Renewing your LTC

Thanks

That is correct and something I am trying to get changed thru legislation.

This thread is about Resident LTCs, not NR LTCs which are indeed treated differently.

Dear Len-2A Training,

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't want to say anything beyond what I knew from the letter as I don't have any expertise in this legal matter.

Also, thanks for trying to get this changed, it would be a great help.

Dear Len-2A Training,

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't want to say anything beyond what I knew from the letter as I don't have any expertise in this legal matter.

Also, thanks for trying to get this changed, it would be a great help.

NR LTCs are issued under a different section of law, so those features (free at 70+ yo on renewal, 6 yrs, grace period) for a resident would have had to be added to the section of law for NR LTCs and never were. So you are stuck with annual renewal (at least they changed policy on annual interviews), $100/yr, no grace period, fee forever regardless of age. Hopefully the change in interview policy will result in shorter turn-around for renewals, but time will tell.

I hope to be a NR and thus have a vested interest in seeing some of these things change.

Hey folks,

so my LTC is up for renewal at the beginning of 2018. And when I say beginning I mean 01/01/2018 (New Years baby). When should I look to go through the renewal process? Should I go in November/December?

Thanks!

The unfortunate thing here is that it depends on what town you are applying in. I got the DCJIS notice yesterday and my license expires the beginning of April. I walked into my PD this morning and completed the renewal process. I'll updated when it comes in.

My town takes 4-6 months to process.

Every town is different and the state is NOT the issue.

I would try 4-6 months prior depending on how your town processes applications. If it is walk-in, 3 months should be plenty of time. If it is drop it off and wait for a call and interview, 5-6 months is wise.

Some PDs will refuse to take it more than x (another variable) months before. They all do as they like.

Politely insist on a MIRCS generated receipt as soon as you are processed or within a week of dropping it off (that's the law as of 1/1/2015). That receipt will cover you legally until you get your new one.

Call your town they have the best handle on the work load and renewal times.

My license was due to expire late last October I called late July the officer in charge of renewals said call back in September, it all worked out fine.

Remember, the crucial part legality wise is getting your application in before your expiration date; not getting the license back before the expiration date.

The department of criminal justice sends those renewal reminders out six month before your LTC expires, for all the good it does. Instead of sending them to us they should send them to our local police chiefs. When you try to renew too early, your local police department tells you to come back in a month or two. And when you follow their instruction they still make you wait weeks for an appointment. The last time I renewed my LTC they made me wait until mid April. Fortunately, I received my LTC several days before it expired in mid June. Guess what ? I just got my reminder from the DOJ, time to renew. Here we go again !!!! Any ideas on how to speed up the process ?

My LTC is up first week of March. Called town in December, Got appointment for yesterday. Went in and she said Licences were talking 8 - 10 weeks but renewals are much faster. Upgraded from Target and Hunting to Sporting [rolleyes]. Unrestricted still only for business owners :(.

My LTC is up first week of March. Called town in December, Got appointment for yesterday. Went in and she said Licences were talking 8 - 10 weeks but renewals are much faster. Upgraded from Target and Hunting to Sporting [rolleyes]. Unrestricted still only for business owners :(.

What advantanges does upgrading to Sporting give you?

Target and hunting, upgraded to sporting ? Isn't that really the same thing ? Hunting and shooting are both considered a sport. Where do they come up with this crap ?

Back
Top Bottom