• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Restrictions Hunting Target and Protection???????????

Is it too late to say stay on topic LOL

No it's not.

If someone would like to actually answer the OP's question with something useful, please do so. Otherwise find another place to argue.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to go back and talk to the chief ask his exact intention for those "restrictions" and then ask to have it changed to read "None"

let me say this MY license has restrictions=personal protection on it i to got mis info
on here I am a member of goal this is what goal said to me

This change was made when the new Chief came in several years ago. GOAL fought against the change, but was unsuccessful. As for what you can legally do with a license that has an arbitrary term on it, that is anyone’s guess. I assume you can still use it to hunt with, but the Chief has the final say as to what it means.
James L. Wallace
Executive Director
Gun Owners' Action League
[email protected]
www.goal.org
Yes i did talk with the pd i was told personal protection is the same is ALP
yes i asked them to change it the officer said he can't because the chief will not use the words ALP or none YES WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WORCESTER

Last edited:
SO i then emailed cross-x (lawyer on here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchap36
in worcester they changed my LTC from ALP to
PP i called the cheif but he will not return my call

so what can i do

what is my LTC =RESTRICTION==PERSONAL PROTECTION GOOD FOR?

Roger Chapman

If it is for personal protection, that is as good as it gets.

Just a simple observation.

Gee scriv, without people calling your office you'd be out of business wouldn't you?
Might you not refer the asphalt dude to a competent lawyer for actual advice as I am doing here in an offhand sort of way. It should have been done pre-application but that ship has sailed. I'm sure it is a clerical mix up on his license but I'm no lawyer so I'm probably mistaken. I'm also polite so my advice must suck.
Scriv, I hope you are friendlier in your professional dealings, or is all this just tongue-in-cheek? If not and you are truly this miserable I hope whatever joy you get out of flaming an entire board is worth the price of respect.
mike

I have one simple question, why doesn't your brother go back to the Chief and request for a new card with restrictions listed as NONE? Would that not be much simpler than worrying about when and if he can carry?

I have one simple question, why doesn't your brother go back to the Chief and request for a new card with restrictions listed as NONE? Would that not be much simpler than worrying about when and if he can carry?

because the chief said he will not do that.....

That's an interesting distinction.
So you can't use your gun to protect your wife, baby, family or friends? Only yourself?

It means his LTC was issued by a clueless cop. "Reason(s) For Issuance" was replaced by "Restriction(s) over two, if not three, years ago.

It's partially your brother's own fault for submitting a poorly-written app. He should have written:

Restriction(s): NONE (formerly "All Lawful Purposes")

instead of that laundry list of possible uses. [rolleyes]

Since my LTC-A says "Restrictions: Target and Hunting", by that logic, the only thing I can do is carry concealed and never target practice or hunt. However, I'm fairly certain that is not what they had in mind.

The way I read his license is that "Target, hunting and protection" is EVERYTHING. So is that not the same as no restrictions??

I think that would be reasonable to assume, since the chief's statement to "be careful carrying in a bar," would seem to indicate he meant for the license to allow for everyday carry.

Would not the chief of any town urge "caution" when carrying in a bar while getting trashed?? Thats like the chief saying "look both ways before crossing the street"

The state Criminal History Systems Board recently released information indicating that the number of gun owners in Massachusetts has declined by more than 25% in the past six years.

According to Worcester Police Department records, however, the numbers in the city have actually remained steady. The one significant change is in the category of handguns, which show a noticeable increase. In 2005 there were 617 handgun permits issued in Worcester. In 2006 that number went up to 784, and already this year, there have been 821 permits issued.

The numbers clearly indicate an increase, but Worcester Police Chief Gary Gemme says they can be deceiving. "What's missing is the total number of applications that were up for renewal," he says. "We have, over the last three years, denied and revoked a fairly large number of permits."

Given these factors, Gemme says the increase has to be put into perspective. "Between January 2003 and December 2003, we issued 1,300 licenses to carry. When I became chief in 2004, I changed the policy and at the end of the year we gave out 674."
That may be the case, but it doesn't explain the increase in the number of handgun permits issued in the last three years.

"Again, what I don't have is the number up for renewal," he says. "For instance, in 2004, there may have been 1,400 up for renewal and we issued 674." Records show that between 2001 and 2007, the number of citizens issued permits to carry a licensed weapon statewide went from 330,000 to 240,000. A license to carry a firearm in the state costs $100 and is good for six years.

"Criminal History tracks the licenses that are issued, but they don't track the licenses that never make it to their systems," says James Wallace, executive director of the Northboro-based Gun Owners Action League, or GOAL.

Opponents of gun control attribute the decline in the number of legally obtained firearms in the state to a litany of factors.

"You have three things happening," Wallace says. "You have people who have given up because of the bureaucracy. You have a lot of people who have moved out of state because of the way they were treated as a gun owner. And you have a large number of people who have just had it. They own guns and they are not going to bother renewing their licenses."

Wallace says another factor to consider is the Massachusetts Gun Control Act of 1998, which significantly changed the manner in which guns are licensed, especially when it comes to license renewals. "We've been working on these gun laws since they passed them," he says. "Prior to that law passing, we had a million and a half licensed gun owners. Now we are down to 240,000."

In Massachusetts, local police chiefs assume the responsibility of issuing gun licenses.

Opponents say the law gives local police chiefs too much power and creates an inconsistent set of rules across the state. "There's no accountability in the licensing system," says Wallace. "Every city and town seems to have their own way of doing things. It absolutely drives our members crazy."

While there is a decrease in the state numbers and an increase in the city's tally, there is an ironic twist to the story. Chief Gemme has built a reputation for being tough on gun control and Worcester shows an increase in the issuing of gun permits. That is a notable item that you would expect GOAL to be in favor of, but Wallace is not ready to endorse Chief Gemme.

"The chief is the one who can deny you," Wallace says. "He can just say, ‘No.' That's what Chief Gemme started doing when he first came in. He had these new, bizarre criteria you had to meet in order to qualify to own a handgun in his city."

Gemme says, "I think when you look at the people we have denied or revoked, they all had to do with some domestic violence / criminal conduct in their past. " o

< Prev Next >
[ Back ]

Current Issue: Oct. 9, 2008

he can do anything because he is the chief

Would not the chief of any town urge "caution" when carrying in a bar while getting trashed?? Thats like the chief saying "look both ways before crossing the street"

No, a chief who issued you a license with restrictions that he intended to mean you couldn't carry wouldn't tell you to be careful when carrying in a bar. He'd tell you, "Don't carry in a bar or anywhere else or I'll pull your license."

Back
Top Bottom