• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Restraining order question

Easy said about hiring a Lawyer which is very expensive, Everyone seems to want to replay their option here. How about starting a GOFUNDME page and lets see how many people still want to back up their onion with a few bucks. I will be the first if you start one. your situation could happen to anyone that owns a self protection device.

I disagree.

You can't walk away from crazy when crazy presents itself out of nowhere and the cops are knocking on or knocking DOWN your door.

It doesn't take two to get things to restraining order proportions, it only takes one mentally unstable, immature woman who has a fit of anger and decides to take it to the limits.
Bullshit.
In the early dating stages most of the personalities should have reared their ugly heads.
I know. I know. The sex was great.

Easy said about hiring a Lawyer which is very expensive, Everyone seems to want to replay their option here. How about starting a GOFUNDME page and lets see how many people still want to back up their onion with a few bucks. I will be the first if you start one. your situation could happen to anyone that owns a self protection device.
The guy is in legal jeopardy. He needs someone who can fix that.
What logic can you defend that says he doesn't need a lawyer or that anyone suggesting the right course of action somehow takes on fiscal responsibility?

Why should I contribute to a gofundme for this? It wasn't my willy getting wet.

Hiring a lawyer is not expensive. Have you ever hired one for some advice?

The lawyer is not going to ask for a $50K upfront payment to deal with a restraining order or deal with the PoPo when the OP wants his LTC back.

No dude. This is why people need to be smart and be able to walk away from crazy.

We also dont know the other side of the story, we don't know what the OP said, or how he treated his ex girlfriend.

Most of the time these things don't happen out of nowhere, it takes two to get this sh*t to the point of restraining orders. Very few times you will hear of a guy that is the nicest person in the world, a saint, and some chick just gets a restraining order on him for no reason.

I am not saying the OP is a bad person.
The problem with your position is that they are ALL crazy. They may be fine for 20 years (rare) but one day the switch flips and you are sleeping in your car with a restraining order and paying half your income for child support. Also while you pay for the house Tyrone and his buddies use to run a train on your wife.

90% of men fall into one of two categories. Those that have been burned by a woman and those that haven’t been burned YET.

Somebody make a meme of Fishfinder’s avatar replacing the bat signal.

Request the thread be deleted and speak to a lawyer. Regardless of the LTC being removed (pretty sh*tty no doubt). I’d be more concerned about what else she is willing to lie about at this point.

The problem with your position is that they are ALL crazy. They may be fine for 20 years (rare) but one day the switch flips and you are sleeping in your car with a restraining order and paying half your income for child support. Also while you pay for the house Tyrone and his buddies use to run a train on your wife.

90% of men fall into one of two categories. Those that have been burned by a woman and those that haven’t been burned YET.
I wouldn't call them all crazy.

My uncle got a divorce at age 60. They divided everything 50/50 no restraining order. They still attend all the family events and talk. 2 kids - but in their 30s.

Buddy of mine got a divorce, with a kid, at around age 35. No restraining order.

I was with a woman 9 years, got married, she went insane 5 months later and asked for a divorce. No restraining order. Although she might fit into your "all are crazy" category. But she even said we were not getting lawyers, filled the paperwork in an afternoon, paid $150, done. No kids.

My cousin got a divorce a few months back. She didn't get a restraining order on her ex. 2 kids.

My co-worler got a divorce last January, his wife didn't get a restraining order. 2 kids.

My second cousin divorced a few years back, no restraining order on her husband. In fact, she even introduced him to me for some business we did together. 1 kid (was over 18 at the time of divorce).

While a lot of women are pretty crazy, and a lot of dudes are f*cking idiots, can't say "ALL" - At least in my experience.

I wouldn't call them all crazy.

My uncle got a divorce at age 60. They divided everything 50/50 no restraining order. They still attend all the family events and talk. 2 kids - but in their 30s.

Buddy of mine got a divorce, with a kid, at around age 35. No restraining order.

I was with a woman 9 years, got married, she went insane 5 months later and asked for a divorce. No restraining order. Although she might fit into your "all are crazy" category. But she even said we were not getting lawyers, filled the paperwork in an afternoon, paid $150, done. No kids.

My cousin got a divorce a few months back. She didn't get a restraining order on her ex. 2 kids.

My co-worler got a divorce last January, his wife didn't get a restraining order. 2 kids.

My second cousin divorced a few years back, no restraining order on her husband. In fact, she even introduced him to me for some business we did together. 1 kid (was over 18 at the time of divorce).

While a lot of women are pretty crazy, and a lot of dudes are f*cking idiots, can't say "ALL" - At least in my experience.
My divorce went smooth also. I shouldn’t have emphasized the restraining order, because that isn’t a prerequisite for crazy.

My ex is crazy, but more of just a c*nt really. We split with no lawyers and get along fine now that someone else is f***er her now. She is still crazy though, just not as vindictive as most of them.

Sorry you have that view but......you don't know everybody. My wife's parents were married for 40 years until my FIL died of cancer.....happily......my parents were married for their lifetime.........both mine and my wife's grandparents.......same thing married once and married for life. My wife and I celebrated 27 years last August.....if Iisten to you I should be planning my escape. No thanks......I'm all set.

OP I’d plan on never getting your LTC back.

This exact same scenario happened to a buddy of mine who works at the sheriffs department and nothing he did, letters, crying, court, bitching ect.. ect.. ect… helped him. I’m not saying it’s a done deal but plan on it so your not completely in shock over it

The guy didn't really post anything that should need to be removed - it was pretty much unemotional.
It would be great if there was a sticky written by one of the legal experts that gives a clear step by step on dealing with being served and how to preempt if you believe one may be coming.
Any thread like that would need to be posted, locked, and then made sticky so the contentious crew can't bury it in stupid BS.

Hopefully the OP has contacted one of the suggested 2A lawyers already so he can get the ball rolling on appealing the RO and set the stage for getting his LTC back (which is pretty much a certainty in most towns if the situation is as he stated and he gets competent counsel)

OP I’d plan on never getting your LTC back.

This exact same scenario happened to a buddy of mine who works at the sheriffs department and nothing he did, letters, crying, court, bitching ect.. ect.. ect… helped him. I’m not saying it’s a done deal but plan on it so your not completely in shock over it

that's pretty defeatist, IMHO if he gets good counsel he will get out of hte tunnel eventually, assuming of course theres no substance to the claims etc.

A more realistic thing is though, is the OP should understand.... thie battle might take YEARS. So theres that, but the sooner he gets moving on it the sooner he can get the shit
dealt with and move on.

As has been said, get a lawyer and delete this thread.

More specific to the OPs question. Assuming the TRO was dismissed when she didn't show up. The police will send you a letter revoking your LTC for suitability. It's up to you to appeal this. DO NOT GO INTO THAT COURTROOM WITHOUT A LAWYER. You will probably lose the first round anyway, but you need to set up for the second. Frankly, given MA, your chances aren't good. But without a lawyer they're less than zero.

Moving to NH is a legitimate option.

that's pretty defeatist, IMHO if he gets good counsel he will get out of hte tunnel eventually, assuming of course theres no substance to the claims etc.

A more realistic thing is though, is the OP should understand.... thie battle might take YEARS. So theres that, but the sooner he gets moving on it the sooner he can get the shit
dealt with and move on.
Your right, but speaking from seeing it firsthand I’m just trying to let the OP know that the potential reality of this is not very good.

If he is legit, I’m on his side as I would be with anyone in this type of situation, it’s awful but the danger of literally never being able to look at a gun again is absolutely real

The guy is in legal jeopardy. He needs someone who can fix that.
What logic can you defend that says he doesn't need a lawyer or that anyone suggesting the right course of action somehow takes on fiscal responsibility?
Absolutely. The OP needs to assess how much he cares about ever getting his LTC back. In Mass the odds are not good but with out a good attorney the odds are near zero.

Bullshit.
In the early dating stages most of the personalities should have reared their ugly heads.
I know. I know. The sex was great.
There's a continuum in personalities and though it's unlikely for a person to shift from one extreme to the other, I think it's highly probable that someone can shift from acceptable to unacceptable behavior especially after the honeymoon stage. Something like this:

dull --> stable --> balanced --> moody --> excitable --> passionate --> volatile --> batshit f-ing crazy --> Amber Heard clone

Most everyone is on their best behavior in the early stages. IMHO it could take a year or two of dating to know how your SO is going to react to different scenarios and higher levels of stress.

Absolutely. The OP needs to assess how much he cares about ever getting his LTC back. In Mass the odds are not good but with out a good attorney the odds are near zero.
My assessment would be that he needs to fight tooth and nail even if his LTC was just a whim
He needs to get on record that the entire situation was an overreaction by the local police to a regretful, temporary emotional outburst by the ex during a trying time.

Your right, but speaking from seeing it firsthand I’m just trying to let the OP know that the potential reality of this is not very good.

If he is legit, I’m on his side as I would be with anyone in this type of situation, it’s awful but the danger of literally never being able to look at a gun again is absolutely real

Unless he decides to "do nothing" or "do it himself the wrong way" I disagree, there are lots of people who have defeated a bogus RO and got their LTC back. It's not that uncommon of a thing in this state. 50% of divorces in MA probably involve 209As.

Of course yes, if its purely a suitability thing (there are faggot mc shit PD/chief/LO that hold vices against people who were ever hit by an RO) then he could have more problems and thats another enchilada of bullshit. Of course once the RO is cleared fully he can just move away from that problem.

But we dont have enough detail to know the specifics.

There's a continuum in personalities and though it's unlikely for a person to shift from one extreme to the other, I think it's highly probable that someone can shift from acceptable to unacceptable behavior especially after the honeymoon stage. Something like this:

dull --> stable --> balanced --> moody --> excitable --> passionate --> volatile --> batshit f-ing crazy --> Amber Heard clone

Most everyone is on their best behavior in the early stages. IMHO it could take a year or two of dating to know how your SO is going to react to different scenarios and higher levels of stress.
We dated for 2. Lived together for 2 more. Will hit our 32 years married this Sept.

Was it perfect all the time? Hell no.

As has been said, get a lawyer and delete this thread.

More specific to the OPs question. Assuming the TRO was dismissed when she didn't show up. The police will send you a letter revoking your LTC for suitability. It's up to you to appeal this. DO NOT GO INTO THAT COURTROOM WITHOUT A LAWYER. You will probably lose the first round anyway, but you need to set up for the second. Frankly, given MA, your chances aren't good. But without a lawyer they're less than zero.

Moving to NH is a legitimate option.
Beat me to it

Back
Top Bottom