• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Road Rage & Firearm Self Defense Question

16110890_565371083660583_6552845965877837824_n.jpg

Trump just keeps getting better!

2 things:
Passing lane campers totally suck!
And an unracked pistol is a brick. Why carry a brick?

I was on Rt. 9 in Natick a few months back driving in the RH lane when this anal polyp felt that he deserved to get to his destination faster than everyone else and cut me off, missing me by a coat of paint. As his little SUV passed in front of me, I was amazed to see that he was driving like this with a young child strapped in a car seat. He then jerked over to the LH lane and I rolled up next to him (so much for his advantage in getting ahead) and looked at him and shook my head.

I end up ahead of him due to traffic flow. Flash forward a few miles down the road and he does it again, this time obviously on purpose. I beep at him and he starts slamming on his brakes, clearly trying to make me rear-end him (again, with a kid in his backseat). I wave to him with one finger. He then motions to pull over.

I had a million thoughts on what to do, but what is always top of mind is that a POS like this is not worth losing everything that I have worked hard to earn. Possible losses? Freedom, money, LTC, etc.

He kept driving and I let him go. It still burns me, as I would have loved to thrash him, but it would have cost me far more than what I would have gained. I hope that he pulls this on someone with nothing to lose and gets what he richly deserves.

If you do pull over because you are itching to expend some ammo, you should at least have a reason like I thought he was signaling me that I had a flat or something else wrong, or say you were afraid he was going to run you off the road so you stopped for safety, and in all instances indicate you had no idea that he had violent intentions until you saw his weapon. Of course never talk to the cops without a criminal lawyer next to you.

its not just the autobahn, most highways I have driven in in Europe have MUCH better left lane awareness than we do in the states. I was driving on the autostrada in Italy a couple years ago and I remember seeing a Ferrari rip up the road, flash his beams about 100ft from the car ahead, and the car ahead immediately moving over. Last time I did that here the left lane camper actually brake checked me...fool
driving in Poland fifteen years ago introduced me to the third lane style of driving. Things get interesting when its snowing but yet it works because it's extremely difficult and expensive for morons to get and keep a driver's license.

I read on NES here something a while back that has STUCK with me when it comes to driving and dealing with morons on the road...something like...

"What do you think the media is going to report: Poor guy minding his own business defends himself and his family from a dangerous encounter on 128, or, Guy guns down driver on 128"??

sounds like other than possibly camping in the left lane and pulling over he did the right thing...not too sure what the big deal is here...if i'm driving through the city when all lanes are full but moving at the limit and some ******* comes flying up on my ass flipping me off, flashing lights and honking the horn...well better get comfortable back there cause i'm not moving and neither is anyone else in front of me...all the other lanes are in the same condition...what makes him more special than anyone else...but if there is plenty of space i always move over when i see a car closing fast when i'm in the passing lane...and when in a road rage incident keep your distance, keep them in front of you, slow down, take an exit if you need to and get right back on, if he is passing you just pick up your phone and point it at his car like you're recording it (even if you aren't)...pistol is a last resort weapon and shouldn't have been needed here...plus you are safe inside a driving weapon

Last edited:
if i'm driving through the city when all lanes are full but moving at the limit and some ******* comes flying up on my ass flipping me off, flashing lights and honking the horn...well better get comfortable back there cause i'm not moving and neither is anyone else in front of me...all the other lanes are in the same condition...what makes him more special than anyone else...but if there is plenty of space i always move over when i see a car closing fast when i'm in the passing lane.

The fact the guy passed OPs friend on the right means there was space. OPs friend was impeding the flow of traffic. He was wrong.

I wouldn't have stopped....the cops and court would have seen that as a mutual agreement to have a confrontation. I'd have let the ****er side swipe me if he wanted to and then I'd sue him out of house and home.

Road rage never ends well...the cops and courts just assume both parties are stupid knuckleheads. Dash cams are a good idea!

I had an incident the other day going to work entering a two "lane" rotary in revere. I was in the left lane waiting to pull into the rotary and some guy was in the right lane right next to me also waiting. When clear we both proceeded to enter the rotary. The expectation at this rotary is that you stay in the lane you were in (all roads entering the rotary have 2 lanes, so if you're in the left lane you take the inside track in the rotary). Anyway this lunatic starts freaking out laying on the horn, cuts me off and then slams his breaks on. I almost nailed him. he then starts going again, SUPER SLOW, and when I tried to go around him he moved over in front of me and slammed his breaks on again. I exited the rotary at my normal exit and he actually raced around the rotary again to follow me, pulls up next to me at the light and is screaming something at me. I honestly have no idea what he was ever so mad about. And I truly amazed myself at keeping calm and not engaging him because I really wanted to get out of the car and ****ing destroy him. 100% of the whole incident was his fault, he was the sole aggressor, but I know if he had pulled over and then I did too a fight likely would have occurred and the court would **** me just as hard as they'd **** him.

There's NEVER a winner in a road rage incident. Best to just keep driving. If they hit you, get the plate and let the cops handle it.

