Replacing a MA compliant Glock frame?

Hello,

Does anyone know what happens if the frame cracks on one of my MA compliant Glocks? (I know this is an extremely rare occurance) Can/will Glock replace the frame or would I be stuck with a slide that has no home? Here in MA we are not privy to new manufactured glocks only ones that are pre-1998.
The reason I ask is that both my Glocks are getting on in age (G23 and G29) and with as much as I shoot them, I am sure someday, something may happen.
Thanks for entertaining my question.
"I worry... so you don't have to!"

I had a crack in the frame of my 23. Glock replaced it free. As far as I was told by the man at Glock, they are protected in doing that by the GCA. As far as work on a gun is concerned, you can mail it back to the manufacturer without going through a dealer, for them to replace a warranty item, or factory refurbish. But, I am not sure about the whole pre 1998 glock thing in MA. I don't think, since you are not buying a new frame/gun from a dealer, it has to be compliant. As I understand it the compliancy is olny required for new purchases from a dealer. And since it would be going directly from you to Glock and back to you, you should be good. Just my two cents though. Hopefully somebody from MA that knows more about their laws will chime in.

According to the law, MA "purveyors of handguns" (translation = a MA business with a MA Dealer's license) is PROHIBITED from selling/transferring any handgun that is not compliant with the EOPS List and the double-secret AG requirements.

Most Glocks are on the EOPS List, but they will never be approved by our current AG (I suspect this will also be true of the next AG, Martha Coakley).

Since Glock-GA does not directly sell ("purvey") handguns in MA, nothing in the MGLs would prevent Glock from replacing a broken frame with a new one of the latest generation.

On the other hand, I doubt that Glock would do that, based on something similar that happened to another person (reported in another forum) from MA. Glock ended up replacing his gun with a totally new gun (different model) since they claimed that they didn't have a replacement frame that was MA compliant.

Okay. Idon't live in MA, but this MA compliant thing is boggling my mind. What exactly on a glock is not MA compliant? I just dn't get it. Is it the lack of a external user operated safety? In that case, it is impossible to buy a glock in MA, right. Sorry for the stupid question, I am just trying to wrap my mind around it.

03, if you try to figure it out, all you'll get is a brain cramp! :(

Glock is on the EOPS list, has been for a number of years. So, it meets the MGLs.

Glock did what the AG's Regs required, so they self-certified (AG will NEVER give his OK on any gun) and started selling here. AG cried "gotcha" and sent a "cease and desist" order to Glock and all MA Dealers.

What the real issue is with the AG, he kept secret. AG refused to give copies of the details to GCAB (this according to the Chairman of said committee). Glock is in limbo and thus can't sell anything new here until at least we get a reasonable AG in office . . . and there are none of those on the horizon.

I think it all comes down to Glock not having a LCI that meets with the AG wishes. Glock did redesign the pistols to have a LCI to comply but his holiness didn't like it. Can't say I blame them for not doing business in Mass. when they have 49 other states to make money in.

These manufactuers need to do what Ron Barret did, and not sell to police agencies in this state, untill this AG double secret probation thing goes away.

Swatmedic,

I think you are correct. Afterall, having an non AG Mass Compliant Firearm in the hands of the police is an officer safety issue. How does the AG justify this ?

Glock should curb their LE sales in Mass until this issue is resolved.

Len: You gave me a nightmare scenario: Gov Riley and AG Coakley.
I hope that there is someone out on the horizon that is a suitable gubernatorial candidate. Healy doesn't exactly float my boat either. She's dangerous because she thinks she is a criminal justice "expert".

Mark

Boston Irish,

when my Para P10 cracked a frame rail, I shipped it back to Para. Three days later, I had "my" gun back... basically, they put my slide & barrel on a new frame, with a new serial number, with a sticker on it noting that it could not be sold in MA to a dealer.

Hopefully, Glock will do something similar for you.

So does this mean they won't replace broken frames? Both of my glocks have been refurbed (one last month and one in 8/04) and are in great shape. But there is the "what if" factor.
Oh and by the way AG Reilly is a crook! Has anyone heard about him covering up a toxicology report for the two southboro girls who were killed in that car crash? Turns out the father was a campaign contibutor.
And people want this guy for Govenor?

Boston-Irish said:
Has anyone heard about him covering up a toxicology report for the two southboro girls who were killed in that car crash? Turns out the father was a campaign contibutor.
And people want this guy for Govenor?

There's been a lot of discussion in General or Off-Topic on this.

And no, no one here wants Herr Reilly for our governer!

Thanks dwarven1
I have heard on "glock talk" that glock will replace almost anything, it just gets into the grey area with the regs.
Thanks for your input. It put my mind at ease.
The lack of info ont this may also be a good thing. Maybe it "has never happened" here in MA, and Glocks are really THAT durable.
Keeping my fingures crossed.
If I called Glock do you think they would give me a straight answer?

Boston-Irish said:

Sure, why not? You're not buying new gun, you're an existing customer. I'd like to think that they'll take care of you one way or another.

