• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renewing your LTC

Hey folks,

so my LTC is up for renewal at the beginning of 2018. And when I say beginning I mean 01/01/2018 (New Years baby). When should I look to go through the renewal process? Should I go in November/December?

Thanks!

I would probably go in October. If possible find out from other people who have recently renewed and the licensing officer in your town what the time frame is for renewals where you're going to renew when it gets to be around August/September.

Call your town they have the best handle on the work load and renewal times.

My license was due to expire late last October I called late July the officer in charge of renewals said call back in September, it all worked out fine.

Remember, the crucial part legality wise is getting your application in before your expiration date; not getting the license back before the expiration date.

Last edited:
I would also agree to go in October if possible. You should be fine though. Even if you don't get the actual license back before the expiration day... if worse comes to worse, I heard there was a 90 day grace period, but someone would have to confirm that.

I'm in the same boat. Mine expires in May, but the twist is my home address is in Cambridge where I first applied. They gave me a restricted license. I recently bought a condo in Quincy that I will be moving to sometime this year. I want a unrestricted license, but I don't know if I'm allowed to apply in Quincy or if it has to be Cambridge unless I move to Quincy prior to renewing.

Last edited:
Yeah, check with the town. I live in a very green town (police give the firearms safety course free and advice to fill in the paperwork for a LTC, not FID). Still, it took over 3 months for my renewal.

Grace Period: so long as you apply before it expires AND you get a receipt from the police proving you applied, you can still use you expired LTC to own and carry. BUT, when you go to buy ammo or a gun you'll have an expired LTC and they probably won't sell to you.

I would do that 5-6 months early. MIRCS will process it that early, some PDs balk, but some also take 6 months to complete a renewal as it is a super-low priority for them.

My wife is up for renewal and got a notice from the state to apply early (4 months) as it takes time.

Filled out the stuff and brought it to the station where we were told come back when it's 2 months. Sat on the paperwork and resubmitted the week of the 18th. Last week on the 26th she went in for photos and to proof read.

Of course busting each others balls in the station was in order. [smile]

I renewed last year, my town would not let me submit my application until 2 months before and said I would have my renewal within 6 weeks. I didn't get my license until 2 months after it expired.

As early as your town is willing to accept it. That said, as a resident, if your town is willing to comply with the law and give you the receipt indicating that you submitted your renewal in a timely manner, then you're golden.

Yeah, check with the town. I live in a very green town (police give the firearms safety course free and advice to fill in the paperwork for a LTC, not FID). Still, it took over 3 months for my renewal.

Grace Period: so long as you apply before it expires AND you get a receipt from the police proving you applied, you can still use you expired LTC to own and carry. BUT, when you go to buy ammo or a gun you'll have an expired LTC and they probably won't sell to you.

Bring the receipt with you when you go to buy the restricted items and it'll work fine. The shop can do a LTC verification with the pin number to verify it's still active (before they run the NICS). Assuming it comes back fine, they can do the FA10. I did one this summer and it went fine.

The one thing about the receipt, it's the receipt from MIRCS after they submit your information. If they don't enter it into MIRCS in front of you, you get no grace period.

My license was due to expire late last October I called late July the officer in charge of renewals said call back in September, it all worked out fine.

Remember, the crucial part legality wise is getting your application in before your expiration date; not getting the license back before the expiration date.

actually it is having your application entered into MIRCS before expiration

Yeah I also receive the state notice to apply early. I expire in November and contacted the licensing officer to inquire in August. He said I was way too early and gave me a date in October. I ended up getting it submitted in late September and asked for the receipt. He relultantly gave me one, and I ended up not receiving my renewal until after expiration. As was said, low priority.
There was one silver lining result, my LTC renewal was issued Unrestricted (formerly Hunting / Target)

I never received a notice from the state about a renewal......this was my first renewal since getting licensed. It expires end of this month. I went for my renewal appt Nov 8 and got called today my license was ready for pick up

I would do that 5-6 months early. MIRCS will process it that early, some PDs balk, but some also take 6 months to complete a renewal as it is a super-low priority for them.

MIRCS will process whenever it is submitted. I did my last renewal 4 years early in a bid to get the restriction removed having moved to a new town. The PD didn't care and put it through but the original PD licensing officer was a douche about it. I wound up with a new license with an issue date of 4 years in the future, same day as the end date of my original license.