- - - Updated - - -

hahah ^this. People who camp in the left lane should be euthanized!

I don't know what world you are living in but in the real world, we all know the left lane is for passing but alot folks travel on the left lane.. Just like we all know the speed limit is 65 (State dependant) but in the real world you are just keeping up with traffic doing 70..

just sayin..

Last edited:
In this situation, DO NOT STOP!!!! Nothing good can come if it.

I've represented people involved in road rage incidents. Charges dismissed, but he still lost his LTC. Other guy says he pointed the gun at him.

Other guy was held as dangerous because he had a gun.

Worst case scenario is guy is a gang banger with a gun who comes out blasting.
Beat case scenario is the next guy he tangles with is a gang banger with a gun who comes out blasting.

Either way, you want to read about it in the newspaper. You don't want to be around when it happens.

The fact the guy passed OPs friend on the right means there was space. OPs friend was impeding the flow of traffic. He was wrong.

since we are all hearing this second hand and don't know the whole story from the person involved...i'll throw in another speculation...maybe he could have just passed a car and just figured he's going to pass those 2 cars ahead in a few seconds so i may as well just stay in this lane and didn't see the ******* till he was on his ass...i do the same thing until someone is behind me, no point in changing lanes 100 times if you're going to be passing people the whole way...saves a little extra tread wear...but i regularly pass left lane campers on their right every day...no different than driving 1 mph over the speed limit...breaking the law is breaking the law

I've had this happen to me twice while riding a motorcycle on RT.2. First time the guy even followed me to the Acton PD and the cop told me it wasn't his problem, go to State Police barracks in Concord. Drove there and the Statie told me it was my word against his and handed me a form to send to the Registry to file a complaint. Idiot cut me off and tried throwing a cup of coffee on my face. I would have beat him except he had a little girl in the back seat. Sent the form in and never heard from the Registry. Last summer while riding out to GF's 2 dirbags in a shitbox Explorer started ****ing with me on RT.2, I accelerated but the followed me so I got off at 202 and pulled into the Shell station which they were dumb enough to follow me. Dumbass and his dirtbag old lady weren't so tough when I walked up to the window and asked him to step outside with people around.

Is there a parody thread about a guy driving to work and being harrassed and road raged by an armed left lane camper? [rofl]

Dash cams, racking slides, the problem is not much of you have ever had a mouth full of knuckles and don't know how to act.

Or you do in this regulatory environment

I don't know, I mean how much more cool does a story get when you add the " and racked the gun to chamber a round".

So much less cool when the dufus doesn't carry Condition 1

Is there a parody thread about a guy driving to work and being harrassed and road raged by an armed left lane camper? [rofl]

Inevitable

I don't know what world you are living in but in the real world, we all know the left lane is for passing but alot folks travel on the left lane.. Just like we all know the speed limit is 65 (State dependant) but in the real world you are just keeping up with traffic doing 70..

just sayin..

I have no problem at all with people travelling in the left lane if they're willing to go fast. "camping" in the left lane implies, to me at least, some douchebag barely doing the speed limit (or worse yet not even doing the speed limit) and driving 5 miles without once looking in the rearview.

If you're not willing to do 75 or 80, get the **** out of the left lane unless it's a quick pass.

I flash people basically daily. You're in the left lane and there is room to move over; I am going faster than you; thus, you should move the F over. I follow my own advice too - if someone catches up to me, I move over regardless of how fast I'm driving.

Who are you to decide what "gast enough"? Get the F out of the passing lane, whether or not someone is behind you.

This.

Agree--completely.

I have no problem at all with people travelling in the left lane if they're willing to go fast. "camping" in the left lane implies, to me at least, some douchebag barely doing the speed limit (or worse yet not even doing the speed limit) and driving 5 miles without once looking in the rearview.

If you're not willing to do 75 or 80, get the **** out of the left lane unless it's a quick pass.

The left lane is NOT a travel lane,it is a PASSING lane.Does not matter how fast you are going,make your pass then get back over.

Obviously with the traffic here the left lane does become a travel lane,but all the other times stay out of it.If you are doing 120mph and there is nobody in the travel lane,that is were you need to be.What I mostly run into is idiots at night that do 65 in the passing lane when there are no other cars around.Just because there aren't any cars,does not mean you can travel in the passing lane.It is much harder to predict what some idiot is going to do who is traveling in the passing lane,being that he obviously does no know the rules of the road so he most likely can't drive predictably either.

Most people in this state would be killed,or cause someone to be killed on the Autobahn.****ers don't even know the basic rules.

Last edited:
I used to get all worked up over road-ragers. If I'm in the middle lane, passing slower cars spaced out the right lane, and the left is clear - someone comes flying up and decides pass on the right in between the cars on the right. Doesn't make sense. You're supposed to pass on the left. The left-lane campers drive me nuts too.

