• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LC9(s) slide stop?

msdamato

NES Member
I understand the slide stop is just that and not a release but why? The mechanism doesn't look that different from other firearm with a lock/release. Can it be changed? I love my lc9s, it not having a slide release is the one thing that bugs me.

Use it as a release if you want. What is your hesitation?

Personally, I prefer to train using the slingshot method and never use the release/stop to chamber a round.

I tried for giggles and couldn't seem to get enough leverage to use it as a release. It felt like I'd break something first, so for once I quit before things got expensive. I always use them slingshot method when shooting, but will use a release when cleaning or getting familiar with the gun.

my LC9S pro was the same way (before i sold it of course). the issue is the way ruger cuts the notch on the slide. the angle of the notch cut is such that it puts upward pressure on the slide stop. it's near impossible to overcome this with a thumb by pushing down.

probably the easiest solution is to just leave it alone and learn to slingshot the slide. alternatively one can take a few gentle swipes with a diamond file to round out the edge a bit and give it a more "forward angle". this will allow downward pressure to drop the slide. the issues with this are 1) slight removal of the cerakote/nitron finish and 2) if done too much, the slide may drop too easily like with a nudge, bump or inserting new mag.

if i had kept the LC9s i would have made the modification, but once I felt a G43 I had zero use for an LC9s anymore so it got sold.

no the issue is the slide. not the slide stop. it's the cut on the slide. magnifier and headlamp will reveal. the slide stop isn't what needs fixing, and if one over-corrects the slide then the slide is toast. a new slide stop won't be useful.

reload when still one in the chamber. Not having a one handed method to drop the slide makes me wonder how you got the second mag out and into the pistol. [smile]

no the issue is the slide. not the slide stop. it's the cut on the slide. magnifier and headlamp will reveal. the slide stop isn't what needs fixing, and if one over-corrects the slide then the slide is toast. a new slide stop won't be useful.

Well I'm not interested in buying a new slide. I'll have to do some looking when I have some time.

reload when still one in the chamber. Not having a one handed method to drop the slide makes me wonder how you got the second mag out and into the pistol. [smile]

I LIKE TO HAVE THE OPTION! I'm not going to throw the gun out or not use it if I can't fix it, all my past carry guns have had a stop/release and I'm used to it. I can and have already trained myself to use the slide instead but again, I like a slide release.

Back
Top Bottom