Rifle for big game hunting

I am just curious as to any opinions on rifle caliber for deer hunting. I am looking to hunt for mainly whitetail deer and possibly moose. I was thinking of a 308. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ask ten guys this question and you'll get that many different answers. Here's my answer. Because of the heavier bullets and ammo availability I'd say stick with the 30.06 or .270. Four Seasons has a sweet deal on the Savage 110 or 112. Its a nice gun for the money.

Think 35 Whelen, it's just a big bore 30-06.

Respectfully,

jkelly

30-06. You will be able to buy ammo anywhere. In the boonies forget buying
most of the other calibers (except for 30-30 and 30-06) in the local general
store. Even .308 isn't that common in the boonies.

TBP

I agree with everyone above, except the "45-70 or .460" and .375 H&H and 35 Whelen; unless you were just kidding.

Oh, and not in MA. No rifle hunting for deer in MA.

I agree with everyone above, except the "45-70 or .460" and .375 H&H and 35 Whelen; unless you were just kidding.

Oh, and not in MA. No rifle hunting for deer in MA.

Kidding about what?
A 255gr cast bullet at mach2 will drop a deer like a load of rocks, costs pennies per shot and kicks just a little harder than a 410 shotgun.

A full house load will push about the same velocity as a 3006, but with twice as much bullet weight and stop any critter on this side of the globe decisively.

What's not to like?[smile]

Meat destruction?

(Which one are you talking about?)...

Sorry, .375 H&H.
At 38-55 to .375Win. power levels and with a hard-cast bullet, meat destruction should be minimal.
The point is that most of the big-bore cartridges can be loaded down to suit the task at hand.

There is a lot of nostalgia in shooting the big bore single shots, doubles and lever actions and they remain as effective as ever for the largest species, if the oportunity occurs.
The Ruger #1 rifle is truly a modern classic and a credit to the use of modern materials and manufacturing techniques to affordably recreate the classic, hand made single shot rifle.
The 45-70 cartridge, in a Browning single shot or newly made Winchester 1886 provides performance and accuracy undreamed of in the 1800s, in walnut and steel.

There's still a place for big bores, walnut, and blued steel.[grin]

Meat destruction?

(Which one are you talking about?)

Of course, the three traditional standards for deer/moose/bear in Maine are probably in this order: 30-06, 300 Rem Mag, 30-30.

.375 bullets are meant for big, tough game. In a deer, it just punches a large caliber hole through. Very little meat waste. Much less than a .270 or 30-06.

Now everything being said, My first hunting rifle is still my favorite hunting rifle. Winchester Model 70 lightweight in 30-06 with a old 4x scope. A very nice northern new england hunting rifle.

Back
Top Bottom