• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rmr sight

greencobra

NES Member
guys, i have a question or two on this type of sighting, please. let me set this up...i was gifted a budget rmr a few weeks ago. i tried it on an ar rifle and liked it, but...i have all my rifles set up to use vortex red dots, i bought several when a member here ran a couple of group buys several years ago. i see no reason to change. i've been asking about this rmr sight set up on a pistol for a while. to mount this, i'd need to send a slide out to get cut for the plate. i don't know what the cost is but it seems to avg. at $99 plus another 20 bucks for cerakoting the cut metal. price is not the concern, but how does the plate attach to the slide? and how does the rmr sight attach to the plate? i'm embarrassed to be asking but i've never handled one of these sights/pistol set-ups in the flesh, so to speak.

this rmr sight is a UUQ unit. an HD1079 to be exact. not expensive at all. nosing around, we're looking at 65 bucks. i want to cut an anderson glock 17 style slide to accept it. i think the sight should work fine for me for what i'm using it for. the slide sits atop a lone wolf frame, another group buy. so i think this whole gun, that's a 9mm but i have a 357 sig barrel also, cost me around $295 when the smoke cleared. the pistol runs flawlessly. so what can you tell me about mounting these? am i doing a good thing to satisfy my curiosity? have any of you heard of UUQ in your travels? probably chinese i would suspect. i dunno, maybe i should leave a perfect functioning pistol alone and forget about this. what could happen right? i don't know what i want you guys to tell me...talk me out of it...tell me it's a good idea, i dunno. you all know i procrastinate like an olympian.

this is a not so good review of what i got but it gives you an idea of what i'm working with. so tossing it out there...i really don't want to drop 300, 400 dollars on a first class rmr sight. i'll sit back with a drink an see what you all have to say. i hope i've conveyed my thoughts good enough.

View: https://youtu.be/ZhYVmli-FgA

and this is the pistol...
20211020_151100_resized (2).jpg

is a UUQ unit. an HD1079 to be exact
a very, very typical issue with all those extra cheap red dots is the way how emitter sits in it.
they may work for airsoft and make work for 22lr with minimal recoil. on anything else that actually kicks enough it typically may shift around or brake off completely.
not every one will fail, of course, but, it is very probable.

i looked only for 2 sec - i did not see this hd1079 to be rmr milled at all. but it may be, who knows.

of what to do - like said above, get the slide milled for rmr pattern, so the red dot can sit right on it with no mount plates/adapters in between.
you can then use this red dot, if it will not break - good.
if it will break, you can get a holosun hs407 for $220 and use it there.

if you decide to mill - be aware of how much ready slides can cost:

I’d suggest shooting a few pistols with rds’s before making the investment. I’ve spent the money on three separate pistols trying to convince myself…but I still keep coming back to a g19 with irons.

I’d suggest shooting a few pistols with rds’s before making the investment. I’ve spent the money on three separate pistols trying to convince myself…but I still keep coming back to a g19 with irons.
It took me a year to really get a red dot. Just shooting a few rounds through one wouldn’t have done it for me.

There are cheap China sights and there are slightly more expensive but pretty proven Chinese sights. If you can, spring for a Holosun 407K for just a bit more. Or a 407A3. Both should run you around 160-180 and fit the two prevailing standards - RMS-C and RMR.

Dont cut the slide unless the footprint is the same as the trijicon rmr.

The slide of a pistol is not a very hospitable environment for electronics, cheapness will be exposed very very quickly and unless you're willing to invest in something like a trijicon or aimpoint you will be consistently disappointed.

Dont cut the slide unless the footprint is the same as the trijicon rmr.

