• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger GP100 Match Champion

awesome. get one. w wolff trigger springs installed the DA pull gets even sweeter.

I polished up the internals of my GP100 and installed a wolf spring kit, williams hi-Vis sight set and some cocobolo grips, can't imagine the match champion having much over it.

It does look better balanced though with the half lug.

I polished up the internals of my GP100 and installed a wolf spring kit, williams hi-Vis sight set and some cocobolo grips, can't imagine the match champion having much over it.

It does look better balanced though with the half lug.

agree one can certainly do a little polishing inside and swap springs on the standard GP100 and get the trigger just as nice as the match champion. however the match champion has the chamfered cylinder holes (meh) and tapered cylinder (meh unless holstering often then maybe nice).

the half lug does help the balance. less nose heavy. it points easier. for one handed shooting it makes a big difference. for two handed less so. the muzzle is also recessed and crowned differently than standard model. also nice if you drop it often LOL.

I hear what your saying Squib. In my case I spent maybe 100 bucks all in on the "upgrades" and it made a huge difference. I dont know the price difference between a regular GP100 and the match champion, but im betting its more than 100.00.

I guess if your a good enough competitor/shooter to utilize the enhancements the Match Champion offers it makes sense, but that leaves me out of that scenario!

Been curious to try out the Match Champion as I have the standard 6" stainless model. I had Greg Derr do a trigger job which made the trigger very nice (don't know how good compared to MC). I wonder how the trigger would be if I changed out the springs? I don't think Greg changed the springs...It could effect reliability if I go too light on the springs of course. Cheap enough to try out....

Anyway, sorry I didn't add much to the topic of discussion[laugh] Reading this thread made me consider looking at the springs in my GP100.

Running the wolff springs and no lightstikes in just over 1k rounds. I have heard that ruger increaded their trigger springs for legal reasons and the design was intended to operate just fine w lighter springs. The hammer is huge and has plenty of leverage on it. I havent seen anyone on the ruger forums report light strikes with the wolff springs.

now if ruger would just make a 5 rd 44 mag chambering of the GP100 that would be sick. Basically competition for the S&W model 69 (44 mag L frame).

- - - Updated - - -

I really like the streamlined half lug look this revolver has. How much are they going for?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Carl at FS had good deal on them, but the MC model isnt the easist to find in shop. Any dealer should transfer it though.

I had light strikes with wolf springs. The spring kit I purchased came with a variety of springs, I started with the lightest and worked my way up until I had 100% reliability. I didnt want to go through the hassle of using exclusively federal primers, which is recommended with the lighter springs. All in all, I'd put my trigger up against anything out there short of a full blown match bullseye pistol.

I had light strikes with wolf springs. The spring kit I purchased came with a variety of springs, I started with the lightest and worked my way up until I had 100% reliability. I didnt want to go through the hassle of using exclusively federal primers, which is recommended with the lighter springs. All in all, I'd put my trigger up against anything out there short of a full blown match bullseye pistol.
How much did your gp100 match cost you?

awesome. get one. w wolff trigger springs installed the DA pull gets even sweeter.

EXACTLY what I was going to write. Except to also add the hogue grip with no finger grooves. Wicked Pissa!
20160403_151749.jpg

edit: Never a light strike with the Wolf kit and I started with the lightest ones in the kit. I figured-what the hell-if ever a problem, I'll tune it. never needed to.

Last edited:
How much did your gp100 match cost you?

sorry for the late reply, been busy.

i was speaking of the GP100 and what modifications I did to it, I got it for 4 and change NIB, obviously a few years ago. From what I've seen the Match isn't that much more than the traditional GP100.

Friend of mine just bought her first gun (after having an LTC for over four years, but no 'discretionary' income). She called me from BassPro to ask what she should look at. I suggested the GP100, and she ended up with the Match Champion model. Took her to the range with it last week, and it's very nice. Compared very well with my new S&W Model 66. I like that it's all polished, whereas my S&W has black controls and trigger. I do like my Hogue grip better than her wooden one (although the wood looks nice).

Back
Top Bottom