Ruger Mark I rear sight

I love this gun even though it's given me a few gray hairs. Maybe I should have spent a few extra bucks and got a newer model but then I wouldn't have all these opportunities to learn what can go wrong with a gun, eh?

My current problem is with the the sights. First of all, the front sight loosens up every time I use it. What's up with that? But worse, I can't seem to get this thing properly sighted on the rear sight. I was working on it for maybe an hour and a half today (with two M&P breaks, just for fun). Since I bought it (maybe two months ago) it has consistently grouped to the left, sometimes high and sometimes low. Today was the first time I really concentrated on fixing the problem but it seemed like no matter how I adjusted it, it was soon back to the "left of center". Is this some kind of cosmically cruel political joke? Is it bad Karma? What could cause this kind of drift and what's the fix? Perhaps someday soon I'll ask about my jamming problems but for now this rear sight is really driving me nuts!

Thanks, you guys are great!

No, I'm not shooting from a rest but my groups are consistently to the left. When I adjust the sight to the right it's dead on for a few shots and then back to you know where. You can actually see that the sight has moved and I actually adjusted it waaay to the right once just to prove to myself how pronounced this drift is after a few shots. I wonder if there is some substance I can put on the screw threads to bind things up? Or maybe there is some other cause I'm not picking up on. I have a group of friends who are planning to do some shooting soon and I'm know this gun will get a lot of use since a couple of them are new to shooting. I hope I can get it accurately sighted in within the next week so if they are aiming at a potato or a rutabaga they have some hope of doing some damage!

Back
Top Bottom