Rifle question.

So my girlfriends parents are divorced, her dad left his .22 rifle at home and said "I don't care about it" questions are...

A. Can she/her mom get in trouble for having it in their home.

B. Can i transfer it or have it for myself legally?

A. No..nothing is required to have a handgun or long gun (non Ct defined AW) in your home in CT.
B. Sure, no paperwork is required to transfer a long gun in CT..just take it if they dont want it...as long as you are 18..

1 question though..just to make sure..is the rifle in question in Connecticut?

A cut and paste from something I just posted in a different thread:

There are very very few restrictions on long guns in CT. The only real one is that it can not be loaded while you are in your vehicle, riding an ATV or a snowmobile.

Other than that, you can transport hit how and where you'd like. No need for it to be cased, no need for it to be in the trunk. You could literally be driving down the road with the gun and and a loaded magazine on the passenger seat of your car. As long as the mag isn't in the gun, you are legal.

As far as Bucketduder's question of if the gun is in CT now. Thats a great question.

My answer is based on the assumption that you realize you are on a CT forum and that your girlfriend's mom lives in CT. Every state is different.

Go to the state DPS "special licensing" web site to get all the forms.

Botom line is that if you have a pistol permit or hunting license, the transfer to you from your motherinlaw can be done with nothing more than a bill of sale.

If you don't have either of those, I'm a little fuzzy. I believe you may need to call for an authorization number but I'm not sure.

5 minutes of research will clarifiy it.

There are additional factors to consider:

1) Are you a convicted felon?

2) Have you EVER been convicted for ANY act of Domestic Violence (even a Misdemeanor)?

Both of these would automatically prohibit you or anyone from possessing any firearm, in CT or any other state.

In that case, its a transfer on a bill of sale. Nothing more. Just like she was selling you a washing machine.

Also, remember, that nothing is required to buy or own a long gun in CT. (provided you are not a prohibited person)
So she can keep it if she'd like, its all perfectly legal.

Finally, remember that there is NO gun registration in CT, except for machine guns, so she doesn't have to worry about anything.

Don

Its very simple in CT. If you are not a prohibited person, you can posses a handgun or rifle with no permits, registration or anything else.

I'm playing a little bit of lawyerly word games here. You need a permit to buy a handgun, but if you already have one, no permit is required. (you got it before this became the law in 96 , or you moved here from out of state with the handgun in your possession)

Back
Top Bottom