What changed my tune was one time I'm stuck behind some people in the left lane, we're all actively passing cars in the middle and right lane, but some crazy chick comes flying up on my ass and starts riding my bumper. I tapped me brake lights a few times without actually slowing down - kind of saying "back off". She got so pissed that when we finally cleared the cars in the middle lane and I moved over, she cut me off and brake-checked me. I was so pissed I wanted to run her off the road but caught myself. I decided it wasn't worth it - people are ****ing idiots and I'm not going to die on the highway because someone else is stupid.

But I'm smart enough to know that trying to teach them a lesson in manners will probably not end well for anybody. So I use the passive aggressive approach. Continue at my current speed, assuming I'm already gaining on the guy I'm passing, and once I'm clear I signal and SLOWLY move to the right. Bonus point to me if I can do this just as I see him start to switch over and try to pass me on the right.

I also used to use my windshield washer spray - the overspray would hit the guy behind and force him to use his wipers.

Love how everyone is jumping all over the "friend" for their perceived left lane camping. Only the friend knows the actual traffic conditions on the road, his rate of speed, and if he was passing people. If there are multiple cars in the cruising/middle lane and an opening between them that would cause me to switch lanes and then back out again to pass the second set of cars, I would say in the left lane.

This. The middle lane could have had a good amount of traffic that they were passing, with some gaps that may or may not have been a good place to move into or pass.

If you've ever had the pleasure of driving on a German Autobahn, you would know how the left lane works. It's really cool watching a column of 5-6 cars, all in the right lane, pass a truck on the left and then immediately go back into the right lane in the same sequence.

Also this. The Germans do it right. Much more efficient. Much safer.

In this situation, DO NOT STOP!!!! Nothing good can come if it.

What if the guy had clipped your car? Now you're been in an accident. If you leave, now you've left the scene of an accident?
I'd probably call the cops and tell them this road-rager just hit you and it's not safe to stop?

Last edited:
The left lane is NOT a travel lane,it is a PASSING lane.Does not matter how fast you are going,make your pass then get back over.

Obviously with the traffic here the left lane does become a travel lane,but all the other times stay out of it.If you are doing 120mph and there is nobody in the travel lane,that is were you need to be.What I mostly run into is idiots at night that do 65 in the passing lane when there are no other cars around.Just because there aren't any cars,does not mean you can travel in the passing lane.It is much harder to predict what some idiot is going to do who is traveling in the passing lane,being that he obviously does no know the rules of the road so he most likely can't drive predictably either.

Most people in this state would be killed,or cause someone to be killed on the Autobahn.****ers don't even know the basic rules.

What if you have to make 100 passes in a row? I know it's not a travel lane but it comes one by default with all the troglodytes on the road driving like 85 year old grandmas. I might be in the left lane for 20 seconds to pass a car or I might ride it for 20 miles. Really depends on traffic, how the other drivers are driving and how fast I feel like going. 75 is my sweet spot on the highway. I'm not jumping back and forth between a travel lane and the left lane every 30 seconds if it's easier to just maintain that speed in the left lane.

You can't really compare US drivers to German drivers. They have much more stringent licensing standards, their cars are better, and their roads are built a million times better. In the US we hand out licenses to every 16 year old moron who have no business operating a toaster nevermind a motor vehicle. People in the US wouldn't need to travel in the left lane if we had a road system and licensing system like Germany. The reality though, for those of us who can drive, is that 65mph is a retarded, arbitrary, and completely archaic speed limit and if we don't want to be stuck going 65 with all the troglodytes, we often find we have to spend more time in the left lane than that lane is intended for.

What if you have to make 100 passes in a row? I know it's not a travel lane but it comes one by default with all the troglodytes on the road driving like 85 year old grandmas. I might be in the left lane for 20 seconds to pass a car or I might ride it for 20 miles. Really depends on traffic, how the other drivers are driving and how fast I feel like going. 75 is my sweet spot on the highway. I'm not jumping back and forth between a travel lane and the left lane every 30 seconds if it's easier to just maintain that speed in the left lane.

^^^this is exactly what i was saying...totally agree...not a travel lane but i have no problem with people using it as a travel lane so long as they know to get out of the way when there is someone behind them...i can't tell you how many cars i pass on the right every day because of left lane campers...it doesn't even bother me anymore...i drive 85 miles a day for work...i'm bound to see someone driving in a manner that displeases me...easier to lighten up and move on

That is the bottom line, compared to many European countries, American drivers are just poorly trained. The performance standard necessary to pass a driving test in Massachusetts compared to the UK, where I got my first driving license, is a joke.

So instead of knowing how to use a two or three lane highway because they were taught, people just make sh!t up.

I doubt that in Germany you will hear anyone talk about a "travel lane" or "passing lane." If you're using proper lane discipline you will always be as far right on the road as the conditions allow, moving to the left only to pass.

That really is what you should do with some common sense applied. If you're only going to be in the center lane for 15 seconds, stay in the left lane.

However, you're not really left lane camping in the sense we're discussing here until you're blocking someone behind you traveling faster than you or forcing them to pass you on the right.

Oh ok I gotcha.. I misunderstood what you were saying.. and I agree 100% with what you say...

Back
Top Bottom