• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Replacement AR-15 buffer spring

My AR seems to be short-stroking when I fire Wolf ammo. I am thinking that to help solve this problem I should replace the stock buffer spring with something a bit softer.

Is this even an option? I looked on line for buffer springs and the only ones I can find appear to be tighter than the one I have.

Thanks

Last edited:
Make sure your carrier gas key is tight.
Also make sure the bolt carrier group is properly lubed.

Make sure the gas rings are properly staggered.

(Note... I've read that problems arising from improperly staggered gas rings is a myth, but I've never verified this myself).

There is plenty of reading on the wolf ammo issues. There are claims that the steel casings are a lighter load which could be causing the short stroke. Non scientific polls show complaints in the neighborhood of 20% of those shooting wolf, and others say it's great. Loose keys on the bolt carrier and too little headspace also mimic the the problem of too little gas, causing the bolt to short stroke.

Is your gun new? The Wolf 55 gr is somewhat lightly loaded and will not overcome the inherent friction in a new rifle. One solution is to only load your magazines half full.

Use the good stuff for now. Once the gun loosens up a bit, I'll bet it will function OK with the Wolf.

I have a buddy with the same problem of short stroking with some 62 gr. wolf ammo. Thought maybe it was dirty chamber, improper lubing, etc. He got it cleaned up and we inspected everything and lubed. Same problems. Switched magazines several times. Same problem.

He tried Prvi Partisan, my reloads, and some federal brass cased with no problem. I figured what the heck, try some 55gr wolf of mine. His gun digested that without issues all day. We ended up swapping my 55gr. for his 62. gr. Perhaps the 62gr. was underpowered to cycle his rifle rifle.

Back
Top Bottom