Repair of Pre-Ban mag

I came upon some pre-ban 30rd AK mags in pretty rough shape. I want to repair and refinish these, and in the process replace the followers with a US made one (I believe Tapco makes these) and maybe the floorplates. If I do this, can I still consider these "pre-ban"? I'm thinking Yes, as none of the laws refer to repairs, and I really can't consider maintenance as manufacturing. Anyway, it would be nice to have 922r covered (they may end-up in my saiga and it would be nice to have the additional parts count - thought obviouly not enough on their own.)

During the federal AWB, ATF decided that altering pre-ban mags did not constitute 'manufacturing' of new mags unless they were modified so that they cannot be used with the gun they were originally intended for. We can only hope that whatever ban state you live in (presumably MA?) would follow ATF's lead, and therefore repairing/refurbishing pre-ban mags would be legal.

Last edited:
During the federal AWB, ATF decided that altering pre-ban mags did not constitute 'manufacturing' of new mags unless they were modified so that they cannot be used with the gun they were originally intended for. We can only hope that whatever ban state you live in (presumably MA?) would follow ATF's lead, and therefore repairing/refurbishing pre-ban mags would be legal.

. . . but regrettably, unlike BATFE who has a "TECHNICAL Branch", there is no such equivalent in MA from which to get an Official response!

. . . but regrettably, unlike BATFE who has a "TECHNICAL Branch", there is no such equivalent in MA from which to get an Official response!

do you have a contact number for that. I have a dual residence question i would like to get an official answer to

You write them a letter to the Technical Branch and they respond in writing. The response has the power of law if there ever is a question about the issue.

If you go to the BATFE website, Firearms info you should find the address there. I don't have that info as I've never written them or dug further into it.

Back
Top Bottom