Rock Island 1911 tactical opinions?

GooseManCometh

NES Member
I was looking at a RIA Tactical 1911 today. For the price (about $550 out the door) it was hard to pass up (I did for the time being but it's eating away at me a bit and I might be back to snatch it up sooner rather than later). I know there are a number of NES'ers that have these and I am interested in your opinions on them. Worth the price? Do they feel like they would hold up over time?

Personally, IMO and for a few more dollars the Remington R1 enhanced is a great 1911. While I know its more expensive I believe it is a better pistol. While the rock islands are good, a few friends of mine have upgraded to Remington's from rock islands and are glad they did. I owned a R1 and loved it. Just my 2 cents, best of luck with whatever you decide.

Got one for my wife. She loves it. A little stiff out of the box but after about 200 rounds she's a smooth running machine. The ambi safety it comes with is a little narrower cut than most, so the right grip panel needs to be filed/sanded down to fit.

Also, $550 is a little on the wicked high, side. Damn Mass pricing!

20131230_154937.jpg
Hogue grips not included.

I have the 1911-A1 CS (compact) and it is the worst gun I have ever owned by a good margin.

It's on its second trip back to Armscor now and has barely fired a mag without a jam in the 2 months or so I've owned if. If we reach the third trip back I'll tell them to keep it.

RIA COMPACT-45?

I have the 1911-A1 CS (compact) and it is the worst gun I have ever owned by a good margin.

It's on its second trip back to Armscor now and has barely fired a mag without a jam in the 2 months or so I've owned if. If we reach the third trip back I'll tell them to keep it.

What type of jam and what have they done to try to rectify?

THANKS
DOWNWIND

Here's what I have had, in no particular order:

mag drops from gun on firing

mag refuses to drop from gun making jam difficult to clear

failure to feed from magazine (slide closes empty)

double feed

failure to return to battery (slide able to be closed by hand)

failure to return to battery (slide hung up on take down notch)

failure to return to battery (last round in mag jumps extractor and chambers, extractor hits rim of case when slide closes)

brass ejects into shooters face

gun jams with empty case jammed into feed lips of mag

Empty brass unsuccessfully ejects and is smashed by slide

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but there probably have been a couple of other problems.

The gun has about 350 rounds through. I've probably had 2 or 3 mags full that were problem free.

I have tried factory and Wilson Combat mags and Federal American Eagle, Winchester White Box and Fiocchi FMJ ammo (230gr).

I sent the gun in and they did what they called a "reliability tune". Clearly it had some attention as most of the friction surfaces of the gun had been stripped of the factory parkerized finish and polished smooth. This seems to have eliminated the problems with mags dropping and locking up, the hang up on the take down notch and the failure to feed a cartridge from the mag entirely issue. The remaining issues persist.

I posted a pic of the brass.

The folks at Armscor have been nice. When the gun fires it's quite accurate for its size. But I'm tired of dealing with the gun at this point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I own a 2011 Tactical. No issues after the break-in period. I like it and my wife likes it. Accidentally dropped it on its rear site and crushed one of the nite-site dots. When I asked about buying a replacement site (because it was my fault) they had me ship it back and they swapped it out on their dime. Great customer service.

Btw rocket500, I had brass from my reloads that looked like that during break-in period. I got a couple more factory magazines and using those solved that problem.

Regards,
Jason

Last edited:
Have the 9mm Compact Tac, and LOVE it! VERY accurate, has never skipped a beat. Only complaint I have, is that the grip safety rattles a bit. Pricewise, check out Buds Guns. $460 cash/$473 CC free shipping.

I have both 9mm and 45,they are both the tactical model and have no issues. The only con is the sights are all black and I have to paint or replace.

Would you mind telling me here or via PM which store stocks Rock Island 1911s? A friend of mine is trying to find one. Thanks

Patriot Arms in Ipswich stocks several models. Pullman Arms in Worcester has a full size government type.

Mine sucks so bad, I'm going to be buying another. I have the Tactical II Government model and I love it. The shop I frequent has one in stock, and I'm trying to talk myself out of buying it...

Back
Top Bottom