The slide of a pistol is not a very hospitable environment for electronics, cheapness will be exposed very very quickly and unless you're willing to invest in something like a trijicon or aimpoint you will be consistently disappointed.
I’ve had good luck with Holosuns as well

i have now 2 identical shadow 2 babies - both have slides ready for RMR, but i keep one on stock irons, other one is on SRO 2moa dot.

shooting at steel 8" (or 6"? dunno, it is a standard rack at harvard) plates i notice that hit them way faster and more accurate from 10-15 yds with irons, get on target way faster and shoot overall without thinking, both eyes open, focus on target, it just works.
moving to 20-25yds and further, percentage of good hits with irons drops considerably. both guns are very carefully zeroed at 25yds, they do like a quarter sized groups from a rest.

so, at 20-25 distance red dot gun is really way more efficient, i may miss one ouf of 5 in rapid series. with irons - usually get 2 out of 5 or 3. probably a matter of practice also, but, it is my experience with it. my eyes are also not getting better, so it is an another factor.

i did not see this hd1079 to be rmr milled at all. but it may be, who knows.
yeah, it is. i don't know if all the name sights come this way (never seen or handled a rmr sight until this one) but it has a pic rail mount screwd onto the base. you can use it on a rifle. it came with 2 different height risers also, co-witness and i believe 1/4 co?? i'll need to look. it came with a pistol mount rmr plate also. obviously, you need to take the rail mount off to get access to the screw holes.

There are cheap China sights and there are slightly more expensive but pretty proven Chinese sights. If you can, spring for a Holosun 407K for just a bit more. Or a 407A3. Both should run you around 160-180 and fit the two prevailing standards - RMS-C and RMR.

i've been eyeing the holosun line for a while. especially the solo versions...until this dropped in my lap. thought it would been frankly, a cheap way out to get my feet wet with these. i'll need to look but i wonder if the holosun uses the rmr plate.

you know, i'm seeing these mounting plates, now that i'm looking closer, that mount via the rear sight dovetail. i'm thinking aloud if that wouldn't be a good temporary solution for me at the moment to be able to try this sight set up for a minimal investment. if i like this system i'd spring for a holosun unit and get the slide cut. i frequently like to quote one my dads most famous life lessons to me..."buy right the first time."

thanks to you all who took the time to help out here. the old dog is learning new tricks. muchas gracias, amigos.

i have now 2 identical shadow 2 babies - both have slides ready for RMR, but i keep one on stock irons, other one is on SRO 2moa dot.

shooting at steel 8" (or 6"? dunno, it is a standard rack at harvard) plates i notice that hit them way faster and more accurate from 10-15 yds with irons, get on target way faster and shoot overall without thinking, both eyes open, focus on target, it just works.
moving to 20-25yds and further, percentage of good hits with irons drops considerably. both guns are very carefully zeroed at 25yds, they do like a quarter sized groups from a rest.

so, at 20-25 distance red dot gun is really way more efficient, i may miss one ouf of 5 in rapid series. with irons - usually get 2 out of 5 or 3. probably a matter of practice also, but, it is my experience with it. my eyes are also not getting better, so it is an another factor.

I've been shooting CarryOptic in IDPA/USPSA/SC for maybe two years(??) now. I'm just as fast with the dot as I am with irons, and an awful lot more accurate.

yeah, it is. i don't know if all the name sights come this way (never seen or handled a rmr sight until this one) but it has a pic rail mount screwd onto the base. you can use it on a rifle. it came with 2 different height risers also, co-witness and i believe 1/4 co?? i'll need to look. it came with a pistol mount rmr plate also. obviously, you need to take the rail mount off to get access to the screw holes.

i've been eyeing the holosun line for a while. especially the solo versions...until this dropped in my lap. thought it would been frankly, a cheap way out to get my feet wet with these. i'll need to look but i wonder if the holosun uses the rmr plate.

you know, i'm seeing these mounting plates, now that i'm looking closer, that mount via the rear sight dovetail. i'm thinking aloud if that wouldn't be a good temporary solution for me at the moment to be able to try this sight set up for a minimal investment. if i like this system i'd spring for a holosun unit and get the slide cut. i frequently like to quote one my dads most famous life lessons to me..."buy right the first time."

thanks to you all who took the time to help out here. the old dog is learning new tricks. muchas gracias, amigos.
The holosun uses the RMR footprint. If the adapter plate that came with your dot is also for the RMR footprint (triple check before ordering) then it sounds like you have your answer - get a slide cut for RMR, screw down the plate, then screw down the dot.

