• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington UMC ammo question

I use Remington UMC ammo in every gun I own, except my Ruger 10/22. Every time I tell someone I use remington UMC they scowl and comment with disgust that the ammo is junk and filthy. But that got me thinking, the stuff isn't cheap, maybe we are thinking of two different types of ammo?

I use
s7_216454_imageset_03

But I saw that these also say UMC

images

And also these

17782.jpg

I think the yellow boxes are steel cased? The kind I use shoot strait and produce consistent chrono results.
I ca'nt figure out what's the issue.

-James G.

I think the pistol brass isn't the best. They are pretty whimpy loads as well. Other than that I see no issues.

I got a couple of the yellow box in .223, if it's steel case then it must be brass-colored steel [grin].

Shoots fine and was cleaner than Wolf.

UMC is American made, all brass cased. It's the Remington equivalent of WWB. People automatically think the most expensive ammo is the best.

I like the yellow box and the price...I just can never find it anywhere these days :(

And when I go in and say 'Can I have as many as you have in stock up to 10 boxes?' They usually ask me if I'm going to start a war.....

I buy the UMC 9mm at Dicks. It's dirty, but not incredibly so. As WayneWong says, a few more minutes spent cleaning is no big deal.

Gary

I've tried the yellow boxed UMC in .223 and 30-30 and found both to be very underpowered and fairly dirty(not that I mind the dirty part so much). The brass is also soft.

It wouldn't be my first choice but I'd use it if it were my only choice.

I've tried the yellow boxed UMC in .223 and 30-30 and found both to be very underpowered and fairly dirty(not that I mind the dirty part so much). The brass is also soft.

It wouldn't be my first choice but I'd use it if it were my only choice.

I've shot it in 9mm and .40 Short and Weak ( buddies Glock ) and it fired. I will shoot it if it is the only stuff available. It's dirty and underpowered.

Joe R.

Doobie,

Framingham Walmart always has a bunch of UMC value packs in stock

BTW, I have found UMC .38s to be higher powered than my normal loads. Just my experience.

I haven't used it much in many years. Back when I did, I found it to be incredibly dirty. I got a powder buildup on the feed ramp very quickly. It was also very smoky. That was ~10 years ago, so it might be different now.

Works great in my bushmaster. I like it.

I was also given 120 rounds of UMC 30.06 150gr FMJ for my Garand, but I cannot use it without a Schuster or McCann device. I do not have one yet.

MrJ

www.mrjitters.net

Last edited:
I bought a case (two 500 round boxes) of the 9mm green boxed Remington UMC from Dick’s last year. I’ve found it to be just a little dirtier then WWB but more smoky. On a very clam day I actually had to stop shooting for a second to let the smoke clear before reengaging the targets during an IDPA classifier.

Because I had a couple of jams during a match this weekend I inspected my ammo and found I had a couple of rounds out of round. I’ve found that the case mouth on the UMC ammo is not crimped as much as the WWB and I’m wondering if these were contributing factors.

I don’t think I like the UMC ammo.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I've only used Remington/UMC in pistol calibers.

With that said, I'm not a huge fan.

Here are the problems I've had by caliber:

.32 ACP - Shot OK, but the brass was too thin (at the mouth) to reload. Not enough "neck" tension to hold the bullet.

.380 Auto - See above - exactly the same

38. Special - This brass is also thin at the mouth, but can be reloaded if you roll crimp it. I can tell without looking when I'm inserting a bullet into an RP case.

10mm - About 10% of the nickel-plated cases split upon firing after the first reload. I scrapped the ones that didn't.

If I buy factory-made ammo, I do so with the intention of reloading it. Therefore, I shy away from RP ammo.

Last edited:
I use UMC in my Glock 17 and 9mm AR-15 for target practice. The Glock has 0 problems and the AR doesn't like the last 2 rounds but I think it's due to weak spring in the old Uzi mags. Oh well .... time for new mags I guess.

BTW: Although I've found UMC .30 carbine in the past to be dirty, it always worked very well. Then again, all .30 carbine is dirty.

I use Remington UMC ammo in every gun I own, except my Ruger 10/22. Every time I tell someone I use remington UMC they scowl and comment with disgust that the ammo is junk and filthy. But that got me thinking, the stuff isn't cheap, maybe we are thinking of two different types of ammo?

I use
s7_216454_imageset_03

-James G.

The Remington UMC stuff you are shooting is filthy. Not as filthy as the CCI Blazer, but still pretty filthy. Hey,
it shoots, is cheap and available, and I own some in various calibers.

Last edited:
I've only used Remington/UMC in pistol calibers.

With that said, I'm not a huge fan.

Here are the problems I've had by caliber:

.32 ACP - Shot OK, but the brass was too thin (at the mouth) to reload. Not enough "neck" tension to hold the bullet.

.380 Auto - See above - exactly the same

38. Special - This brass is also thin at the mouth, but can be reloaded if you roll crimp it. I can tell without looking when I'm inserting a bullet into an RP case.

10mm - About 10% of the nickel-plated cases split upon firing after the first reload. I scrapped the ones that didn't.

If I buy factory-made ammo, I do so with the intention of reloading it. Therefore, I shy away from RP ammo.

It appears the we are the only one seeing these things. I also have seen issues with .45ACP with the neck tention issue. I'll reload it.. but I'm very careful with it.

Oh... and I'd take Win White Box over this ALL DAY LONG.

rem ammo

we had a lot of trouble with gov win white box 22s in pistols.worked fine in rifle.rem umc is probable not inspected as much as rem,so price is less.same with cci alum.
how do you determine POWER,you would have to check it with crony.
other wise make your own.instead of bitching about the ag screw him cast and load your own.I have for nigh on 69 yrs[smile]--[rofl]--[rolleyes]

[devil] I bought three and a half cases of UMC .30 carbine. Does that count as liking it?

I've got 5 cases of 250rds each sitting at home. And I intend to buy more as the Walmarts around here slowly stop restocking. I've put at least 1000 rounds of UMC though my 9mm and with zero FTF or no-feed issues. Its not 'that' dirty, definitely managable. I see no issues whatsoever, as long as you clean up afterwards.

Edit: I don't reload, so can't comment on that part.

I shoot UMC yellow box through my 9mm M&P, no issues. It's not any dirtier than Blazer or White Box, but it is a little smoky.

I carry .357Sig UMC JHP in my Sig P239. They are boomers and are accurate, never had a misfire. Gold Dots come in 2nd place.

i've shot this stuff in all the varieties in 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP.

the yellow box "value packs" and the regular "green box" stuff purchased at local gun shops, Dicks Sporting Goods and Bass Pro....

IMO - the yellow box "value" boxes of FMJ's are dirty!

However, they feed and perform just like Blazer CCI, Winchester (WWB), Independence, Remington, Federal (American Eagle) ect. ect. ect....

So I don't have an issue with this brand - if fact, it makes me think twice before I bring more than 2 guns to the range at a time.....

I have shot about 500 rounds threw my G17, not a single hick-up, I don't find it any dirtier than other ammo I shoot, other than s & b..... I have to clean the gun anyway, whats a little extra grit.... thats right, I shoot a Glock, so I don't worry about a little bit of dirt....

Back
Top Bottom