Bring the receipt with you when you go to buy the restricted items and it'll work fine. The shop can do a LTC verification with the pin number to verify it's still active (before they run the NICS). Assuming it comes back fine, they can do the FA10. I did one this summer and it went fine.

The key here is "can". I know of shops that will not sell you anything with the expired LTC and receipt. I'm working on one such shop now, giving them the law and CJIS documents proving that it is legal to do this, hoping they will change policy (which sounds like it is coming from non-MA corporate HQ).

The one thing about the receipt, it's the receipt from MIRCS after they submit your information. If they don't enter it into MIRCS in front of you, you get no grace period.

Not true, if they don't enter it in front of you MGL says that they are to Mail you a receipt within 7 days. I dropped mine off in a sealed/addressed envelope with the dispatcher and never got a receipt. Had a long conversation with our Deputy Chief (real good guy) today and hope to get this straightened out this week, at least for this town.

actually it is having your application entered into MIRCS before expiration

Bingo! This is the key.

My point was if you don't see them do it and get the receipt that day, you're unlikely to get one and lose the grace period, but you are correct, they can do it later (before your expiration) and mail you the receipt, but the typical PD isn't going to go through the effort unless they're forced to.

My point was if you don't see them do it and get the receipt that day, you're unlikely to get one and lose the grace period, but you are correct, they can do it later (before your expiration) and mail you the receipt, but the typical PD isn't going to go through the effort unless they're forced to.

Yeah it seems like a crapshoot at the moment of people either having no issues and getting a receipt handed to them or having to fight tooth and nail and sometimes be told "We don't do that".

Yeah I also receive the state notice to apply early. I expire in November and contacted the licensing officer to inquire in August. He said I was way too early and gave me a date in October. I ended up getting it submitted in late September and asked for the receipt. He relultantly gave me one, and I ended up not receiving my renewal until after expiration. As was said, low priority.
There was one silver lining result, my LTC renewal was issued Unrestricted (formerly Hunting / Target)
mine expired in november as well. i called the station in june to see what the backup time was and when would be a good time for an appointment for renewal. 12-15 weeks and the first available appointment was mid july, they recommended i renew asap so i took it. new ltc came in 5 weeks, about 3 weeks after that my state expiration notice came. the receipt was just handed to me, didn't have to ask. so, pretty easy and painless as far as i was concerned. in my city a civilian worker handles the processing of paper work.

My renewal is up for June and I received a reminder from the Commonwealth to get the application in ASAP. I will call and make an appointment this week.

crucial wrt carrying. But you're not buying any guns or ammo with the expired license.

OP and others who don't know -- if you get your new license before your old one expires, DO NOT destroy the old one! Note the 'activation' date, and you'll see the new one isn't yet valid. You wouldn't be able to buy guns or ammo with it, and *may* have issues carrying, too.

Chelsea was a breeze for renewal. This was my second renewal. The unrestricted license will expire in February. I contacted them in mid-December, got the renewal paperwork in before the first of the year, and had my photo done last week. Got a receipt that shows I renewed before the license expired and they said the new license would arrive in 3-4 weeks. Chelsea PD is doing it right, folks!

Sent from The Warlock Command Center

I got my notice in the mail yesterday, the earliest appointment, I could get was May 4th. My license expires towards the end of May.

Welcome to the club. Just get that MIRCS receipt before expiration and you'll be good for everything legally. Just don't expect gun shops to sell you anything once expired.

I'm in the same boat, dropped off applications and check back in September, signed MIRCS forms last Friday. Secretary says expect 1-2 months after signing before I'll see the LTC & MG license. Expiration is next month. Finally was given the receipts (dated last September) today, so I'm OK with it even though it is ridiculous that they do it this way.

No Grace Period for Non-Resident LTC

There is no grace period for non-resident LTC. The form letter that came with my renewal says: "There is no grace period after expiration."

There is no grace period for non-resident LTC. The form letter that came with my renewal says: "There is no grace period after expiration."

That is correct and something I am trying to get changed thru legislation.

This thread is about Resident LTCs, not NR LTCs which are indeed treated differently.

Back
Top Bottom