fired gun. I put a red-dot scope on it to help out with the accuracy.

- - - Updated - - -

Very accurate, not that fun to clean.....

I solved that by just never bothering to clean it anymore. I've put a few thousand rounds through it since that decision, and it hasn't malfunctioned yet.

My MKIII target is my favorite gun. Very accurate and dependable. Take down is a little more difficult than others but it is not as bad as most would have you think. I would recommend getting the MKII bushing for it to eliminate the mag disconnect. It make take down easier and allows the mags to drop free. I also have a MKII and an SR22 and the MK series guns are a lot more solid than the SR22. I like the SR22 but if I had my choice I would get a MK. MY MKII is a 22/45 series. Basically the same as the MKIII but has a different grip angle.

My MK III has been great. Shot it until it was filthy. Take down sucks but doesnt need to be done nearly as often as some guns. I usually just clean the bore, oil and blow out everything with compressed air.

Buy one - Teardown and cleaning is not as bad as its' made it out to be, once you get the knack and especially after defeating the mag disconnect.
Mag disconnect is the reason for the tandemcross bushing OR the Volquartsen MkII kit. The MkII kit from VQ includes upgrade parts for the trigger group, and a mag disconnect bushing like the tandemcross. (The MkII and MkIII kits from VQ are identical, the MkIII kit bushing requires that you keep the mag disconnect.)

The MkII / MkIII platform will be a great plinker or range gun, and will carry you all the way thru bullseye competition.

I have the Hunter. Take down after you do it a couple times is no problem. Just read the instructions and follow them to the letter and you'll be fine.

I have a MKI (actually Ruger Standard) that is older than me. For me, great range/plinker gun and never had issues on any round nose ammo. All new shooters that I bring to the range enjoy shooting it. I dont think you can go wrong with one. Good Luck

I have a sr22, a Mark II standard and a mark iii hunter and the Mark II and three go to the range a couple times a week. Take your time the first couple of times and learn the take down steps. I can strip and put mine back together in a couple of mins and it not that bad. Awesome gun and I would buy another without a second thought.

Love mine, Greg Derr did the trigger and set it up as a starter bullseye gun. I have a friend who knows how to take it down and a case of beer gets me a clean gun, although I didn't clean it for 3k rounds and it could have taken more.

Do you really need to take it apart to clean? Why not just run a snake through it? They last forever. I'd go for a 5" standard model myself.

Best 22 semi hands down. Takedown takes some practice and can be tough at first until gun loosens up but there are YouTube videos that will help. The key is to make sure that the hammer strut is in the correct position. The reason I think it is best hands down is :

1, Accuracy. I shot Bullseye for 2 years with a Mark III target bull barrel and it was more accurate than me. A volquartsen accurizing kit gives a nice 2.5 lb trigger. I've shot 10 round groups into a single 1/4 inch group at 50 feet off a sand bag with Eley Edge.

2. Reliability. It shoots ANYTHING without issues. I mean anything. Standard velocity, high velocity, subsonic, lead, copper plated, waxed, oiled.. you name it. WHen 22LR is hit and miss it is nice to know you can stick anything in it

I know several people who shoot Bullseye with it including one guy with a Mark II. I've also owned a Hunter and it was just as accurate as the 5.5 inch Bull Barrel.

One caveat is that nobody I've shot with has owned the thin "standard Barrel" version.

Do you really need to take it apart to clean? Why not just run a snake through it? They last forever. I'd go for a 5" standard model myself.
To Laura's point. If you remove the loaded chamber indicator (or at least the thin spring loaded flange that sticks into the chamber) you can shoot it for quite a while without field stripping it. Just run patches with CLP through the bore and chamber and clean out the chamber/trigger/hammer area with a cue tip. It will stay pretty clean. Unfortunately the loaded chamber indicator creates a couple of thin crevices that accumulate residue in the chamber area.

I just bought a Mk III,replaced the lci and the extractor but in trying to remove the mag disconnect the insides fell out.
It's with Gregg Derr waiting to be put back together. Also will replace the grips when I get it back. If you don't want to disassemble the pistol for cleaning get yourself a can of aerosol brake cleaner to clean the nooks and crannies.

Last edited:
They are nice shooting guns but let's not get carried away, have you ever heard of a S&W Model 41 or a Pardini?
Just be careful with S&W - their 41 is a superb .22 target pistol, whereas the S&S 422 and 622 are more "plinking grade" guns below the Ruger Mk II/III on the food chain of coolness.

My new MkIII Target did not work until I replaced the factory extractor with a Volquartsen Edge extractor. Your factory extractor may work fine, but mine was almost bald and had almost no tension resulting in FTE failures every 10-20 rounds.

Now that I've replaced it and removed the mag disconnect, it is a very nice shooter

They are nice shooting guns but let's not get carried away, have you ever heard of a S&W Model 41 or a Pardini?

I still own a 41 and sold my Pardini here on NES when I got out of Bullseye. I'm guessing the poster has not shot either. Another fantastic gun is an original High Standard Victor. Problem was I bought the Pardini for what the shop wanted for one. Wish I never sold my Victor or my Target models.

first gun I purchased was the MKIII.....I clean it after every use and early on made the mistake of trying to take it down.....had to have a nice NES member stop by to bail me out and put it back together [laugh].....great gun tho go for it

I failed to mention that the Ruger is a very good gun and it works great for the money. After upgrades (and there are many available) it only gets better. As we all know many guns can out perform their owners. I did not intend to come across as a snob.

The takedown does suck. It's sucks worse when you compare it to the other offerings. I've helped a few people with the cleaning and in one case the customer service over the phone was some of the best I've ever had. It is advised you don't shoot shot shells thru these guns. That is what the CS told me when my friend in Maine had his gun all screwed up and a local "smith" gouged the crap out of the area of the takedown lever.

I've had my Mk3 22/45 LITE a month now. Ruger MK series pistols have been a standard to measure others against because of their reliability. My last target quality .22 pistol was a S&W 2206TGT that I missed dearly. I had held off getting a Ruger for a long time because of the bad rap its take down has. I had at one time passed up a Clark Custom built by Sr. for which I could now kick myself. It actually didn't take long to learn the proper sequence to put it back together. They don't need to have mods but personalizing one is part of the fun. I haven't started buying parts yet, but I do have a list.

I agree with the OP. Best .22 hands down. I would have phrased it a little differently, though: best ALL AROUND .22. 41's and Pardinis are nice, but their niche is in target shooting. The MKII and MKIII target pistols can approach their accuracy (not equal it) in the hands of a skilled shooter, go to the range and punch paper or ring steel targets, be used for teaching new shooters the ropes, go in a holster for a walk in the woods and used to bring home supper. They're just more versatile. The Ruger .22 pistols are far from being one trick ponys.

MKIII is a great plinker that can be a great Bullseye competition gun with some upgrades. There is a take down tool available now, for whiners who have tough time. I once took mine apart COMPLETELY, and with help of Youtube put it back together. Gun is indestructible.MKIII is in a very reasonable price range, so are the upgrades- red dot, Volquartsen trigger group, mag release, Voltan target grips, V- compensator.

Back
Top Bottom