• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington UMC ammo question

I bought about 500 rounds or so a little while ago and when I shot it through my Stag AR15 I had I think 2 FTF's at least if I remember correctly out of maybe 100 or so rounds. They jammed in to the feedramp area and the bullet was pushed back in to the case. I'm not sure if it was the mags or what. I know I put 50 rounds of Armscor stuff through the same mags to test them out and that worked fine with no issues. I'm replacing the springs in the mags tonight so I think I will try them again soon and see if I have the same issues. If I do I don't think I will buy .223 UMC anymore.

I've tried the yellow boxed UMC in .223 and 30-30 and found both to be very underpowered and fairly dirty(not that I mind the dirty part so much).

I've shot it in 9mm and .40 Short and Weak ( buddies Glock ) and it fired. I will shoot it if it is the only stuff available. It's dirty and underpowered.
How did you arrive at these conclusions? Did you chronograph the loads, or are you judging by the felt recoil?

I've been using the 9mm with no issues.

Until this past week I've been always able to find it for 9 bucks a box or better. Prices are still going up despite commodity price drops. [sad]

How did you arrive at these conclusions? Did you chronograph the loads, or are you judging by the felt recoil?

I've experienced it in both felt recoil and the action of the...well...action. I ran a box of 9mm UMC through my IMI Uzi and they barely ejected - just enough power to move the bolt back - the casings were literally at my feet. I alternated between 25rd mags of the UMC and my WWB and it was as clear as day. The WWB would toss at about 3pm about 6 feet away. The UMC would drop at the same time, but directly below the gun. I read enough reports of jammed Uzi's not to run another box through. Oddly enough, I heard the same thing about UMC .223, (dirty, underpowered, prone to jamming AR's etc.). I bought some as a weak ammo test bed when I was having issues with Centurion and my Anvil M4 ate it for breakfast...The brass is nice too, if I ever get around to reloading it...[thinking]

I shoot it in my 1911 and it runs fine for me. Its is dirty, but not nearly as dirty as WWB. Since I suck at shooting, I can't comment on how accurate or inaccurate it is [laugh]

I'm not too happy to hear that the brass isn't good for reloading though. I have over 1500 pieces of UMC brass in my basement... [sad]

I often carry the UMC 357Sig JHP. I find it more accurate than Speer Gold Dot and seems to have a lot more "boom" to it. I never noticed it to be super dirty. I clean my guns after I shoot them anyhow.

I like the yellow box and the price...I just can never find it anywhere these days :(

And when I go in and say 'Can I have as many as you have in stock up to 10 boxes?' They usually ask me if I'm going to start a war.....

Each of the last 3 times I've visited the Walmart in Hudson, they had lots of the 250 pc UMC yellow value packs in 9 mm for around 19.9 cents per round.

I've been using a lot of the greenbox stuff in .45ACP for a while now. If buying by the case price at Dick's, it's best deal I've found in factory ammo thus far. No complaints thus far. A bit hotter than other 230gr hardball I've used, but other than that, it's no less dirty or accurate than anything from Federal American Eagle, Winchester, or CCI.

I just finished up a yellow pack 250 rnd. box of .40 S&W. in my M&P 40C.
Didnt have a single problem. The gun ate it right up and it seems to be accurate enough.
Im glad it works well, as I bought quite a bit of it in both .40 and 9mm when I drove to Michigan and back last summer, at good Michigan prices. [smile]
I dont reload, yet, so I havent saved the empties but cleaning didnt really seem to be any more difficult than any other ammo Ive used.

If it is so dirty, smoky and underpowered, do you think they are loading it with black powder?? [rofl]

Last edited:
Do they sell 250rnd packs anywhere in NE MA? How much $?

Is there a Dick's Sporting Goods near you? If so that is probably where you can find the bulk packs. The price on the ammo is high though. Personally I would rather buy another brand. You can probably get mil spec 5.56 much cheaper.

I picked a bunch up last year at Dicks when it went on sale. It runs through my AR in sten mags, Glock 17 and 19. It works in full auto UZI without a hickup.

If it goes bang when you pull the trigger .. it ain't bad [coffee]

I used some Remington UMC for the first time yesterday in my Glock 30 and I couldn't believe how filthy it was. I was just skipping through this thread and thought I'd put up a pic.

DSCF0413.jpg

DSCF0419.jpg

btw this is only 50 rounds and it's a lot worst in person. I'll still use it because it works fine but just thought I'd give my opinion as I've never had the front of anything I own ever look that dirty let alone with only 50 rounds.

That's been my experience as well....It's not as bad as the Wolf .45ACP I shot several years ago out of my Colt Defender. Not only did it gum up the gun, but it was textured filth...Looked like I had refinished the front of my gun with Rhino Liner... [grin]

I've shot 4 out of six boxes of this in .45 and it is definitely dirty. I typically shoot WWB and find that it is cleaner than UMC.

Wow. I've shot a hundred rounds or so at a time of 357Sig JHP UMC and didn't find it any dirtier than other ammo. My gun certainly never looked like that after a session.

I don't think it is any dirtier than WWB. I actually find the cheaper Blazer Brass to be cleaner in 9mm. I like the American Eagle better in 9mm but it does cost a little more.

Last edited:
I had never shot it in 9mm until last night. I usually buy the WWB value packs at Wally World but due to the 9mm drought at Walmart I picked up a few boxes of UMC at Dicks. I put 40 or so rounds through my M&P last night. The ammo performed well enough (I was shooting at plates and when I did my part, it did its part) but IMO it is significantly 'dirtier' then WWB. Not that big a deal, I just sprayed the gun down with solvent and started scrubbing but the carbon level was about twice what I'm used to for an equal amount of rounds fired.

I had a couple of FTF issues in my Bushmaster, but the rifle was a bit dirty, and so were the mags.

I just picked up 3 boxes in .45 ACP, I'll let you know how it works out for me this weekend in my SW1911.

i've shot UMC .45 and american eagle .45 out of my SW1911 and the UMC is much dirtier, only had one problem feeding... no other issues.

I posted at the start of this thread... but, I am a strong supporter of UMC. I've put thousands down the tube of my M&P, and just got another 1500 rds delivered yesterday.

Its a *little* dirtier than others, but not a big difference over WWB, from what I have seen. You have to clean it anyways, whats another 30 seconds?

If we're collecting personal experiences, I'll add mine from about 1000rds of UMC and WWB, and half as much with Blazer Brass.

WWB leaves more "chunky crap" where UMC leaves more fouling. Blazer Brass is cleaner than both, and in an indescribable way, seems to shoot "smoother" in my Sig P6.

That said, I've never had a failure to feed/fire in this gun, with any of the above three, nor Pow'rball.

$.02 contributed.

quick OT remington question that doesnt deserve its own thread...

i was at walmart a couple months back and saw 100 packs of remington JHP ammo for $23.95/box box was green and yellow....should have bought it while i was there but didnt, anyone know what this is? i havent been able to figure it out since. since i cant bring myself to spend crazy money on carry ammo i dont mind carrying the cheap JHP for now and i can also practice with them

I think it was posted earlier in this thread or perhaps a similar thread that there are several variations of the Remington UMC ammo, different quality for different prices.

I've only seen the mostly green with white gradient lines and black writing on them. $19.99 for 50 rounds of .45 acp.

45 grain 223 UMC yellow box.

I just bought 200 rounds of 45 gr UMC yellow box JHP at Bass Pro. I hope it will be good for 50-100 yards. This is the first time I've seen 45 gr in this caliber. Is this how they are trying to keep prices down?

Back
Top Bottom