Boston-Irish said:
Thanks dwarven1
I have heard on "glock talk" that glock will replace almost anything, it just gets into the grey area with the regs.
The lack of info ont this may also be a good thing. Maybe it "has never happened" here in MA, and Glocks are really THAT durable.

When I have spoken to glock, they were very helpful and poilite. Just ask to be tranferred to tech services. I thought I was going to be in trouble when the frame on my glock cracked, because I had bought it used, and thus was not the original owner. The warranty card said that it was non-transferrable from the original owner. But, I had no problems, with no questions asked. I got mine back in about 1.5 weeks. Good Luck.

Glock, Regs.

Boston-Irish said:
Thanks dwarven1
There is no gray area. If Glock does not hold a "Massachusetts License to Sell Firearms", Glock is not capable of violating the AG regulations.

Glock support is great. I tell students in the club level pistol courses I teach that if you want a basic reliable gun at a decent price, get a Glock or S&W (some models), and caution that some of the "big names" prefer to use terms like "out of warrantee" and "acceptable service life" rather than "we'll take care of you."

I've had several occasions to deal with Glock - as a Glock certified armorer, they will ship parts directly to me to fix guns, saving the owner the trouble of a round trip to the factory. I don't have an FFL, so I only assist someone "on the spot" - I don't "take in" guns. Usually it's just a small part - firing pin; trigger return spring; trigger retaining pin; etc. Once, a barrel broke off the underlug. In *ALL* cases, Glock has provided a replacement part quickly. Most amazingly was the case of the broken barrel - the gun was out of warrantee and the owner used reloads (and yes, I mentioned both of these points in my letter to Glock).

The level of parts breakage I have seen in Glocks is not excessive - the guns I have seen with problems are owned by people who shoot them regularly (almost every week). What's really nice about these rather plain looking guns is how easy it is to repair any problem short of frame damage or failure.

Hey you guys have been great! Thanks for all the helpful info. I hope I never have any problems. If I do I know there is hope.
Before owning glocks, I was mainly a 1911 guy. I own several of them and am just coming off a bad experience with Auto-Ordnance. I knew when I bought it that it was not a Para or S&W and was on the low end of what I usually shoot. I found out quickly that you get what you pay for.
Thanks again!

mark056 said:

I've avoided the "Our Next Gov" thread in the General Discusion thread beacuase I find this prospect just too depressing to think about...

Matt

Irish,

I don't recall if I posted this on NES or another forum within the past 2-3 days, but . . .

Someone from MA had a cracked Glock frame. Glock stated that they did not have any MA compliant Model xx frames in stock, so they replaced the entire gun with a new Model yy gun.

Since Glock is not a "MA purveyor of firearms" (MGL terminology), they are NOT legally prohibited from replacing a broken frame with a non-compliant one, but it appears that they may not want to go down that road.

Regardless, you can count on Glock (and S&W) to "make you whole" with any gun problems you might have. You will not regret purchasing either company's products . . . at least not from a support point of view.

matt said:
mark056 said:

I've avoided the "Our Next Gov" thread in the General Discusion thread beacuase I find this prospect just too depressing to think about...

Matt

The quote (or some semblance thereof) "for evil to prevail, all that needs to happen is for good men/women to do nothing"!

There is no viable Republican party in MA, they have no "winning candidates for anything here! Romney was an "import" and doesn't count.

I just don't see any other good candidate running against these two turkeys, therefore they will win by default. Personally I have no intent to vote for either of them, but my vote isn't about to change anything.

For the record, I dislike both parties and am a member of neither! I vote and support the best candidate (which may be the least worst in MA).

Well, I can't be accused of doing nothing... just not a glutton for punishment. I work with my local Republican Committee and we are trying to figure out how to raise up viable candidates that are, get this, actually republican rather than the tripe the party throws us.

Matt[/i]

I now have the authoritative information that Glock (or any mfr) can replace a broken frame by doing one of the following:

- ship gun/frame to original owner directly ONLY if it is the same S/N.

- ship (non-MA compliant) frame ONLY (NOT an entire gun) to an FFL for legal transfer as a frame (4473/NICS, NO FA-10) to original gun owner.

If entire gun is replaced with a non-MA complaint gun (different S/N or different model), the original owner is screwed, can't take possession of it at all (since MA dealer is prohibited from doing the required transfer).

Now, convincing Glock that they can do this is a whole 'nother story.

I am very sorry to inform all of my fellow Mass citizens that Glock will not replace a frame for a mass customer. The only exception is if they have an old pre-1998 frame lying around. Unfortunately, I know through experience. This was the policy as of spring 2006.

massnee said:
I am very sorry to inform all of my fellow Mass citizens that Glock will not replace a frame for a mass customer. The only exception is if they have an old pre-1998 frame lying around. Unfortunately, I know through experience. This was the policy as of spring 2006.

So what do they do? Tell you you're SOL?

Back
Top Bottom