Request to move big guns away from 22's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile

NES Member
I had an amazing time at the 3 Appleseeds I attended.

I would have done much better the second time around if I only had 22's in my immediate vicinity. The blasting from AR's with muzzle brakes getting hot brass in the face was overwhelming when trying to get a good score.

I think it would be good to keep the big guns on one side of the line.

Is that doable?

Any thoughts?

The blasting from AR's with muzzle brakes getting hot brass in the face was overwhelming

C'mon, that's half the fun... (smile)

Seriously tho No.1... It's been discussed, try setting up on the left side of the line.

Seriously tho No.2... If push comes to shove, the "targets" will be shooting back. That's even more distracting. [thinking]

You have not seen real distraction until you endure a battalion-sized live fire exercise executing final protective firing.

Put me in the "deal with it" camp.

Rifle shooters all over the country every weekend have to deal with the same thing in NRA and CMP matches.

Get rid of the AWB in MA and you can bet folks won't have leaf blower brakes on their ARs any longer...

Reptile, I'll stick up for you. At the April 19th Appleseed at Harvard in '09 I was very happy to be on a .22LR only line (they had so many shooters they had to use multiple ranges/pits). It's no fun when the guy next to you has a tank brake on the front of his AR kicking crap in your face.

Get rid of the AWB in MA and you can bet folks won't have leaf blower brakes on their ARs any longer...

I disagree. Many won't have them removed, and I have seen lots of preban guns that have stupidly noisy brakes on them, too, attached at the preference of the user. They're not going away.

All you can really do is hunker down and put on some better plugs/eyepro or try to choose a better line position.

-Mike

Easy guys it was a legitimate request. If I had to lay down next to MassMark shooting his AR with his old break all day I would end up putting one in to him before the end of the day. That thing would shake your teeth loose.

The brass however Reptile, you just have to suck it up. [wink]

I've been to a few Appleseeds where the lines were set up to have all the .22s together on one side of the line and all the center fires on the other side of the line. I like it that way. I've also worked one at which some .22 shooters decided to stay with their friends or family shooting center fires, and not be with .22 shooters only. I think at least five shooters decided to not move when given the option.

My wife has been to a few, and our plan has been to get there early and take the position to the further left on the line. No one can chuck hot brass onto you from there.

Pelham Appleseed segregated the non-.22LR shooters to the right side of the range.

It's up to the Line Bosses to do this or not.

I guess I keep forgetting about the abundance of muzzle brakes in ban states.

Here hardly anyone uses the obnoxious things and they are prohibited in NRA competition anyway. Only flash suppressors or naked muzzles allowed.

Some of the pictures I've seen posted, it looks like they have shooters crowded into a very close firing line. The NRA standard for points is six feet, I don't know what Applseed specifies.

B

Some of the pictures I've seen posted, it looks like they have shooters crowded into a very close firing line. The NRA standard for points is six feet, I don't know what Applseed specifies.

B

There wasn't much room on either side of the shooting mats . . . maybe 1' on each side if that (at Pelham).

Minimum spacing is 3.5 feet; I prefer to have at least 4' per shooter.

I can see why the OP commented. I've shot on very crowded lines and it can be difficult.

B

Count me as one of those people who see it as part of the learning experience.

If you can continue to concentrate on your target - or shrug just enough to have it roll off - while that piece of hot brass from the guy shooting 308 next to you is lying on the back of your neck - then you are truly getting the Appleseed experience.

Reminds me of that scene in Blackhawk Down where the two Rangers got separated from the main group and are trying to get back to the main group. They stop at one point and the guy with the SAW lets off a few right next to ear of his buddy.

Hey don't shoot that right next to me!

When the shit hits the fan, there will be no 22s on the line. Nor hearing protection.

A little noise and a little stress are a good thing.

When the shit hits the fan, there will be no 22s on the line. Nor hearing protection.

A little noise and a little stress are a good thing.

OK, I've been polite and I've kept my mouth shut but this is too far. Jose, you may be a wonderful shooter and the reincarnation of Tim Murphy, Annie Oakley, Alvin York and Carlos Hathcock all rolled into one, but you obviously have NO CLUE when it comes to your hearing.

ONE exposure to a rifle round can lead to hearing damage. It's cumulative and it doesn't grow back. It may take a while for it to be noticed, but shooting a rifle without hearing protection WILL damage your hearing. I cannot believe that you're actually encouraging shooting without hearing protection.

Do me a favor... stop giving advice if it's all that bad.

Seems to be implying it with the "nor hearing protection" on the line comment.

Massive failure of English reading comprehension.

BTW, I bet I've spent far more time than you working in noisy environments where hearing protection was mandatory.

We were packed tight at the appleseed I went to, lucky I had understanding neighbors as I am sure I kicked them more than once.
We had all the centerfire on the left end of the firing line. I was second from the right and it was great.

I am will toss in support for Jose on the hearing protection dispute - I read the "When the shit hits the fan" as meaning that if we ever have to use our rifles in defense of life and liberty that we won't likely be shooting 22's or using hearing protection.

I read the "When the shit hits the fan" as meaning that if we ever have to use our rifles in defense of life and liberty that we won't likely be shooting 22's or using hearing protection.

See Ross? That's how you do reading comprehension!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom