• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renewing in boston or original town

I obtained a LTC in the town of Burlington (a green town) in 2014. I live in Boston now and had sent out the letters notifying via certified mail when I moved (both times moving into Boston and to a 2nd address in Boston, wow, 6 letters in total), and it will be renewal time for me next year. I am 5 months away from the expiry date.

I do have my MA driver's license with the Burlington address and I am unsure if it is "wrong" of me to apply for a renewal in the city of Burlington, as I expect the experience of LTC renewal in that town will be superior to the one should I do it in Boston... My parents still own the house with that address and I do stay there pretty much every other weekend. But they've sold the house there, it is under contract, closing is in January so I'm trying to get this errand done with prior to that stuff.

I even had a phone call with a Sergeant at BurlPD where I recommended my dad for his LTC application and he indicated that he could help look into what they could do to help do the renewal, so that seems very encouraging, I just don't know how stringent the residency requirements are or should be, and I'd like to keep things by the book, so to speak.

At any rate. Seeing topics like this: Moving to Boston with unrestricted LTC-A do give me peace of mind.

So what do y'all recommend I do? I should probably just give the sergeant a call back and state exactly what I just did above and I'm hoping that it should be a piece of cake.

renewal is in town of residence
if you're 5 months out from expiration, would call to get your appt with Boston PD
it can take a while
and you get to do the moon island "test"
one of many reasons why we left that wretched city
although moon island was first time i ever got to shoot a GP100...and loved it!

I obtained a LTC in the town of Burlington (a green town) in 2014. I live in Boston now and had sent out the letters notifying via certified mail when I moved (both times moving into Boston and to a 2nd address in Boston, wow, 6 letters in total), and it will be renewal time for me next year. I am 5 months away from the expiry date.

I do have my MA driver's license with the Burlington address and I am unsure if it is "wrong" of me to apply for a renewal in the city of Burlington, as I expect the experience of LTC renewal in that town will be superior to the one should I do it in Boston... My parents still own the house with that address and I do stay there pretty much every other weekend. But they've sold the house there, it is under contract, closing is in January so I'm trying to get this errand done with prior to that stuff.

I even had a phone call with a Sergeant at BurlPD where I recommended my dad for his LTC application and he indicated that he could help look into what they could do to help do the renewal, so that seems very encouraging, I just don't know how stringent the residency requirements are or should be, and I'd like to keep things by the book, so to speak.

At any rate. Seeing topics like this: Moving to Boston with unrestricted LTC-A do give me peace of mind.

So what do y'all recommend I do? I should probably just give the sergeant a call back and state exactly what I just did above and I'm hoping that it should be a piece of cake.

You admit in a pubic forum that you "live in Boston", but you're attempting to justify re-applying in Burlington because....

This is Massachusetts, a MAY ISSUE State, all I'll say is PSGWSP.

You admit in a pubic forum that you "live in Boston", but you're attempting to justify re-applying in Burlington because....
i think this is a very valid question. this sounds like it's the op's first ever renewal and he's maybe confused a bit on how to maintain the status quo. i'm sure many are wondering what's going to happen to their ltc's after a move. op, just do the right thing so nothing comes back to bite you later. you did after all send in a ton of move notification letters....

Renew in the town you live in.
Excellent advice. Don't try to game the system. Remember in this state they are looking for ANY excuse to deny or confiscate your license.

My understanding is that Boston doesn't tend to downgrade existing licenses.
Not necessarily true. It all depends on how Lt. Det. McDonough is feeling the day he reviews your application.

Alright... yeah. I’m glad I asked. The consensus is certainly that i can’t be too careful. Yes, first time renewal.

I had a recent renewal experience where I came from a town that issued an unrestricted LTC-A and needed to renew with Boston. They told me they do not restrict licenses that are currently unrestricted and being renewed. You will still have to do the Moon Island test. They did tell me quite frankly that they will absolutely not issue a new unrestricted LTC though. Hope this helps.

OP, there was another member recently that posted about renewing in Boston and I will have to renew in 2023 in Boston, assuming I dont move out first.

Please, when you renew, update this thread with times and any issues/ restrictions.

Time for appointment.
Are they giving you crap / demanding a new safety class?
Did they give you restrictions?

This is hilarious, is it a test? You don't live at the burlington address and that address isn't even owned by your family anymore! So when you fill out the LTC form that requires you to put the address where you reside, you'd be committing perjury by stating you live at the burlinton address when you don't. The letters that you sent when you moved would incriminate you and then you're going to be lucky if you just lose your license and not more. Once you lie about something in this process, you're done.

Back
Top Bottom