• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington R51

Remington has shitty owners that buckled under pressure from the anti gun lobby and the only reason they haven't sold is because they haven't yet gotten a good price. They've developed a poor reputation for quality and service under this venture capital ownership. That and they won't pull up stakes and leave NY despite their ultra oppressive gun laws.

No thanks.

They've developed a poor reputation for quality and service under this venture capital ownership.

Yea that's my take on it as well. Very poor fit and finish on their firearms. I purchased a slug barrel for my 11-87 brand new from Midway and the thing arrived pot marked with surface rust - still brand new in the packaging. The cantilever for the scope was also mounted to the barrel crooked... I intended to Duracoat the barrel so the finish issue wasn't as big a concern for me. I also squared the cantilever once I broke the bolts lose from their loctite and separated the cantilever from the barrel. Thankfully the epoxy they also used to hold it was sparingly applied! Mind you - NONE of this should have been necessary on a brand new barrel.

That's just my latest experience... I'll spare you the details about the failed trigger assembly in my 11-87 or the cracked receiver my 597 suffers from.

They said it's coming out in 9mm first and then 38 or 380 later.

From the article,

As far as calibers the R-51 is rated for 9MM+P ammo. A .40 caliber version will be next in the lineup.

I think this is intended for the emerging "want a gun for self defense, but not really a gunnie" market. In which case, a .380 would be a natural provided that the locking mechanism can be cycled by .380. Which it should since the original R-51 was made in .380 and .32.

They dehorned it, so there are no sharp edges to catch on anything. That would make it a natural as a pocket pistol. Remington took a similar approach to this as S&W did to the Shield. They brought in holster and laser manufacturers early enough in the development process that holsters and lasers are already in production and will available when the guns hit the stores. Good move.

I didn't see a mention of what the frame is made of, but at that price point, I'd have to guess polymer.

I wonder what they'll have to do to it to make it MA compliant? Trigger pull at the least.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll buy one in a minute.

But, not in .40 I'd guess.

This is a sweet looking firearm. If it is ever available in MA (or I move out), I'll buy one.

This is a handgun that you don't show your friends but you do show the bad guy,

Well let me restate that, "This is a handgun that you don't show your friends but you do show the bad guy, and then he laughs at you."

Not polymer according to the article.

No, aluminum according to a different article I read. That gives it points in my opinion, but I know others don't care. The preview models that were shot seem to be fine, but I'd like to see what the production guns are like.

They dehorned it, so there are no sharp edges to catch on anything. That would make it a natural as a pocket pistol. Remington took a similar approach to this as S&W did to the Shield. They brought in holster and laser manufacturers early enough in the development process that holsters and lasers are already in production and will available when the guns hit the stores. Good move.

I didn't see a mention of what the frame is made of, but at that price point, I'd have to guess polymer.

I wonder what they'll have to do to it to make it MA compliant? Trigger pull at the least.

- - - Updated - - -

But, not in .40 I'd guess.

I think they missed the mark in that it is really too big to be a pocket pistol:

Stats
Weight 20 oz
Width .96
Length 6 inches
Height 4.5 inches
Barrel length 3.4
Internal Hammer SA -

I think they missed the mark in that it is really too big to be a pocket pistol:

Stats
Weight 20 oz
Width .96
Length 6 inches
Height 4.5 inches
Barrel length 3.4
Internal Hammer SA -

How does it compare in size to an SR9 or M&P?

I think it is a great looking gun, but I would like to see that rear sight in person.

Those dimensions are almost identical to an M&P shield, which would make it a lot smaller than an SR9 or M&P full size and a lot thinner than an SR9C or M&P9C.

It looks confused to me.

if Prince carried a gun, I bet it would be this one. I wonder if they will come out with a variant that is encrusted with jewels and a gold finish.

does it shoot bullets or lasers?

This was never really intended to be a pocket pistol, it's something designed to poke at the LC9/Shield/PPS/etc. If it's thin enough it will do well.

-Mike

Stats
Weight 20 oz
Width .96
Length 6 inches
Height 4.5 inches
Barrel length 3.4
Internal Hammer SA -

Um, no. Look how small it is compared to a Walther PPS (about the smallest a 9mm can be and be shootable). And look how much lower the bore-axes is:

PPS-R51_zpsa259380d.jpg

You can't make a 9mm any smaller than this, be able to get a good grip on it, and have it last and not shoot itself apart.

What I want is a pistol the size of an HK P7 with the same benefits (good trigger and accurate) but 1/2 a lb lighter. HK could make a plastic-frame P7 but have not done so. This may be that pistol.

Do the same comparison to a PM9 or CM9. A good bit smaller and very shootable IMHO.

Both great guns, but neither are in the same price class as this gun is. This is more like Remington saying "Hey the LC9 was wicked popular, but a huge piece of shit, we can make something that occupies that market segment that probaby sucks WAY less, for about the same amount of money."

-Mike

Bud's has CM9's listed for sub $400, so pricewise they are in the same ball park. I think the PM/CM platforms have not been matched or beaten by anyone in the category. I believe they are the standard by which others should be measured. Sure the others sell lots of guns. Good to great guns at that. But if you talking about a true pocket pistol, Kahr has yet to be beat.

Back
Top Bottom