• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Restrictions on C&Rs?

In a conversation with someone last night, they told me that a C&R 03 FFL license holder in MA could not legally bring into the state a C&R SKS with anything other than a fixed 10 round magazine, and that hi-cap C&R pistols were also prohibited from being brought in by an 03 FFL.

I poked around, but haven't been able to find anything that supports this contention. Has anyone else looked into this, and if so, what have you learned?

Thanks!

I've never heard that one before.[thinking]

As long as the person also has the appropriate Class A or B LTC, and the firearm/magazine isn't prohibited under the MA AWB, then it's okay to transport/own/posses in MA. Any pre-09/13/94 firearm and/or "Large Capacity Feeding Device" is fine with or without a C&R license.

There are some screwy rules regarding what and what cannot be done to an SKS, but those are Federal laws/ATF rulings that have more to do with importation and 922r parts count.

Original configuration means with magazines that are either original issue or similar design and capacity. There's nothing that makes the magazine different from a firing pin or extractor; any can be replaced as required with either original parts or copies. Simply putting a new magazine into a C&R 1911A1 or P-35 wouldn't void the C&R status.

Ken

I believe the question about firearms in original configuration are those that are on the C&R list and are LESS than 50 years old. Such as the Yugo SKSs. They were put on the list as a particular firearm in it's original configuration. Therefore if you changed it in some way it is no longer considered a C&R because the configuration has changed as from what was approved. Like putting an ATI stock on it or a 30 round after market mag that the firearm was never equipped with or designed for.

I believe the question about firearms in original configuration are those that are on the C&R list and are LESS than 50 years old. Such as the Yugo SKSs. They were put on the list as a particular firearm in it's original configuration. Therefore if you changed it in some way it is no longer considered a C&R because the configuration has changed as from what was approved. Like putting an ATI stock on it or a 30 round after market mag that the firearm was never equipped with or designed for.

I know most if not all distributors that sell Mosin Nagants, Enfields, etc. with synthetic stocks won't ship them to 03 holders because they don't consider them C&R anymore. Much in the same way that the Romanian Tokarev pistols that have surfaced recently aren't C&R because they've had a safety added and aren't in original configuration anymore.
I'm pretty sure that no matter what the age is, if its been modified from original form, it voids C&R status.
As much of a blessing these little pieces of paper are, understanding all the dos and don'ts is a PITA.[sad]

I know one distributor who will sell the Romanian Toks with safeties to C&R holders as long as the pistol is 50+ years. They supposedly got a letter from the BATFE stating that the safety did not change the C&R 50 year status. The distributor sold out very quickly.

just my .02
I've read discussions an the C&RFFL list that seem to indicate that as long as the gun has not been modified in a way that it cannot be restored to original configuration, it is still considered C&R by the ATF. So, missing parts that can be replaced are not a problem, but a shortened barrel would be a disqualifier.
Someone should probably dig out the regs for a look.

My understanding - if you take your C&R Yugo SKS and add a detachable magazine, you have voided the C&R status and now have to add additional US made parts to bring it into 922(r) compliance for an imported firearm. Comes off your C&R log and into your regular inventory. Same goes with adding a non-original-style stock or removing the grenade launcher or bayonet on the Yugos. If you replace a part with an aftermarket part of similar design (for example, a US made gas piston or springs) than the C&R status is still good.

I've seen a ruling that you could remove the bayonet and/or grenade launcher for test firing purposes but it didn't specify how long you could test it for and would assume you need to reattach them when done testing.

Any mods you're not sure about would be worth running by the BATF for a ruling.

Back
Top Bottom