• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Riley's has non corrosive 7.62x54r surplus?

I just picked up another can of 7.62x54r from rileys, and I noticed their sign claimed it was bulgarian light ball non corrosive. I haven't seen non corrosive ammo in a spam can before and was wondering if anyone here has some experience with it. According to the lid it was made in 1971. Should I trust it as non corrosive or just treat it as corrosive just in case?

20130515_192212.jpg

sent it...from the galaxy s3

I just picked up another can of 7.62x54r from rileys, and I noticed their sign claimed it was bulgarian light ball non corrosive. I haven't seen non corrosive ammo in a spam can before and was wondering if anyone here has some experience with it. According to the lid it was made in 1971. Should I trust it as non corrosive or just treat it as corrosive just in case?

20130515_192212.jpg

sent it...from the galaxy s3

It's corrosive, all right.Got the same cans from Cabelas.

unless its a wolf spam can its corrosive. that right there is corrosive without a doubt.

A whole lot of places sell what looks like the exact same stuff and call it corrosive. Now, Riley's usually has their stuff together and maybe it really is noncorrosive, but I'd call it a crappy bet. (...but then I shot it in bolt guns where the cleaning drill is no big deal anyway.)

Anyone know if this is steel or lead core? How can you tell from looking at the can? Trying to figure this out is making my head spin.

Thanks. I've seen all sorts of pics on 7.62x54.net on how to identify the rounds themselves, but now how to figure it out from the can.

Little more research seems to indicate I'm probably not going g to find surplus lead core stuff anyway :(

Last edited:
The red band at the case mouth (as well as the red primer) indicates the ammo is corrosive. I used to shoot this stuff but reload for my M39 now. Prvi makes some nice ammunition that is boxer primed, so I buy that, shoot it, and use those cases to reload after. Works for me

Test the ammo to see if it is corrosive. The only thing that would have corrosive salts in it would be the primer. Pull a bullet and powder from one cartridge and fire the primer from an empty case onto polished (with steel wool or the like) piece of sheet steel. Leave outside over night. If there is pronounced rust on the steel where the primer was fired more than the surrounding metal then the primers are corrosive.

Need to get off my fat ass and make the long trip up there. They seem to have every kind of ammo I need but they're sooooo damn far.

Well, made the trip up there. Bought a can and yes its advertised as non corrosive. I know better though it IS corrosive. Only had 2 left. (1 after I left) Even hit up hooksett fireworks (some killer deals there on everything). Definitely going up next week

Who doesn't clean their weapons after each shoot? The corrosive issue should be a non starter if you simply keep your rifle clean![rofl]!
I'm not going to lie - if I'm shooting non-corrosive ammo, I don't clean after every shoot. Depends on the gun - my High Standard is super fussy, so it gets babied after every trip to the range. But my 10/22? That thing gets cleaned once every 500 rounds or less.

Back
Top Bottom