RFID Chips and guns

Reptile

NES Member
RFID Chips and guns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

Radio-frequency identification (RFID) is an automatic identification method, relying on storing and remotely retrieving data using devices called RFID tags or transponders. An RFID tag is an object that can be attached to or incorporated into a product, animal, or person for the purpose of identification using radio waves. Chip-based RFID tags contain silicon chips and antennas. Passive tags require no internal power source, whereas active tags require a power source.
end of wikipedia quote
----

The way they work is that is just like the EZ-Pass toll devices. A scanner sends out a radio signal and when the signal contacts the RFID tag, a number or other information is bounced back as another radio signal and collected.

These tags are in some credit cards now. They are the ones that you wave in front of a scanner and the scanner can read the information without even touching the card. It can even work if it's in your wallet.

These tags will also be used in the new passports.

The problem that few people seem to want to address is that they are vulnerable to "skimming" from as much as 30 feet away. Another words, a criminal with available equipment can collect all the information on a tag when near one. Information like name, credit card number, expiration date, and whatever else on the tag can be collected.[shocked]

So... how can this relate to guns???

Imagine if there was a law that said that all new guns need to have an RFID tag installed to be legal. A criminal or law enforcement could be able to tell wether of not you have a gun on you when you are within a certain range. They could tell if you have one in your car or in your home without entering.

Now imagine this one...

A RFID tag could be part of a license too. When a scanner detects the presents of a gun RFID tag, and cannot find a license RFID tag, the scanner can alert the user that a gun is present without the proper license.

Here is an interesting blog entry from a Computer Security website:

http://www.rfid-cusp.org/blog/blog-23-10-2006.html

I wonder what will happen in the next 20 years regarding this technology...

Reptile

Last edited:
The problem that few people seem to want to address is that they are venerable to "skimming" from as much as 30 feet away.

"Venerable?"

Try VULNERABLE.]

Probably one of the definitions written by that college drop-out posing as a professor....

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem that few people seem to want to address is that they are venerable to "skimming" from as much as 30 feet away.

"Venerable?"

Try VULNERABLE.]

Probably one of the definitions written by that college drop-out posing as a professor....

I just corrected the spelling mistake. Damn spell checker![frown]
I'm no professor that's for sure. I just wanted to write an interesting essay that would spark some discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be impossible to successfully confiscate and destroy all guns without RFID.

Even if they did, Boston's murder rate would remain unchanged. Because the criminal element isn't linked to the guns they own in the first place.

I could see Deval pushing for this and have Massachusetts lead the way in this ridiculous technology.

A RFID tag could be part of a license too. When a scanner detects the presents of a gun RFID tag, and cannot find a license RFID tag, the scanner can alert the user that a gun is present without the proper license.

It'd be trivial to defeat it, once the locations where the chips are
get disclosed. "Your honor, I had no idea that putting my gun in the
microwave was bad. " [laugh]

I dunno... RFID is bad if misued, but I fear things like other normal high end
detection equipment becoming cheap and having a low falsing
rate. Imagine a "gun detector" that works via some means wherein there
is a low falsing rate- and then that technology becoming cheap and then
ending up everywhere.

-Mike

I could see Deval pushing for this and have Massachusetts lead the way in this ridiculous technology.

And if he ever did, I would hope that the industry would basically tell
him to FOAD; the same way the industry did with the state of california and
the microstamping initiative. EG, the industry said in not so many words:
"f*ck you, its too expensive, and we're not paying for it... and we know you're
not going to foot the bill either, so why don't we just drop the
issue?" And the ploy worked, because they damn well knew that even in
CA, that the legislature couldn't get away with a statewide gun
ban. (which would be the only end game if they put a "guns must have
microstamping" law into effect without any guns or ammo capable of handling the
tech. )

-Mike

If it works as well as NJ's first try at EZPass, there's nothing to worry about. It won't work, a half dozen people will be indicted and the all the information received from the tags will be incorrect.

They already make an easily carried case to stop RFID transmissions from the new passports, I believe from an aluminum mesh. The same could easily be incorporated into holsters and mag pouches.

The alternate solution involves an IC destructive device and loading your own ammo. Either way, this will never happen in reality, as it is so easily disabled.

"Some of these devices even come with safeties to prevent misfires"

"Venerable?"

Try VULNERABLE.]

