rifle sling preservation

SKS Ray

NES Member
Like i'm sure some of you have, i've got a good asst. of slings that came with rifles in accessory kits. I've heard diferent reports on what to use as far as cleaning them and preserving them. Everything from saddle soap to not using saddle soap, and the same for mink oil. I usually clean them with some auto detailing leather conditioner but would like to know if anyone has something better to use.

I'm using Super Neatsfoot oil. I tried mink oil but the leather got harder for some reason i'm not too sure. I did 6 applications of neatsfoot oil and the very stiff swiss slings became plyable and usable again. I used mink oil on a pair of new leather hunting boots once and it softened up the leather too much.

Everynite while watching TV I laid out the slings on newspaper and soaked each side and rolled them up. I got out the kinks and they look great now.

You can go to; www.buygpdirect.com then click on leather care.

I had a girlfriend many years ago that could of used some of the care products on that site. Heck i could of done all my christmas shopping for her there if we only had the net 33+ years ago.

Last edited:
I've actually found a product that some people swear by and its eactly what I've been looking for. Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing. Its made for old rifle slings.[smile] I haven't received it yet but should soon.

I have a pair of size 9 1/2 Corcoran jump boots that I had in the service. I have not had them on my feet in over 12 years. About a month ago I tried to get them on. I guess that they shrunk at least two sizes. I couldn’t get the heal of my foot into the boot.

I applied a liberal amount of neatsfoot oil all over the boots. I used about a 1/2 full dixi cup that you use for mouth wash on each boot. I rubbed it in but only spent about 15 minutes on each boot. I let them sit for an hour and then wiped it all off with an old t-shirt.

Two days later I could get my feet into them and after ½ hour of wearing them they felt loose.

The stuff is pretty potent so use it sparingly.

B

Back
Top Bottom