• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 10/22 Takedown model?

Does anyone here have experience with the Ruger 10/22 Takedown model? I've been thinking about getting a .22LR rifle, and the ability to easily disassemble it into a not-a-rifle shape, then reassemble it just as fast, kind of appeals to me. Is it a genuinely useful feature, or is it just a gadget? Do takedown rifles have any extra problems as compared to regular rifles?

In particular, has anyone here tried a 10/22 with the Magpul Hunter stock, with the compartment for extra magazines?

Thanks.

Does anyone here have experience with the Ruger 10/22 Takedown model? I've been thinking about getting a .22LR rifle, and the ability to easily disassemble it into a not-a-rifle shape, then reassemble it just as fast, kind of appeals to me. Is it a genuinely useful feature, or is it just a gadget?
Even better than the takedown rifle (assuming you are not in MA or the like) is the Charger takedown "pistol" with a brace:
brace-12-01912-1576001861.jpg

Do takedown rifles have any extra problems as compared to regular rifles?
Because the optic is on the receiver (unless you switch to an aftermarket barrel), there's the perception that a scope might lose zero after takedown and reassembly.

Definitely makes cleaning the barrel easier :)

Last edited:
Love mine, only end up ever using it for teaching the kiddos and new shooters though. No bells and whistles on it just stock. Not ammo particular as far as I can tell.

The 10/22 takedown is a nice little gun. It shines with the Magpul Backpacker stock. If you’re willing to spend a few hundred more up front (instead of $500+ more in customizing the Ruger over time) check out the Tactical Solutions X-Ring Takedown. It comes with the Backpacker stock and fit and finish are excellent - no need to really upgrade anything.

1603593803826.png

The 10/22 takedown is a nice little gun. It shines with the Magpul Backpacker stock. If you’re willing to spend a few hundred more up front (instead of $500+ more in customizing the Ruger over time) check out the Tactical Solutions X-Ring Takedown. It comes with the Backpacker stock and fit and finish are excellent - no need to really upgrade anything.

View attachment 403379
Take down is very convenient if you live in the city , travel on public trans, motor bike or bicycle.
Or just like a gun that just splits into parts.

The takedown is excellent w sole exception of receiver mounted optics. There is slight POI shift with disassembly/reassembly. I’m not going to get into A silly debate about this. It’s insignificant at shorter distances or with say a red dot. However if you’re using a magnified Optic shooting groups at 50+ yards it’s an issue. for this reason people are starting to mount their red dots on the barrel directly in lieu of rear sight. This is my OCD preference.

heres an example:

as noted in above posts if Tac Sol makes a take down you like just buy it as it will kick ass and need zero upgrades. It will also hold much higher resale value than an upgraded Ruger model.

The takedown is excellent w sole exception of receiver mounted optics. There is slight POI shift with disassembly/reassembly. I’m not going to get into A silly debate about this. It’s insignificant at shorter distances or with say a red dot. However if you’re using a magnified Optic shooting groups at 50+ yards it’s an issue. for this reason people are starting to mount their red dots on the barrel directly in lieu of rear sight. This is my OCD preference.
I have a takedown and this 100% but I’m not doing any long distance bullseye or competition shooting and the 10/22 takedown is just a fun gun.

The 10/22 takedown is my most favorite rifle.
It's great for iron sights out of the box. 22lr ammo is (relatively) inexpensive, so I've put some money into upgrading the gun, and can justify that I'm saving money in the long run over shooting any other caliber.
If you put an optic on it, you'll need to re-zero it after you break it down. That gets annoying and is really the only downside to the takedown, so I replaced the barrel with a $300 Volquartsen upgrade where the optic rail attaches to the barrel (not the top of the receiver), and I really recommend it. The optic stays with barrel and holds a perfect zero when I take it down and re-assemble it (it's also a great barrel, but I went for the function of holding zero). I'll also recommend the ruger bx trigger upgrade for $70, but that's just a preference.

This is the barrel. It's awesome:

It's the only rifle I own right now until I can get the M&P 15-22. I picked it over all the others when I got it, the takedown part is pretty nice.

The 10/22 takedown is my most favorite rifle.
It's great for iron sights out of the box. 22lr ammo is (relatively) inexpensive, so I've put some money into upgrading the gun, and can justify that I'm saving money in the long run over shooting any other caliber.
If you put an optic on it, you'll need to re-zero it after you break it down. That gets annoying and is really the only downside to the takedown, so I replaced the barrel with a $300 Volquartsen upgrade where the optic rail attaches to the barrel (not the top of the receiver), and I really recommend it. The optic stays with barrel and holds a perfect zero when I take it down and re-assemble it (it's also a great barrel, but I went for the function of holding zero). I'll also recommend the ruger bx trigger upgrade for $70, but that's just a preference.

This is the barrel. It's awesome:
How far off is the zero when you reassemble. Is it more than when you change ammo type?
Is it more than what you/gun/ammo are capable of?
My thoughts for a break down is end use.
Would it be minute of small game with out readjusting your zero?

i would be interested in seeing groups comparisons from "zeroed" to take down reassemble cool down amd another 10_shot group.

I have the 10/22 takedown with a UTG bug buster 3-9x32 scope and it holds within minute of squirrel out to about 50 yards. I would not use it to shoot bullseye competitions. It is my go to squirrel (bushy tailed rat) gun.

A non takedown Charger pistol with a brace is better, especially with a folding... brace. Very accurate with standard velocity ammunition and the velocity loss from a 16 or 18 inch barrel is minimal, even with hyper velocity ammo.

If you can't own one of those, look for a bullpup conversion for a standard 10/22. If you want an ultra small, light, and carry capable .22, consider getting a Ruger Mark with a 7 or 10 inch barrel and a red dot sight. Could probably hit 4 inch plates at 50y all day with that.

My takedown is in a magpul backpacker stock. It’s been a great plinker. I like using the irons just fine. My heavy barreled standard 10/22 is scoped so that itch is satisfied. Magpul does have a mount to attach on the fore-end over the barrel if that’s your flavor. Plus the ability to have 4 mags on the gun is nice.

Back
Top Bottom