Reloading Supplies Gots Any It Sucks out There

Nice find. $30/thousand.

Just an FYI. I'm 99% sure that rifle primers are taller than pistol primers. Its late I'll measure in the AM. But I'm pretty sure thats the case.

Large rifle are taller than large pistol. Small rifle are the same as small pistol. It's not uncommon to use small rifle primers for 9mm subgun ammo because the cups are harder.

Large rifle are taller than large pistol. Small rifle are the same as small pistol. It's not uncommon to use small rifle primers for 9mm subgun ammo because the cups are harder.

I've done it for the past ten+ years just to avoid having to change the primers in the tube and not have to worry about buying two different types of primers. I just bought all SR primers.

Has anyone had issue with handgun firing pins not igniting SR primers?

I have some guns with very light mainsprings that sometimes FTF even with Federal match pistol primers. (Obviously they're not my carry guns.) With that said, as long as you have a strong enough mainspring the SR primers should pop just fine.

Too bad. I'm in kindof the opposite boat.

I've got plenty of Federal small pistol primers. They work fine for my autos and allow me to tune for a lighter DA trigger on my revolvers.

But I'm running low on small rifle primers.

I think its a safe bet that it would be a bad idea to use the pistol primers when reloading .223. Especially federal with the AR15's floating firing pin.

Anyone want swap a couple of thousand small rifle for small pistol. They may even be match primers, I'll have to check.

Too bad. I'm in kindof the opposite boat.

I've got plenty of Federal small pistol primers. They work fine for my autos and allow me to tune for a lighter DA trigger on my revolvers.

But I'm running low on small rifle primers.

I think its a safe bet that it would be a bad idea to use the pistol primers when reloading .223. Especially federal with the AR15's floating firing pin.

Anyone want swap a couple of thousand small rifle for small pistol. They may even be match primers, I'll have to check.

Yes and yes. I have several thousand Wolf SRM on the shelf.

Ok. I just found a local supply of pistol powder in CT. . They have a quantity of 6 in stock of Alliant Promo 8 powder.

8 lb kegs.

It can be used in 12ga, 9mm, and .45. Even .38. Its not ideal, but its available and reasonably priced at $135 for 8 lbs. Look on the web. The only real complaints are that its a bit dirty. If it keeps you reloading at 13 cents a round, then who

I don't personally need it. But would be happy to pick some up for people. It needs to be easy for me. It also needs to be done in a way that does not put me in voilation of any fire laws. Which means I would drive up from CT and meet people directly at Mass Rifle.

So. If you have a LTC are willing to meet me next Monday night at Mass Rifle with cash in hand, I can help. Time will be about 8:00 pm.

If you can't meet all of these requirements, I can't sell this to you. I guess I should put this in the classifieds, but I just found this and am not really making much since I'll have to drive 75 mi round trip to pick it up.

I don't want any questions. It needs to be simple. PM me if you want one and can meet. Please include an email address in your reply. No questions about its suitability. Figure that out for yourselves. I don't use this powder. I know less than you do.

Don

Has anyone here has issues with breach face erosion when using small rifle primers in minor PF 9mm or 40 loads? I think it is common practice with 38 super, 9 major, and 40 major PF loads. I've read lots of bad things about SR primers and minor loads on Enos.

what types of bad things?

I can't imagine how the primer can cause breach face erosion. How does that happen?
There's got to be some truth to that. brianenos.com seems to have some of the best reloading info on the interwebs.

what types of bad things?

I can't imagine how the primer can cause breach face erosion. How does that happen?
There's got to be some truth to that. brianenos.com seems to have some of the best reloading info on the interwebs.

The idea that the thicker primer cup of a rifle primer doesn't seal completely at low (minor PF) pressures. The hot gas cuts the breach face over time. It's like flame cutting of the top strap on a k-frame with extensive magnum loads.

Here's a recent example thread: Breech Face erosion already - Open Pistols - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting.

I've only been reloading .223 for about 3 weeks and have noticed that the primers are much stiffer than pistol primers. I've used a bit more force than I thought I should have, on a couple of primers. I immediately pulled the case to inspect, expecting the primer to be deformed and its been perfect. I know that in a couple of cases (no pun intended) with the force I used, a pistol primer would have been deformed.

I don't know the specs or details, but like you said, the cup seems to be made much stiffer on SR primers.

Typical brianenos.com comment that's indicative of the level of expertise on that forum : This is only like my 7th or 8th open gun, just have never seen such a thing happen.
Its ONLY his 7th or 8th open gun. Ha. He considers himself uneducated at this point. He's probably forgotten more than most of us know.

Last edited:
Read post #25 in that thread. He was using the rifle primers with major pf loads only (which would probably seal regardless of the primer type). He also indicated that his gun had a timing problem which is the more likely culprit for the erosion. Too bad he didn't include any pictures of his fired brass.

That was one example. If you search there are lots of threads on breech face erosion. If I recall correctly Supoermoto used SRP on his modified gun (short barrel compensated 40 shooting major), but not on his minor loads for this reason.

So do some people prefer to use SRPs over pistol primers for major loads?

If so, why? I was thinking this was just exploring options given the shortage of pistol primers. You sound like its a preferred thing for some people.
I guess I learn something new every day.

So do some people prefer to use SRPs over pistol primers for major loads?

If so, why? I was thinking this was just exploring options given the shortage of pistol primers. You sound like its a preferred thing for some people.
I guess I learn something new every day.

there it is, I'm new to reloading and I only have experience with 9mm. But it is going fine, I have a healthy stock of SP primers but given the shortages why not check out the SR primer area in the LGS. The thing is for my 9mm I load towards the bottom of the range to get a lower power factor.

I have some SP Winchester Magnum primers, I tried a few on the chronie. did not seem to be too much difference between the SP magnum and the regular SP primers. I have not started reloading with those yet.

Back
Top Bottom