Reputation Comments

Is there anyway to look back and see all the reputation comments? From the settings page I can see the most recent. But I am trying to reread one from a while ago and cannot see how to get to it. Thanks.

No. Negative rep inbound for asking.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Is there anyway to look back and see all the reputation comments? From the settings page I can see the most recent. But I am trying to reread one from a while ago and cannot see how to get to it. Thanks.

No, it only keeps the current ones. C'est la vie.

No, it only keeps the current ones. C'est la vie.

I don't think this is quite true. Vbulletin only SHOWS a certain number of rep point items, however, I believe it keeps all of them. Also, I think the total reputation score is done through a sum query of the rep items rather than maintained in a separate accumulator (not sure about this point though).

The vbulletin forums show a modification that may be installed to grant access to old rep items:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60496

This post is a bit old, so the code may need to be updated to work with the current
Vbulletin release.

There is also a parameter the administrator can set in the "admincp" controlling how many rep entries are listed and changing this to a higher number should resurrect old ones up to the count limit.

No. Negative rep inbound for asking.

[rofl]

Then again, you won't be able to read that negative comment after ten more comments...

I too, wish I can read old comments. I usually do not look often and I missed a few.

I don't think this is quite true. Vbulletin only SHOWS a certain number of rep point items, however, I believe it keeps all of them. Also, I think the total reputation score is done through a sum query of the rep items rather than maintained in a separate accumulator (not sure about this point though).

The vbulletin forums show a modification that may be installed to grant access to old rep items:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60496

This post is a bit old, so the code may need to be updated to work with the current
Vbulletin release.

There is also a parameter the administrator can set in the "admincp" controlling how many rep entries are listed and changing this to a higher number should resurrect old ones up to the count limit.

Yeah, but the stock interface doesn't have a way to go back and see all the old ones, which is what I interpreted the OP as asking. While sometimes I've found the comments people have made on the reps they've left me to be freakin' hilarious, I think allowing people to see all of their old rep comments would probably lead to more rep whoring that we currently have.

Yeah, but the stock interface doesn't have a way to go back and see all the old ones, which is what I interpreted the OP as asking. While sometimes I've found the comments people have made on the reps they've left me to be freakin' hilarious, I think allowing people to see all of their old rep comments would probably lead to more rep whoring that we currently have.

Exactly that.

Rob is right, the system does have the old ones in it, and mods/admins can still read them. If you REALLY think someone left you a combination for a safe deposit box or something crazy like that (You know, like the phone number that John Matrix has to call in Valverde so his daughter doesn't get killed) in a rep comment, then we might be able to dig it up for you, but don't go bugging us if you want to find out how many people posted "OMG I AGREE XD!!!! " or whatever last year.

-Mike

If it weren't for Zappa I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

One problem with adding extensions is support. Sure, a caretaker could spend an hour or three making the modification, tweaking if necessary, etc. The downside is that this puts the admin in the position of either re-doing this every time the forum software is updated, or risk losing an enhanced add-on feature at upgrade time. Sometimes it's healthier for the long term to avoid the temptation to add custom tweaks to commercial or open source software.

Agreed, the rep comments are one of the best parts of this forum [rofl]

I have 19 points on my rep comments. Are they related to the green boxes under my name?

Last edited:
Actually, I thought of a possible way. As I mentioned before, adding extensions is problematic because of the maintenance issue as new releases come out. It would be a simple matter to write a stand-alone application with a URL like http://www.northeastshooters.com/reputation that a user could log in to and browse their reputation archive. Since it would be independent, outside the Vbulletin distribution area, and require only "read" access it would not be lost on upgrade (unless there was a change in the layout of the relevant tables).

This would be a simple (one evening, two with fine-tuning) task for anyone fluent in MySQL and PHP. If Derek is interested, I'll be glad to do the work.

The only "security clearance" required would be a read (SELECT) only database account and opening of port 3306 to my development system. I'd write the code on my system and give Derek a ZIP file for installation on the server.

rob

As you gain more reputation, you get additional green boxes. The lower levels come a little more quickly, but don't always add boxes (just the title changes).

There was a period when the forum was set so that users giving reputation would give huge chunks at a time (i.e. users with 5000 points would give 50 points each time). That allowed many new users to jump over some of the levels, and unfortunately led to some of the infamous "rep-begging" or "rep-party" threads, thus cheapening the reputation system.

Now I think that all users only give one point at a time, regardless of how many points the giver has received. It might be nice if "power-users" and mods could give 5 or 10 points at a time, but it's not my forum... Derek makes all the rules, and those who would like to stay here for a while generally abide by them, and don't ruffle too many feathers.

One of the ways that Derek's feathers get ruffled is by creating new threads about reputation!
[laugh]

Fixed it. Why do I have 19 rep point's and one green box?

The rep points, as far as I know, are intended to be used as a way to distinguish regular, helpful, long time contributors from the masses. It takes more than 19 people liking something you said to get there.

Bottom line is that if you make quality posts you will get reps. It's not an overnight thing.

The rep points, as far as I know, are intended to be used as a way to distinguish regular, helpful, long time contributors from the masses. It takes more than 19 people liking something you said to get there.

Bottom line is that if you make quality posts you will get reps. It's not an overnight thing.

I'd guess that most people never think of giving folks rep points for good info, so I think the usefulness is really not there. # of posts that aren't "me too" posts with good info I think is a better indicator. Most forums I'm on don't use rep points at all.

I also suspect most have no idea what rep points are or how to give them.

I'd guess that most people never think of giving folks rep points for good info, so I think the usefulness is really not there. # of posts that aren't "me too" posts with good info I think is a better indicator. Most forums I'm on don't use rep points at all.

I also suspect most have no idea what rep points are or how to give them.

Unfortunately I think you're right. Most don't think to add reps that way. I try to because that's how I view/use the system but I'm probably in the minority.

Back
Top Bottom