Ruger GP100 Champoin Match .357

I have had conflicting answers about this from various shops. Out in W.Mass all my regular shops tell me no, not compliant and can't sell them. Ruger's website says no. However, I know that Pullman had one a while back and apparently the Gun Room did too. According to one of my LGSs they were told that Ruger did submit for compliance so it's wait and see. Definitely on my list when they do become available.

See I don't think that is conflicting. It's not approved. But if an FFL is willing to sell it, go for it. I mean it's still just a GP, but some FFLs are sticklers ... if the model number isn't on the list regardless of it's a GP or not it's not going to happen. Others are more lax. Since there is no "Talo" in the name I suspect you'd be more likely to find the MC in a shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a silly question. Aesthetics and model number only. [emoji12] I found this out when I went looking for a Talo edition for myself.

I was able to download the 9-2014 approval list and it is not approved as of yet. Does anyone know when this might happen?

Dave - this is not meant as insulting, but why did you download the list. It's clearly not approved. It says so right on the spec sheet from Ruger. I'm pretty sure Ruger would know if their firearm is approved or not. Especially since the main goal of theirs is to sell them, lots of them, and legally at that. I do find it interesting that it is approved for the second hardest state to get approvals with all their own special requirements, California.

As for anyone knowing when it [or any gun] will be approved, how are we going to know that? That's between Ruger, the center that performs the certification testing, and Massachusetts. I would suggest you could call Ruger and see if they even admit if they are submitting it for approval. My personal guess is that they won't submit it, even if they say they are. Why? They haven't pursued approval of Talo Edition 1, Talo Edition 2, and now suddenly they are going to pursue approval of the Match Champion version of the GP. No matter what others say, including Ruger, I just don't think they will be submitting it. It's a cost that Ruger doesn't seem is willing to bear for limited sale of one firearm in ONE state. Ruger told me once they were seeking certification of the Talo Edition #1, and then they promptly stopped production on a limited run of the revolvers. So what's the point in getting it approved now?

If you are the same person that I replied to on FB looking for the Match Champion - I think you should start looking for a FFL that is willing to transfer one. A better bet is finding a person that moved in with one and that is willing to sell one face to face. Your best bet is to start a WTB add on NES and bump it weekly for as long as it takes. Any of those option are probably going to pay off faster than waiting for Ruger to get it approved - which is likely never.

Dave - this is not meant as insulting, but why did you download the list. It's clearly not approved. It says so right on the spec sheet from Ruger. I'm pretty sure Ruger would know if their firearm is approved or not. Especially since the main goal of theirs is to sell them, lots of them, and legally at that. I do find it interesting that it is approved for the second hardest state to get approvals with all their own special requirements, California.

As for anyone knowing when it [or any gun] will be approved, how are we going to know that? That's between Ruger, the center that performs the certification testing, and Massachusetts. I would suggest you could call Ruger and see if they even admit if they are submitting it for approval. My personal guess is that they won't submit it, even if they say they are. Why? They haven't pursued approval of Talo Edition 1, Talo Edition 2, and now suddenly they are going to pursue approval of the Match Champion version of the GP. No matter what others say, including Ruger, I just don't think they will be submitting it. It's a cost that Ruger doesn't seem is willing to bear for limited sale of one firearm in ONE state. Ruger told me once they were seeking certification of the Talo Edition #1, and then they promptly stopped production on a limited run of the revolvers. So what's the point in getting it approved now?

If you are the same person that I replied to on FB looking for the Match Champion - I think you should start looking for a FFL that is willing to transfer one. A better bet is finding a person that moved in with one and that is willing to sell one face to face. Your best bet is to start a WTB add on NES and bump it weekly for as long as it takes. Any of those option are probably going to pay off faster than waiting for Ruger to get it approved - which is likely never.

The best thing to do is.. .

STOP CARING about whether or not it is compliant. It's quite literally not your problem. If a dealer sells you something they're not supposed to, oh well, you win! (only dealers can be held liable. ) Not to mention I've had dealers refuse to sell me stuff that was 110% EOPS and CMR 940 compliant, so any such lists, decrees, determinations, etc, are useless to the consumer, because the dealer is the final arbiter regardless. Call shops and find one. Pound some couch cushions. Put up a WTB ad possibly. Buy it.

Also, food for thought... Ruger legal department is FUBAR. I wouldn't trust them if they told me the time of day, they're probably wrong. More pure, raw stupidity has come out of that company's legal department in the past couple years than all the others combined. [laugh]

-Mike

Not a silly question. Aesthetics and model number only. [emoji12] I found this out when I went looking for a Talo edition for myself.

I had a Ruger Talo 22 revolver on order thru a local gun shop for almost a year when they finally realized it was not approved. This was a couple years back.

I had a Ruger Talo 22 revolver on order thru a local gun shop for almost a year when they finally realized it was not approved. This was a couple years back.

Ruger doesn't understand ma laws and caters to their lawyers. The GP100 is on the approved roster. The MC is just a fancy version and there isn't really clear guidance as far as I can tell as to whether or not that makes a difference, so rugger lawyers, in their typical way say it's not. The law doesn't seem to though, so it would probably be a stretch to actually get in trouble for selling one and many do. But as others have said, who gives a shit? If you want one just frigging buy one...

I know right. At least when I tried to order the GP Talo, as soon as my FFL heard "Talo" he said nope not going to happen. That's when I started digging into all this non-compliant BS. I mean, come on. It's a revolver for crying out loud.

Ruger doesn't understand ma laws and caters to their lawyers. The GP100 is on the approved roster. The MC is just a fancy version and there isn't really clear guidance as far as I can tell as to whether or not that makes a difference, so rugger lawyers, in their typical way say it's not. The law doesn't seem to though, so it would probably be a stretch to actually get in trouble for selling one and many do. But as others have said, who gives a shit? If you want one just frigging buy one...
MJP - see the issue is, and we are totally derailing this thread now [not that it couldn't as soon as you talk approved, non-approved], that from my research in compliance it's not that GP100 is on the list, it's that the model numbers change. If a gun manufacturer changes pretty much anything to a firearm, the model number changes to distinguish that. Sure it may be a GP100, but now it carries a new model number. And with that according to Mass, means it's a whole new firearm and it needs to be re-testing for safety/approval. Even if the changes are only cosmetic. Ruger then says F' it...we'll just not sell the limited editions in Mass.

OP...not sure if you're still looking but Four Seasons just sent out an email saying they have them available.

rugergp_122.jpg

OP...not sure if you're still looking but Four Seasons just sent out an email saying they have them available.

rugergp_122.jpg

I bought the Ruger GP-100 Match Champion back in March at a well known MA Gun Shop. I had no reason to even think about a roster. It is a beautiful revolver, the grip is awesome. I had trigger work done by Greg Derr and it made it even more sweet to shoot. It is my favorite. I moved out of MA a few months ago and still love my beautiful GP 100 Match Champion. [smile]

rugergp_122.jpg

I got this email last night too.
They got 10 in and when I called this morning, he told me they were just about all gone.
Got mine on hold and will have it inside the next few hours.

Picked mine up a few hours ago. Feels great and I'm sure after a little breaking in, it will just get better.
I found the grind on the back of the hammer to be less than perfect but they were able to bring out a second one that looked better (and had a darker grip finish)
I'm happy I found one and will give it my first rounds through on Sunday.

Picked mine up a few hours ago. Feels great and I'm sure after a little breaking in, it will just get better.
I found the grind on the back of the hammer to be less than perfect but they were able to bring out a second one that looked better (and had a darker grip finish)
I'm happy I found one and will give it my first rounds through on Sunday.

Great! Now, go green and go to the range!

New model with adjustable rear sight (1755) is not on the list yet. Fixed rear sight model (1754) showed up on the latest list. As I understand it, there is no difference between the two models except the rear sight. I'm waiting for the adjustable rear, but who knows for how long.

New model with adjustable rear sight (1755) is not on the list yet. Fixed rear sight model (1754) showed up on the latest list. As I understand it, there is no difference between the two models except the rear sight. I'm waiting for the adjustable rear, but who knows for how long.
Aren't there aftermarket adjustable sight options available to replace the fixed factory sight?

Aren't there aftermarket adjustable sight options available to replace the fixed factory sight?

^This. Or just call Ruger and buy a "replacement" adjustable version and swap it out. I wouldn't hold off on buying a gun that I really wanted because of a sight that takes less than 5 minutes to swap!

^This. Or just call Ruger and buy a "replacement" adjustable version and swap it out. I wouldn't hold off on buying a gun that I really wanted because of a sight that takes less than 5 minutes to swap!
I'm not sure if that's possible. Based on the pics on Ruger's website, the entire frame appears different in order to accommodate the new sight.

BTW if my gun said GP100 Champoin on it id keep it cause laugh value. Just saying....

Back
Top Bottom