Relocation to MA with post ban assault weapons

After having searched the forums and asked many people, I am receiving vague and conflicting information.

Is it legal to possess a post ban, non-MA compliant configuration, assault rifle that was purchased while residing in a non ban state and is now relocated back to MA?

This firearm would not be grandfathered by virtue of any manufacture dates, but would have to be grandfathered by the relocation. I understand that applies to handguns but I'm trying to clarify if this also applies to assault rifles.

Any citations of laws or regulations would help and be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Nope. It's not legal.

Relocation only affects guns that you cannot buy (from a dealer) in MA such as Glocks, HK's, Colt's etc.
You can relocate into MA with them but you cannot buy them from dealers unless made before a certain date.

Unless you possess a pre-ban rifle you can't have those things.
Your hi-capacity mags must be pre-ban as well.

Why move to MA? Everyone else is trying to get out.

Last edited:
Is it legal to possess a post ban, non-MA compliant configuration, assault rifle that was purchased while residing in a non ban state and is now relocated back to MA?

This firearm would not be grandfathered by virtue of any manufacture dates,
Any citations of laws or regulations would help and be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Not without modification. You would need to make in ban compliant.

http://goal.org/Documents/law_faq_pdfs/awfacts.pdf

Last edited:
No go on the rifle and any high capacity mags that aren't preban.

Yes to handguns, which are not affected by the AWB! That's where most people get confused. You can move in to Mass with your non-Mass approved handguns. In fact we encourage it since you can sell them to Mass residents face-to-face once you get here. You still can't bring the handgun high capacity mags unless they're pre ban though.

I would be happy to store these for you, and use, clean and relube them periodically to make sure they remain in working condition. I won't even charge you. What a bargain!

As stated above, you will need to render your non-compliant AR compliant by modifying it accordingly (e.g., pin the stock, weld on something other than a flash suppressor to the barrel, etc.) so that it does not possess 2 or more evil features listed under the definition of "Assault weapon" in M.G.L. Ch. 140 Sec. 121 and 18 U.S.C. Sec. 921(a)(30). Or you will need to keep it out of MA.

We could start a debate on whether or not it is constitutional for the state to require you to abandon your property or modify it to comply and perhaps who should pay for the modifications. But that was not your question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom