• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rimfire Tannerite

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
For Christmas, his dad gave my grandson, Little Jack some of this. This may be old news, but I haven't seen it before. Not exploding targets but the real stuff that you mix and put into little round containers. Hit them with .22 LR and they are very loud. Jack.

I know it takes a lot of energy to set off Tannerite. Is Rimfire Tannerite a special formulation that will detonate with the slower rimfire bullets?

- - - Updated - - -

I know it takes a lot of energy to set off Tannerite. Is Rimfire Tannerite a special formulation that will detonate with the slower rimfire bullets?

edit: I have 2 boys and hate living in the PRM where it's illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it must be a special formulation. The two part mix is put into the supplied plastic snap-together cups about 2" in dia. Only about 3 teaspoons. Not 50-50 mix and they give you a small plastic spoon to get it right. Super loud. Jack.

Hey, nice post. I found this video on this low velocity tannerite. Looks like fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a handful of the little 22lr "Shockwave" branded exploding targets that they sell at Dick's sporting goods, and they were MISERABLE. Comically so. I mixed one up, stood back expecting maybe a loud firecracker's worth of sound/explosion, and it just emitted a little thud sound and a sad little cloud of smoke. It was just so sad and pathetic. I would have been more disappointed if it hadn't been so funny.

Thanks for the heads up on these though Jack, I think I'm ready to step things up a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you have to buy the Rimfire targets and it is NOT illegal in Mass. You can buy it at the Bass Pro Shops.

Yes you have to buy the Rimfire targets and it is NOT illegal in Mass. You can buy it at the Bass Pro Shops.

It's not illegal to buy and own. It is however illegal to mix and use in Massachusetts.

I never thought it was until the ex president at Sippican Rod and Gun club found it in the MGLs.

It's not illegal to buy and own. It is however illegal to mix and use in Massachusetts.

I never thought it was until the ex president at Sippican Rod and Gun club found it in the MGLs.

Some msp I'm related to think both kinds are illegal to even own in mixed in this state.
Granted they also had no idea after the new laws where passed they don't have to follow the awb any more for personally owned stuff. After showing my two uncles on Xmas the law they went and bought p mags online . One called me today saying his order was rejected lol.

Please quote the mgl. that states that its illegal... As far as i know, as long as you dont mix it until you are at the range where you are going to shoot it, it's legal in all 50+ states....

Maybe some towns have local ordinances prohibiting it, or maybe some ranges have their own bylaws prohibiting it, but i have not heard it is illegal at the state or federal level......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom