• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revisiting my CCW choices

To date my favorite pistol for carry is my Sig P245. The
night sights are great, it shoots quickly and accurately,
and I have confidence in the round (.45). I've noticed, though,
that I almost always reach for my KelTec 9mm since I bought
the handy little pistol. I carry enough to be past the initial awkwardness,
but I still have a body shape that does not conceal well (medium build,
could stand to a lose 15 pounds but nothing unusual). With
the McDaniel 2 I can hide the P245 acceptably, but the darned
KelTec just disappears with no effort at all. So I'm thinking of selling
what I thought was the perfect pistol for me, and looking for other
compact carry pieces. My biggest concern is hiding the grip. Length
is no issue, and a reasonable width will work OK.

My thoughts thus far are:

Just use the KelTec: Works fine, lacks any refinement

Glock 19: No size saving over the P245, almost identical

Glock 26: Feels like a brick

Glock 36: Only a little smaller than the P245, but maybe enough

Glock 29: mmmmmmmmm, big boom! [smile]

P99 Compact: I have a full size P99 that I really like. Do I gain much over
the KelTec?

Kahr: I am really not familiar with these guys

1911: Maybe something like a CCO?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Smith & Wesson J frame. It simply disappears. I am 5' 9" and 185 lbs and you cannot tell I have it on.

IMO belt/holster/modes of dress etc are more important than the gun is,
to a point.

Also remember that 99% of people can't really pick out a person who
is carrying a gun. I have (close, gun owning) friends who can't tell I'm
carrying and they -know- that I probably am, but they still often end
up asking. If they can't tell then I doubt the sheeple can.... and the
sheeple are even less likely to notice. IMO sheeple will only ever see
something if you completely blow concealment somehow, or the printing
is so bad that it prints the entire outline of the gun through your
clothing. I'm not saying that concealment isn't good- I guess what
I'm getting at is that you may be trying too hard.

There's also something to be said for "going with what you know". If you
shoot the Kel Tec well, it's reliable, and you have faith in it, I don't see
anything wrong with that choice- especially if that choice leaves you less
inclined to leave the gun at home.

FWIW, I am kind of in the same boat... and despite only carrying one or two of like 6
carryable pistols, I still cannot convince myself to get rid of the rest of them, for any
reason.

-Mike

Right now I carry either a fullsize G22 or a SW1911 (railed full size version) IWB with a cheapass Uncle Mike's holster and under a jacket they both conceal fine. I'm almost sure a trained LEO eye would see it but I'm equally sure that most people won't. I have a horrible body for concealment but they both work fine and I plan to try my SW520 at some point. I don't CCW often since I can only do it out of state, but I'm not that worried about a little bulge, I'd take that over using a smaller gun I couldn't hit anything with.

Firtree,
You and me and a lot of others are looking for the same thing, a compact PDW, with a little better build quality than the P11. There aren't many choices. The Kahr MK series is attractive, if you can find one, but they're pretty scarce. The closest I've seen is the Walther PPK. You'll have to decide for yourself whether the .380, with the right load, is adequate. I'm of the opinion that it will do just fine and the fact that they have been around for most of 75 years is a compelling argument.
Jack

I carry a G29 whenever I can because I shoot it well and like the idea of carrying a powerful caliber. It's not an easy pistol to conceal with light clothing but it can be done.

If not the G29 (or sometimes with the G29), I'll carry a S&W 642.

I've carried the PPK. It's flat enough to conceal well, but it's heavy. If I'm going to carry a .380, I'd rather carry my old Colt Pocket Model that conceals better than any .380 pistol I've ever seen.

keltec p11 loaded (10 + 1, gold-dots)

21.8 oz

Patriot 45 loaded (6 + 1 , silver tips)

26.4 oz

I find my Sig P239 in .40 to be about as easy to carry as the Walther P99 compact in 9mm. In an IWB holster they are both reasonably comfortable, but not exactly ideal. The P99 compact is lighter, but thicker -- all in all, I consider the two comparable. I also have a Walther PPK, which is much smaller, reasonably heavy for its size, and easier to carry than either the P239 or P99 compact, but it is less accurate (for me, anyway) and of course requires a drop to .380. If I could get my hands on a Kahr or Keltec I would give each a try, but Massachusetts doesn't think this is in my interest (at least buying new).