If you send your optic (and plate) with the slide, most shops will install it for you to confirm everything is happy.

you know, i'm seeing these mounting plates, now that i'm looking closer, that mount via the rear sight dovetail. i'm thinking aloud if that wouldn't be a good temporary solution for me at the moment to be able to try this sight set up for a minimal investment.
They suck. They put the sight up too high, which makes it harder to pick up the dot. You are used to picking up the sights closer to the bore axis.

With M1911 on this - they do suck. The only thing they do well is give you a chance to see if you can shoot a dot better than irons once the sight is up. Spoiler alert - you can. Picking up the dot on the draw is the hard part, and the one I tried was annoying enough that I almost didn't move on from there to a machined slide.

If you really want to try one, and I can find the damn thing (there's a chance I may have tossed it) let me know. I'd recommend not trying it, though.

greencobra where are you located? If you just want to put a few rounds through some red dot guns, I’ll host you as a guest at Harvard Sportsmen’s.

With M1911 on this - they do suck. The only thing they do well is give you a chance to see if you can shoot a dot better than irons once the sight is up. Spoiler alert - you can. Picking up the dot on the draw is the hard part, and the one I tried was annoying enough that I almost didn't move on from there to a machined slide.
Yup, spot on. Once you’ve got the dot in the window, shooting accurately with a red dot is like cheating. The hard part is getting the red dot in the window.

If you are going with a cheap RMR then grab a cheap slide for about the same cost as getting one machined

Put this on a ruger Mk3 or a 22 pistol that has a pic rail on top. Get a quality rds for a pistol. If you want a pre milled slide I may have one that Is in new condition if you wanted to be able to swap one around.

I had my Glock 34 Gen 3 milled out years ago for an rmr. Came out great.

I also recently bought a G45 with the RMR cut (or something similar) with the glock plate. I can't tell much of a difference between them. They both work fine. I know people hate plates but I don't know why and I haven't noticed problems

I had my Glock 34 Gen 3 milled out years ago for an rmr. Came out great.

I also recently bought a G45 with the RMR cut (or something similar) with the glock plate. I can't tell much of a difference between them. They both work fine. I know people hate plates but I don't know why and I haven't noticed problems
The issues with the Glock plates are that 1) they are thin, so only provide enough material for a couple threads of the screws from the optic to bite, and 2) they are soft, so you can strip them easily. Hard to get good torque on the screws. The CHPWS plates are far superior -- they have steel inserts that provide a lot more threads for the screws from the optic to engage.

Last edited:
The issues with the Glock plates are that 1) they are thin, so only provide enough material for a couple threads of the screws from the optic to bite, and 2) they are soft, so you can strip them easily. Hard to get good torque on the screws. The CHPWS plates are far superior -- they have steel inserts that provide a lot more threads for the screws from the optic to engage.
I'm using purple locktite maybe that's why I haven't had issues yet. I'm also not at a high round count either

I'm using purple locktite maybe that's why I haven't had issues yet. I'm also not at a high round count either
You see the t-nuts in the lower right?

Those t-nuts go below the CHPWS plate. The screws in the plate hold the plate securely to the slide, and the plate holds those t-nuts down securely. See how much taller the t-nuts are than the Glock MOS plate? They've got way more threads to engage the screws that hold the optic to the plate. And those t-nuts are steel, so they are much stronger than the aluminum Glock MOS plate. As a result, the CHPWS holds the optic much more securely. You put some loctite on the threads, let it dry, insert the screws, torque them to spec, then add witness marks so that you know if the screws back out.

It's simply a much better system the Glock plates.

Getting your draw so the dot is in the window every time is key.
Dry practice makes this possibe.
Dry draw 500 times with the dot in the window every time, then do 500 more.
If you cant find the dot, 99% of the time your muzzle is pointing too high.

Back
Top Bottom