Robbery question..

OP you did the right thing given the situation.

Now if you want to go all theoretical, remember IANAL and this is just my opinion.

So the theoretical situation is that you are out of your car, your wife and kids are in the car, and 4 suspicions males approach from across the street. They clearly state that they just want your money and don't want to hurt you (seems a little unlikely they will say they don't want to hurt you, but it's your scenario).

What do you need to consider?
Do you believe the 4 criminal? After all, why would they lie.
What would they do if they saw your gun while you tried to comply? I have trouble believing they would politely say "thanks for the money you can keep the gun" and walk away. I think they take your gun.
Now they are armed. And you know what they look like. You have contact information that may lead back to them. You saw them at a car that may also be traceable to them. It's no longer a $400 theft, it's a firearm theft (more interest from the police). They now have a weapon and are a clear threat to you, your wife, and your kids....but you don't have a means to defend yourself or your family. Maybe they'll let you call the police who will get there is 10-15 minutes.

Now understand this is just a theoretical game. I would have done what you did and get the F out of there ASAP. I'd never put a physical conflict, armed or unarmed, before safely retreating with my family.

You did the right thing. I tend to make it a point to bring someone with me when I'm buying or selling on Craigslist. Armed is great. Be prepared to defend yourself and your family if like in your situation you can retreat. Do so.

Give them $400 and go home with your wife and kid. Not worth the hassle if all they want is money. Justified homicide is going to cost you more than $400 in the long run.

"Enjoy the ride."

I'm not interested in a 4 on 1 showdown over some cash and an insured vehicle.

You are putting a whole lot of faith in criminals. That sort of faith in people willing to rob you ends up getting people killed. The whole "just comply" philosophy is terrible and illogical when you have the ability to defend yourself. Why would you put your faith in a criminal and not yourself? What trait does a robber possess that makes you think "you know what, if I just give him all my stuff he's probably going to smile and thank me and then go on his way" and not "this guy/these people might want to hurt me"?

Yup. And they can get out. If we're talking about a planned robbery I'd bet getting them into a car peacefully will likely work.

I sure hope you aren't a betting man. That's a losing bet. Betting robbers will be peaceful! Wowzers...

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/men-comply-with-armed-robber-he-shoots-them-anyway/

http://lastresistance.com/defenseless-man-complies-armed-robbers-demands-gets-shot-killed-anyway/

http://fox2now.com/2015/09/23/man-gives-up-cash-in-robbery-is-shot-anyway/

It's MA. Flee, flee, flee until your dead or can't anymore![sad2]

Sorry, but that is the way I seem to think they want it here![frown]

I prey I'm in Florida if I ever have to use force to defend myself. Because you would have wished they killed you in this sh_t hole state![angry]

They are very good at prosecuting the victims in MA.

Unless you are law enforcement or related to a judge...

I think if you prey on them then self defense goes out the window.

if you have to shoot anybody in a justifiable self-defense situation they better be white in this state, or you're a racist and you're going to jail.

I worked in some of the worst parts in Brockton for years remodeling houses. Never had problems other than kicking the homeless out in the morning and sweeping up the crack pipes. One day I played some basketball with some of the neighbors, we had to stop so they could hide their guns in the bushes so the didn't fall out, it was pretty funny.

I have done many a deal on CL and the closest i
came to poop britches was a time i was parting out a car. I met the buyer at an auto parts store. Car pulls up and like five huge dudes get out. Instantly my sack
tightens and im like oh man this is not gonna end well... I shakily hand the part off and they all are fondling it like gorillas with a new toy. Finally one goes yeah thats the right part and another hands me a hundred dollar bill and off they went. Left me literally shocked for a moment because I was expecting a black eye and not cold cash...

Great article! Some of the slang was impressive......"put three rounds between collar bone and ribs and they are handled"

I do enjoy reading the police briefs in the Sentinel and Enterprise- it is amazing the filth that occupies parts of Leominster and Fitchburg

Off the grid cabin dude! Building up the solar system....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mauser_c96_broomhandle_9.jpg

POLICE BLOTTER:

Elderly Seaman robbed Tuesday evening on Harr St.

Reports he was looking to buy a Broomstick.

Dementia unit alerted.

If you articulate it as using lethal force to prevent theft you will have done the prosecutions work for them.

The old... old. Ltcs used to say on them "protection of life and property" they took that off somewhere around early 90's my father still has his old one in his drawer. Issued in the 70's.

Give them $400 and go home with your wife and kid. Not worth the hassle if all they want is money. Justified homicide is going to cost you more than $400 in the long run.

You're naive if you think that's reliable. Maybe if you're a,bank teller... otherwise not so much.

You know what works 100% of the time.. not buying from sketchmo people on CL. Even a modicum of due diligence would have avoided this.

You are putting a whole lot of faith in criminals. That sort of faith in people willing to rob you ends up getting people killed. The whole "just comply" philosophy is terrible and illogical when you have the ability to defend yourself. Why would you put your faith in a criminal and not yourself? What trait does a robber possess that makes you think "you know what, if I just give him all my stuff he's probably going to smile and thank me and then go on his way" and not "this guy/these people might want to hurt me"?

I sure hope you aren't a betting man. That's a losing bet. Betting robbers will be peaceful! Wowzers...

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/men-comply-with-armed-robber-he-shoots-them-anyway/

http://lastresistance.com/defenseless-man-complies-armed-robbers-demands-gets-shot-killed-anyway/

http://fox2now.com/2015/09/23/man-gives-up-cash-in-robbery-is-shot-anyway/

I'm just saying in this fictional scenario, by the time you can argue that you knew this deal was going south and these four guys were looking for trouble is probably too late for a person to pull a gun and try to diffuse it. Of course it doesn't work 100% to comply, but drawing on people -unless you're 100% sure you can draw and put down four dudes- is escalating the hell out of what is likely a simple robbery. I'm not going to bother linking to non-violent robberies because there are so many.

Got a 300 lb fireproof file cabinet off CL recently. My only agony was having to deal with the 75 year old couple that wanted to help me get it into my truck. She chewed my ear off for 20 minutes straight while he made some stupid spider web of block and tackle rope to try to help. After that 20 minutes I had so much pent up aggression I was able to fling the thing into my truck bed pretty much all by myself.

Got a 300 lb fireproof file cabinet off CL recently. My only agony was having to deal with the 75 year old couple that wanted to help me get it into my truck. She chewed my ear off for 20 minutes straight...

This is the biggest hazard I have found in my Craigslist dealings...

Back
Top Bottom