Last edited:
I'm very much in the same boat. Have been buying CCW guns like crazy the last year or two and haven't quite found the perfect compromise.

Tried g26, 27 and 33 in a Milt Sparks Watch6. Nice guns but thick as you said and the 40 and 33 are a bit snappy for 2nd shot recovery. The 19 and 23 really aren't that much bigger and i've taken to carrying those instead but smaller would be nicer. Love my g30 but just can't see carrying it. Blew up the g36 after only a few shots (1 bad reload in 7k+ rounds [sad]) so not enough experience to tell.

38 snubbie wheelgun is definitely concealable but I just can't get a good grip on the stock grips and the big rubber Hogue grips give up too much CCW wise and the 1 5/8" barrel just isn't accurate enough in my hands and only 5 rounds.

Also tried the Kahr K9 in 9mm which seems to be a nice gun but for some reason it's also not that accurate in my hands.

Sig 232 in a Fobus is a really convenient slip on gun for going to the store but a little concerned about the 380 ballistics and I'm only accurate at really short ranges with those sights.

Love my 5" stainless S&W 1911 but even in a Milt Sparks VMII you have to be serious to carry it regularly. 4.25" Scandium is definitely lighter but still not "forgettable" on your hip. 3" Colt Defender in .45 is significantly more concealable, need to get a 3" holster (rather than my commander size VMII) to see just how much more comfortable it would be to carry it. Fair bit of recoil and only 6 shots but like the caliber.

There's a HK USPC in 9mm for sale on the board here so maybe that'll be the "perfect" pistol for me [laugh].

Good luck in your pursuit, I'm certainly having fun with mine...

Edited to add:

Maybe we could do a NES get together this summer to try out some CCW pistols and holsters. I still have everything but the g33 and g36 and a bunch of holsters so there's lots of toys if people want to try them out.

Last edited:
A gun you CAN readily obtain in MA - and at a reasonable price - is the S&W CS 9. Check one out.

or for a little more money, the CS45. Either of them are fine ultra dependable guns.

cs45.jpg

I think there is something to say about seasonal changes and the ability to carry. During the spring/summer months its alot harder to conceal just due to clothing and accesories that are not needed. During the fall/winter with sweatshirts, jackets etc it can be alot easier to carry a larger piece.

Since I began carrying I have resulted in feeling most comfortable with a snub nose S&W #642 (see avatar). As stated by others its lightweight and easy to conceal. I began carrying my newest H&K USP compact within the last week and have found the weight not to be an issue but the ability to carry conceal will be lost when the spring/summer wardrobe come out. I will most likely switch back and forth or who knows what may be in collection by next season. :)

P99 Compact: I have a full size P99 that I really like. Do I gain much over the KelTec?

I have a full-size P99 and a P99 Compact. I also have a Milt Sparks VersaMax2 IWB holster for the P99C and a nice belt from beltman.net. The P99C is significantly easier to carry than the full size, but the holster works for both guns (I get about 1/4" of the front slide sticking out of the holster when I use it with my full-soze P99).

I've never handled a KelTec so I can't help you there.

I usually switch to a Seecamp for warm-weather carry.

As others have said, clothing choices seem to be the dominant factor in what is concealable. Personally, I've chosen not to make any clothing changes to allow for CCW and have followed a similar mode of carry for the past 9 years very effectively in all seasons and in a variety of clothing styles... I carry in my left front pocket (left handed) using a simple uncle-mikes pocket holster.
For a while I carried a Kel-Tec P32 (since sold) which was easily concealable but I was highly inaccurate with and is only a .32ACP.
For several years now, I've carried a Kahr MK9 in my pocket and found it highly concealable. I find I need to wear a tigher belt to prevent my pants from falling down from the weight and there is some evidence of bulk in my pocket but with some minor modification to the holster (packed some cotton patches in the 'free area' in the holster to give the holster a more square appearance on the bottom and not print the shape of the gun) I've been able to carry quite well. Access in a car/sitting is almost impossible but that is true of many carry modes.

