riverside Gun Club

I have been looking around the site for a while. I am happy to see that there is a group of sane people in MA. I had a membership at Boston Gun Range in Worcester until they closed. I am looking for a new place to shoot and live very close to Riverside. I looked at the application and I need a current member to nominate me. Is there anyone who would consider helping me out with a nomination. I am a interested pistol, skeet and trap shooting.

hey squiggs, you got my link I see. . . welcome to NE shooters!

guys,

I've known psquiggs for about 10 years. he's a good guy, and if I still belonged to Riverside I would sponsor him without second thought

Last edited:
Too many rules at Riverside. Be ware!

Now, Cross-X, we're living with the rules just fine.

I think the issue with MWT was a lack of or mis-communication on both sides. The E-Board is working with the Riverside IDPA crew and is supporting us. We just have to tell them what we're up to 30 days in advance so they can let the rest of the membership know that the ranges are reserved.

Regards,

Bob

I have been looking around the site for a while. I am happy to see that there is a group of sane people in MA. I had a membership at Boston Gun Range in Worcester until they closed. I am looking for a new place to shoot and live very close to Riverside. I looked at the application and I need a current member to nominate me. Is there anyone who would consider helping me out with a nomination. I am a interested pistol, skeet and trap shooting.

PM sent.

When you are looking at Riverside, check out the Harvard Sportsmen's Club in Harvard, MA. This is the home of Metrowest Tactical IDPA, and also an IPSC chapter, and more ranges than you can shake a stick at.

C-X

Now, Cross-X, we're living with the rules just fine.

It all depends on what one is looking for. I looked at http://www.riversidegc.org and only saw a couple that I would have a problem with, since I'm used to a 24x7 range that allows all conventional pistol calibers and gives qualified members a card key to the range:

Indoor range:

# Muzzle velocity is restricted to 1000 ft per second MAXIMUM (except .22 LR)

# Range is open for member use while clubhouse is open and no match or other event is in progress

Outdoor range:

# Rapid firing is prohibited

# Fast draw, Shooting from the hip, and all other "trick "shooting is prohibited

# Rapid firing is prohibited

# Fast draw, Shooting from the hip, and all other "trick "shooting is prohibited

Both of which activities I've seen people enjoying responsibly at HSC. I've also encountered plenty of nit-pickers at Riverside who have a very conservative definition of 'rapid firing', and who like to bug you with stupid sh*t like that your paper target isn't exactly in the middle of the wooden frame, or that your barrel is about 1 degree off perpendicular from the backstop while you're clearing the rifle [rolleyes]. As opposed to HSC, where I mostly get comments more along the lines of, "Wow, that gun is cool, can I check it out?"

As a member of Riverside, I have to say that I have not run into any of these issues. Most of the time I go to the outdoor ranges I have a range to myself or one other shooter. I have never been hassled by anyone.

The indoor range happens to be the home of the 2007-2008 state champion gallery match team, of which I am a (low-scoring) member. It's a great bunch of guys with lots of experience.

They have a nice skeet/trap setup, which I've only tried twice. The people running the Sun morning shoots are very welcoming and helpful.

There is a bass pond, 3-d archery, indoor airgun range, and indoor archery, none of which I've used, so I can't comment much on them. They have active kids programs for archery, airgun, and .22.

There's a lot of nice facilities, and from my perspective a low hassle factor. I would recommend Riverside to people looking for a club.

Last edited:
They have a nice skeet/trap setup, which I've only tried twice. Again, the people running the Sun morning shoots are very welcoming and helpful.

Even though I was complaining about the outdoor range, I will say that I have never met a nicer bunch of guys than those at the skeet/trap fields.

When you are looking at Riverside, check out the Harvard Sportsmen's Club in Harvard, MA. This is the home of Metrowest Tactical IDPA, and also an IPSC chapter, and more ranges than you can shake a stick at.

C-X

Cross-X: I thought you would have a little professional courtesy and respect the wishes of Paul to join Riverside. This changes everything! [wink]

Riverside is a nice club. I've belonged for five years. I do not believe the rules are onerous at all except for the rapid fire thing, but I've never had anyone
say anything. Every club has its share of range nazis and Riverside does as well, but if you live in the area it's a good choice

Riverside is a nice club. I've belonged for five years. I do not believe the rules are onerous at all except for the rapid fire thing, but I've never had anyone say anything. Every club has its share of range nazis and Riverside does as well, but if you live in the area it's a good choice

+1 to that. I've actually never encountered a range nazi at Riverside in my 2 years of membership. I'm acquainted with a good number of the regulars at the outdoor rifle range, and they are a very polite and helpful bunch of guys. I also tend to shoot fairly fast strings (not "rapid fire" by any stretch, but fast enough), and nobody has ever complained.

In contrast, I'd encountered a royal SOB up at Harvard who was yelling at people on a very crowded day at the 50-yd range over nitpicky crap... all the while taking up two tables so that he could grill while shooting. The guy acted like he owned the place. For the record, HSC is a top-notch club, and I'd still be a member if I lived farther north, but that experience was a huge turnoff for me.

I'm not crazy about Riverside's 1000fps rule for the indoor range, and it would be nice to have keycard access 24x7, but they have legitimate reasons for both. Still, compare Riverside's indoor range with HSC's, and then decide which you'd rather spend time in.

You probably won't need a sponsor -- just email one of the officers and express your desire to join - they'll likely suggest that you stop by even without a sponsor. If you do need a sponsor, I'll be happy to do so, provided I can make the meeting.

Cheers,
Chris

You can run into the range Nazi anywhere. A few years back, I was at the indoor range at <a club that shall remain nameless>. A buddy and I were the only ones there. We were in front of the line, doing dry drills as I demonstrated drawing and holstering. It was raining lions and St. Bernards, which is why we were inside.

A fellow came in doing a club orientation. He was pissed at us for being in front of the line, even though 1) we were the only people there, 2) we were dry, and 3) every week the IPSC shooters shoot from the holster while in front of the line. So this !@#@! spends the next 15 minutes standing on the range in front of us, talking to the new members, preventing us from practicing or shooting. Just because he had to show he was the man. And while he was talking, he flat-out made up rules.

The thing is, my buddy knew one of the officers at the club quite well. He told the officer what happened. The situation was solved.

So when you run into a range Nazi, get his name. Then talk to the officers. You might solve the problem.

Last edited:
I'd encountered a royal SOB up at Harvard who was yelling at people on a very crowded day at the 50-yd range over nitpicky crap... all the while taking up two tables so that he could grill while shooting. The guy acted like he owned the place.

Wow [shocked] I've never run into anything close to that at HSC! Point taken, though; a-holes can be anywhere.

I've also encountered plenty of nit-pickers at Riverside who have a very conservative definition of 'rapid firing', and who like to bug you with stupid sh*t like that your paper target isn't exactly in the middle of the wooden frame, or that your barrel is about 1 degree off perpendicular from the backstop while you're clearing the rifle [rolleyes].

Never met a single example of that in my 3 years at Riverside. As for rapid fire, I've shot all sorts of IDPA type of practice with double taps and Mozambiques.

-= chuck

riverside

I've been a member at Riverside for 4 years. I shoot IDPA and i also shoot
on the Bullseye team. The indoor range is one of the nicest i've seen
amongst the clubs we shoot at.

the outdoor ranges have some rules but i have never been hassled for
practicing IDPA EVER. Most times you will have the outdoor range
to yourself unless of course there is an event, which are all posted.

I also know the folks that run skeet and trap, an awfully nice bunch
of guys, (even some members from HSC) shoot there on Sundays.

I also live close enough that i can be at the range in 5 minutes from
work, and 10 minutes from home.

There's a lot going on at riverside you just need to look around.

If you want a tour let me know, i will make the arrangements.

JimB

+1 for Riverside. I'm involved with the Bulls-eye team and archery and sometimes shoot IDPA as well as trap/skeet. All are very welcoming. There is a stocked trout pond (which has some bass in it). They have lots for the kids, JOAD, Jr. Rifle, fishing, etc. and do a lot with the scouts.

-kg

Just a few comments...

1) 1000 ft/sec limit on the indoor range.

Our backstop can create a lot of splatter. It is not uncommon for that splatter to come back a ways. (why we do NOT allow any short range use) In various testing over the years, we have found that the splatter of rounds not much over the 1000 ft/sec limit reach the firing line more often than is felt 'safe'. It is purely a safety restriction. We do allow jacketed ammo which is not common on indoor ranges.

2) 24 hour access

To allow any access, the fire code requires 2 exits. Installing that second exit into the building where it is needed would be very expensive. Also, limiting the access to the ranges during off hours would create a situation where no restroom facility would exist. If a member with a lot of disposable income would like to discuss the problems, we'd be happy to revisit the problem.

3) Rapid Fire

The club has an agreement with the Town of Hudson which prohibits the use of full-auto on our ranges. There is a neighbor who knows this and in the past has called the police any time he hears what he feels is full-auto. Now, I've not heard this occurring recently so that neighbor might have moved. I don't know.

Firing in a manner that would be consistent with a recognized course of fire for competition (ie. the rapid fire string of a High Power match) is perfectly legitimate.

Blowing through a 40 round banana mag just because you can is prohibited.

The problem is defining where the line in between is. We leave it to our members to regulate this. If you like the police showing up on a complaint, shutting down the range while he runs everyone's ID, feel free to push the matter. I can tell you that such people are highly frowned upon and will find their keycard rejected until the Board can deal with the matter.

Trust me, I HATE creating rules. I'm in charge of maintaining the By-Laws and I am constantly discouraging changing them without a good reason. The same applies to the rules governing our ranges. Riverside has operated as an "Open unless posted closed" policy since early 1940's. The day we have to change that to "Closed until posted open" will be a very sad one. Like people have said above, you can easily have the range to yourself during off-peak times. Members would find such times closed if we had to change the policy simply because we don't have the active members to staff an RO at all times.

Most of the current rules are in place for one of three reasons:

1) SAFETY
2) Legal
3) Good Neighbor Policy

Now, that said, Riverside is a Member run club. If something doesn't meet your ideal, feel free to question it or propose an alternative. Don't like the way the club is run, get involved and run for office. We didn't even have an election last year because we had no uncontested seats. One of the reasons I first ran for the Executive Board was to get rules and procedures changed so that I could run events that became our IDPA program.

Back
Top Bottom