I must admit that I to have been admonished for my improper use of the Anglish Languish.[rofl]

"Bad grammar and terrible spelling are everywhere these days. Some writing has become mean and slanderous. We need to put a stop to these instruments of poor prose. After all, the people are good it is just those evil instruments of the written word that must be stamped out!
What is needed is a waiting period on the sale of all writing instruments until the proper training in the use of language can be proven."

Caliber ............. 0.11x8mm
Length .............. 1475 mm (58.07")
Weight .............. 11.3 kg (24.91 lbs)
Barrel Length ....... 747 mm (29,4")
Material ............ Steel, composite
Ammo capacity ....... 12
Effective range ..... 1100 meters
Operation ........... Gas operated, semi-Auto
Features ............ Highres camera, memory card, advanced ergonomic adjustments
Camera specs ........ 2.1 Megapixels, 1:1,8
Memory card specs ... 32, 64, 128 Mb

The ID SNIPERTM rifle designed by EMPIRE NORTH

What is the ID SNIPERTM rifle?

It is used to implant a GPS-microchip in the body of a human being, using a high powered sniper rifle as the long distance injector. The microchip will enter the body and stay there, causing no internal damage, and only a very small amount of physical pain to the target. It will feel like a mosquito-bite lasting a fraction of a second. At the same time a digital camcorder with a zoom-lense fitted within the scope will take a high-resolution picture of the target. This picture will be stored on a memory card for later image-analysis.

Why use the ID SNIPERTM rifle?

As the urban battlefield grows more complex and intense, new ways of managing and controlling crowds are needed. The attention of the media changes the rules of the game. Sometimes it is difficult to engage the enemy in the streets without causing damage to the all important image of the state. Instead EMPIRE NORTH suggests to mark and identify a suspicious subject on a safe distance, enabeling the national law enforcement agency to keep track on the target through a satellite in the weeks to come

EN03-223b_high.jpg

The ID SNIPERTM rifle was presented by Empire North in Beijing at the China Police 2002 exhibition.

I have been doing a lot of research on RFID Tags lately and I do not believe it would be possible to track down every gun with a RFID. It deals with radio frequency identification and it is a system that tells the identity (in the form of a unique serial number) of an object or person wirelessly, using radio waves. So tracking down every single one would be unlikely.

I have been doing a lot of research on RFID Tags lately and I do not believe it would be possible to track down every gun with a RFID. It deals with radio frequency identification and it is a system that tells the identity (in the form of a unique serial number) of an object or person wirelessly, using radio waves. So tracking down every single one would be unlikely.

Welcome to the forum Coltleader.

Yes, tracking all RFID guns would be impossible. If a RFID gun was far enough away from a scanner, it would me invisible. It could also me made invisible by hiding it in a RFID proof container. Maybe even wrapping it in aluminum foil would suffice.

RFID's are just a string of numbers. You would have to know how to decode what the numbers mean. In the case of the AmEx Blue card, a hacker can skim the numbers off the card. In the case of AmEx Blue, the card members name is also encoded along with the card number.

In US passports, from what I understand, it is just an ID number that is crosschecked with the government database. In German passports, the RFID has personal information- not just an ID.

Probably will happen. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been enacted in ether of the CINN states: California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey.

Today's dystopia always becomes tomorrow's reality.

It'd be trivial to defeat it, once the locations where the chips are
get disclosed. "Your honor, I had no idea that putting my gun in the
microwave was bad. " [laugh]

I dunno... RFID is bad if misued, but I fear things like other normal high end
detection equipment becoming cheap and having a low falsing
rate. Imagine a "gun detector" that works via some means wherein there
is a low falsing rate- and then that technology becoming cheap and then
ending up everywhere.

-Mike

The law would likely be structured to prohibit this: Sort of like removing or altering a physically etched serial number today.

Somebody will invent a mobile RFID scanner.

Now, they are the size of a small book. The antenna just connects to a smart phone. You could have an antenna unit and detector in a bag and with bluetooth, connect to you handheld or smartphone.

Aren't the RFID tags similar to the anti-theft tags that they use in stores? Don't they disable those at the register buy waving the item over a magnetic mat on the counter?

"Magnets, how do they work?!?" [wink]

GPS tags, RFID tags, microstamping ammo...all unworkable solutions in search of an insoluble problem. GMAFB.

Eventually everything will be RF tagged. Nobody will be able to steal, buy, sell, eat, drink, work, heck even own a gun without one of them. All because big brother wants all of us to be happy, and safe, and warm and fuzzy and.................without privacy. EUTOPIA, LOL

Back
Top Bottom