Returning a firearm?

Refund, Return & Cancellation Policies

Contrary to popular belief, there is no set law about return policies in Massachusetts. As long as a product is not defective, a store can have any return policy they want so long as it is clearly disclosed somewhere in the store and you have a chance to read it before buying your product. Defective merchandise must be accepted for return, regardless of any policy, and you must be given the option of a repair, replacement item, or refund of the price.
  • A salesperson cannot misrepresent the store's return policy in order to convince you to buy an item or fail to honor it should you wish to return it during the disclosed return period.
  • When a store issues a merchandise credit for returned goods, you have at least seven years from the date of issue to redeem the credit.
  • “Cooling-off periods” exist only in certain, limited situations. Many consumers mistakenly believe that after they purchase a product they have a "cooling-off period" during which they can cancel the contract or return an item.
When is the cooling-off period allowed?
Door-to-Door Sales: If you make a purchase for over $25 at a place other than a merchant's usual place of business, Massachusetts and federal law allows you three days to cancel and get your money back. You must notify the seller in writing within three business days of signing the contract and must allow the seller to pick up the goods at your house, or agree to ship the items back to the seller at no cost to you. If the seller does not pick up the goods within 20 days of the notice of cancellation, then you may keep or dispose of them as you wish.
Credit Repair and Services Organizations: You may cancel a contract for credit repair and services until midnight of the third business day after signing it. Your payment will be returned within 10 days of the organization receiving your cancellation notice.
Gym or Health Club memberships: Consumers have three business days to cancel a health club contract no matter where it was signed. Cancellation must be done by written notice and your money must be refunded within 15 days. (Health spas, sports clubs, weight control centers, and martial arts schools are all considered health clubs.)
Time Shares: To cancel a time share contract, notify the seller of your intent to cancel no later than three business days after signing the contract. If you paid by check, a refund must be made immediately as long as the check was not yet deposited into the seller's account, otherwise it must be refunded within 7 days. If you paid by credit card, a credit must be made to your account immediately.

If I could spend the time to find it, I would. But I know for a fact you can return a vehicle within 3 days.
You would spend the rest of your life looking, because there's no such law.

Reminds me of my collage Trigonometry professor. He asked someone how to trisect an angle with a compass and ruler, and the student replied "I forgot".

The professor replied "That's terrible. The only person in the world who knew how to trisect an angle with a compass and ruler and you forgot."

Mass laws state a retailer has to refund the purchase price on any item that is returned within 3 days with receipt, no questions asked. It also applies to auto sales believe it or not.
Wow!! Can you provide a cite?
You would spend the rest of your life looking, because there's no such law.
Whenever laws of questionable veracity are posted (for example, LTCs that self-expire when you move out of state) the response for proof is always a simple repetition of the assertion; "I know" or "I don't have time to look it up for you". Always.

Its like the occasional person who will claim to have a "federal carry permit" but they always managed to not renew it, lost it, etc.

But one can be surprised, like when I challenged the guy who claimed to have a PNG carry permit ..... and he actually did. I have seen fewer of those (1) that NYC carry permits.
The professor replied "That's terrible. The only person in the world who knew how to trisect an angle with a compass and ruler and you forgot."
How do you insult a mathematican? Just call him an "circle squarer" but I suppose "angle trisector" will do.

Last edited:
If a customer has a problem with a new gun I recommend either sending back themselves or I will take it and send it back on their behalf.

If it gets taken in by me, sent to the manufacturer, returned and then returned to the buyer, no 4473 is required. It is logged as "gunsmithing" and that does not require paperwork beyond my bound book as long as it is returned to the person who gave it to me.

There is no path for a dealer to get a refund on the gun. Some distributors will take back an unsold gun. Some will take back an unsold gun and handle dealing with the manufacturer. Most just say "deal with the manufacturer". If the dealer as to give a refund, then they flat out lose money. They now have a gun that is used (even if unfired) that they may get repaired, but now have to sell as used. Unless it is a high demand gun during COVID, they will lose. Its not like the dealer can check out the gun for functionality before selling it...