I do find that the bulk/weight makes dress pants look a bit off but I'm usually willing to pay that price. In jeans and most shorts I've found no issues.
Hope this helps.

BTW, I also have a Kahr K9 and the size difference is negligible for me versus the MK9 with the extended magazine. I use the MK9 because that is the one I've upgraded the trigger on.

Accuracy for me is still terrible compared to a full size (love my CZ75b) but fine for the closer quarters likely in CCW usage.

I'd love to try a Kahr P9 or P40 but I haven't seen any in MA.

I also endorse the P239. Small, reliable, and easy to shoot. I'm not much of a Glock fan.

P7M8 is also recommended, if you can find one in MA.

I've been carrying my Para Carry 6.45 LDA for over a year now and love it... It's technically a 7.45 as ParaOrdinance accidently included 7-round mags - go figure.

I am continually impressed with the sweet LDA trigger and the amazing accuracy this gun is capable of out of a 3.5" barrel... It carries nice and flat, (as it's a single stack), draws nicely sights well and comes back to point in a jiff. It's heavy for a compact, but I can take it...

The Sig 239 is a great pistol, but it's too heavy.
I'd recommend the following:
Summer carry: Smith and Wesson 360PD
Winter carry: Smith and Wesson 1911PD 4.25"

At home: Sig 229 .40 with rail mounted light backed up by a Remington 870.

There's a HK USPC in 9mm for sale on the board here so maybe that'll be the "perfect" pistol for me [laugh].
I carried my fullsize USP .45 a few times and it was a little uncomfortable to say the least! So I too thought that the compact USP
would be ideal until I measured it up against my fullsize SW99 that is my main carry right now. The USP compact is roughly
.125-.25" shorter from the bottom of the grip to the top of the slide and roughly a .25" or so shorter in length than my SW99
so it would be no easier to conceal in my eyes. Not that the fullsize P99/SW99 is difficult to conceal, but it would be nice if
the 'compact' HK was actually 'compact'!

J

Remember when walther made good, reliable, and attractive guns?

I think they still do. I'll admit I'm not real crazy about the looks of the PPS but I am looking forward to getting a chance to check it out. My Walther P99 has been 100% reliable. It's also one of the most comfortable pistols I've shot.

Remember when walther made good, reliable, and attractive guns?

My P99AS is the most reliable pistol I've ever had. It also points the best, has the best trigger of all my semi-autos, and is very comfortable in the hand. Accuracy is excellent.

As far as being ugly... Well, I guess that is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's pretty mean looking.

My Sig P239 .357/.40 is a fantastic carry piece for fall and spring as well. Winter carry is the Sig P220 .45, hands down.

What is the PPS, a .380? Is that gonna be high cap (except in MA of course)?

I carry a Para OPS (3.5" single stack 1911) and I love it. I am a pretty small/slim guy, but I have no problems, it disappears in an IWB holster and lies very flat. And of course it is a 1911, so the trigger is excellent and I can shoot it pretty accurately. Holds 7 rounds but the grip is shorter than full size. Paras get bashed a lot on here, but both of the ones I've owned have been 100% reliable.

This pistol is heavy but the shape/slimness are winners in my book. I used to carry lighter pistols, such as G26, but they were too fat with double stack. I carried G36 for a while, and while it was a sweet carry, the light weight made follow up shots next to impossible with self defense ammo (the thing was SNAPPY to say the least). So while the weight of the Para OPS can be a pain during summer, it is worth it to me for shootability and recoil recovery.

My P99AS is the most reliable pistol I've ever had. It also points the best, has the best trigger of all my semi-autos, and is very comfortable in the hand. Accuracy is excellent.

As far as being ugly... Well, I guess that is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's pretty mean looking.

My Sig P239 .357/.40 is a fantastic carry piece for fall and spring as well. Winter carry is the Sig P220 .45, hands down.

What is the PPS, a .380? Is that gonna be high cap (except in MA of course)?

The PPS is their new single stack 9mm.
http://www.handgunforum.net/showthread.php?p=64418

There's been a mixed acceptance of it's looks, but I'm still interested in checking it out when it's available. Especially considering how well my P99 has performed.

Back
Top Bottom