Crackpot you always post good stuff here. Do you own a shop in Worcester county? Would love to give you some business.

If you purchase a firearm, whether it be a pistol, rifle or shotgun and it malfunctions multiple times and/or is defective, can the dealer take it back in return and refund you? Does the 3 day return policy in Mass be valid on firearms?
Sure the dealer can take it back, will they? Doubt it. Most decent ones will offer to orchestrate factory repair free of charge, though.

If the dealer ships it back for you, and receives it back from manufacturer, can he give it back to you without new paperwork?
I purchased a Henry lever action from kittery trading post last year. Their policy that was explained to me on new fire arms is if you have problems with the functioning bring it back and they will ship it to the manufacturer for repair free of charge. Had to take them up on that offer as the rifle had cycling issues right away. Brought it back to ktp and they boxed it up with a tag explaining the issues and said we will call you when we get it back from Henry. 10 days later got the call......went right up there and picked it up. There was no paperwork involved.
Oh......and Henry fixed it.... ran perfectly and still does.

Depending on how big a fight you are willing to subsidize, take a look at Ch. 106, section 2-608.

i'm sure it's happened but i've never heard of it for a new gun. best case i'm aware is the dealer offers to pack, return and pick up shipping charges for the defective gun for it's trip back to it's origin. i suppose you could do what folks do to car dealerships, stand outside with a sign saying the shop sells lemons. it gets attention. a used gun i imagine a different story...
Back before I knew better, I bought a Stoeger shotgun from Dick’s in Plymouth. Brought it out duck hunting the next morning and ‘click’, nothing. Didn’t know squat about guns and went back to the store that afternoon. Went home with a new gun (after stopping at the club to test it).

I bought a used .22 SA rifle that didn’t feed right, and broke the firing pin within 50 rounds or so. I brought it back and they said the manufacturer would fix it under warranty. I wasn’t too keen on that model anymore after the malfunctions. I suggested that he refund me what I paid for that rifle and I would purchase a different one in his inventory. He would end up with a factory repaired rifle anyway. It worked for both of us.

How do you insult a mathematican? Just call him an "circle squarer" but I suppose "angle trisector" will do.
One afternoon, Howie Carr was talking about
the impossibility of proving a negative.

So I phoned in a Chump Line ad for
"Honest Howie's Four-Sided Triangles -
they're not like those other triangles".

It didn't air; I guess Steve wasn't editing that day.

Well, guess I was wrong, of course the lawmakers change laws all the time. I believe there was a law on the books years ago. I'm showing my age
The lemon law has a resemblance to what you're describing,
but it's hardly as easy as walking into a dealership
and chanting "Beetlejuice" three times to get a refund.

The longer ago you're thinking of,
the less likely that the powerful car dealer lobby
would have put up with a right of recission like that.
qb5Ui67z4rx2KlG9YIUAZGDyKA_qf0T-_v7iIofbbVMym7Cw0QAZ4SpGnjyObg9jg5CGAWNBasQQHeaHDn-vm9OTsCr62sgSWd4Q_7z0Do0.jpg

So I phoned in a Chump Line ad for
"Honest Howie's Four-Sided Triangles -
they're not like those other triangles".
I don't remember the movie, but there was a scene in which Richard Prior's character is scamming people in an investment seminar by explaining "It's not a pyramid scheme, it's a parallellogram, and that extra side is what makes it good. (or something close to that)

I don't remember the movie, but there was a scene in which Richard Prior's character is scamming people in an investment seminar by explaining "It's not a pyramid scheme, it's a parallellogram, and that extra side is what makes it good. (or something close to that)

👍
Bustin' Loose

Mass laws state a retailer has to refund the purchase price on any item that is returned within 3 days with receipt, no questions asked. It also applies to auto sales believe it or not.
Try doing that with ammo!

Back
Top Bottom