Reloading breakeven point?

I'm thinking of getting in to reloading but I'm curious as to how many rounds it takes to break even. In other words, after buying the equipment and supplies, how many rounds will I have to reload before the total cost of reloading is less than if I just bought the ammo? In .223 caliber?

With .223, I don't know if it's ever possible to "break even". It depends on what/how much you shoot and the market/availability of factory/surplus .223 ammo.

The reason I and many others load .223 is that what we want just simply isn't available commercially, and if it is, it's financially prohibitive.

lets say you into your reloading set up for 2K seems about the price for a dillon(progressive) and all the goodies if needed everything and bought it new. so for #s purpose
best price I have seen on middle of the road .223 375.00 case
so for 2k you can buy just over 5000 rounds, when its gone its gone.
Do not get into reloading for the sake of saveing money. As you will need to find time to clean and sort brass reload ect ect. working a few hours over time for ammo money is easier

I reload for shot gun trap shooting. At the high point in my shooting I was 7500rnd plus a year. now New child, wifes schedule change......if I have time to shoot im lucky.
I have tossed the idea of just getting a single stage to try and get some accurate rounds above the cheaper ammo I am shooting, especially in my 30 06 garand. I still have not taken the plunge on the loader and loader accessories

It's going to vary depending on the equipment you buy and the kind of ammo you are making, as well as the cost of the brass, etc... and whether you do
something like buy a powered case trimmer.

In the long run you will not "save" money because you will find that you end up buying the same dollar value in components. You will however, be able to shoot a LOT more for less money. [laugh]

IIRC someone around here has a nifty excel spreadsheet that you can type the variables in and it will tell you what your time to turn around is.

I didn't even look at any of that. I used the guideline of "Do I shoot more than 1000 rounds a year of X". And if I can answer yes, then I reload for it. It doesn't take very long to pay for it. Even the 9mm end of the setup has paid for itself at this point, and I've only made like 5000 rounds of that.

-Mike

As far as 'break even' goes, .223 is a bad caliber to use.

You can get a case of .223 for about $375, or two cases for $750. To reload your own, you'll need 2000 cases ($100 from MFL), about 8lbs of powder ($118 for A2230), 2000 primers ($56 for Wolf), and bullets ($150/2000 if you're lucky).

That adds up to $424/2000 ($212/1000) or $324 ($162/1000) if you have your own brass.

I think that $2K estimate is probably close for loading .223 in bulk.

You'll be saving (at best) $213/1000, so you're looking at a break even point of about 10K rounds.

The biggest 'bang for the buck' (pun intended) comes when you reload expensive pistol calibers like .500, .460, .38 Super, 10mm, and .44 Special.

My .02c

it depends on what equipment you buy, then how much do you shoot,

and what calibers do you shoot. if you shoot a large variety of calibers

but not much volume you'll find it expensive to relaod. if you shoot

say 3 calibers and a lot of them, the break even will be a lot shorter.

example, using 45acp, cost for 100 rounds is: $35 if you shoot 5000

rounds yearly the total would be $1750. You could buy a good press

and dies + some periperal equip. now you have to calulate what

each round cost to reload. the difference is the savings.

JimB

I have a excel file that I had made up a few years ago. You plug in all of your costs and It will give the cost per box of ammo made. I don't know how to attach it to this post. I will try to PM it to you.

My calculation for the popular pistol calibers (9/40/45 and the like) is that reloading components costs about half the factory ammo price if you use your own brass. Would the experienced reloaders agree with this? It seems like EC's numbers for 223 are similar. I'm guessing it gets even better for less popular calibers.

Ok guys, thanks for the info. It looks like it is not worth it for me to reload since I shoot less than 1K rounds per year.

Ok guys, thanks for the info. It looks like it is not worth it for me to reload since I shoot less than 1K rounds per year.

Unless, you need to shoot rounds that are not commercially available. I'm talking about heavy, long range loads.

You will never break even with reloading because there is always 1 more tool,gauge,etc that is needed.
Also if there are no components and powder available the equipment is worthless.
I love Reloading it is fun for me no matter what it costs.

I haven't done the calculations for 223 yet, but as an example
I just started reloading 40 S&W. I can reload 1000 rounds for about $200, purchasing once fired brass, FMJ rounds (Montana Gold), primers and powder. To purchase 1000 rounds (if you can find them) would be at least $350 dollars. So the savings would be $150/1000.
So you would be ahead 7-10,000 rounds. If you use lead projectiles and a cheaper powder (I am use VV320) you can save more.
For me reloading is as much a hobby in itself and very gratifying to shoot rounds I create as it is a cost savings.

I did a cost on .223 some time ago and it came out to about half of what I could buy it for.
When I think of all the time I put into making them I think if I were to put a value on my time
the cost would come out to around $10/bullet. [smile]

When I think of all the time I put into making them I think if I were to put a value on my time the cost would come out to around $10/bullet. [smile]

And if you had the time back, think what you could do with it...

Why, you could reload a ton of ammo :)

I thought about this at the pumpkin shoot. Looked at my bag, did some math, thought: "Wow, that's a lot of money I'm going to blow up today. Think of all the ammo that money would buy... Hey, it did!"[smile]

You will never break even with reloading because there is always 1 more tool,gauge,etc that is needed.
Also if there are no components and powder available the equipment is worthless.
I love Reloading it is fun for me no matter what it costs.

What he said. I'm at the point where .223 costs me $75/1000 and .45ACP costs me $35/1000, and I still haven't broke even with all the stuff I really NEED to have. If I kept it simple and didn't buy everything blue, Giraud trimmers, Star sizers, and custom bullet molds, dies, etc. I'd be way ahead of the game. However, these tools, toys, and trinkets call you and make you buy them.

????

one thing i have not seen, is you can build a round of your choosing,

vs factory loads. to me thats worth something. the other is that this is

a sport, what does breakeven have to do with it.

JimB

The deal maker that has been left out of the thread is he fact that you can always sell your reloading stuff at the end and recoup a major percentage of your investment. Used Dillon stuff is selling for near retail on ebay.

I have a buddy that makes beer. He has spent a fortune on the equipment. He could walk down the street and buy some find beer for just a few bucks.

I've spent a large amount of time and money on reloading. It will take a long time to recoup.

But sometimes the journey is the reward. My buddy gets a lot of personal satisfaction out of his beers. I get a lot of personal satisfaction from reloading.

Some things can't be measured in money.

FYI we are both at a stage in our lives where we have kids in college and both will soon be empty nesters. I have more time than I've had in years. And I'm having a great time with it all!

[smile]

Rich

Wait!

There are OTHER reasons to reload!!!!!!

• Lower ammo cost, over time.
  • It allows you to make ammo for when YOU want to use it, without having to worry about who has what on the shelf.
  • You can create custom rounds that you can't get anywhere else. Especially important if you are going on a serious hunting trip for big game. I dunno about you, but I'm NOT buying that ammo at Wally mart.
  • You can create MORE accurate loads, and loads which will cycle your gun better.
  • The tooling that you buy to reload one caliber can usually be used to reload other calibers as they come along in your collection of guns.
  • Most people shoot very little because the cost of ammo is high, or is scarce. Reloading will allow you to shoot more, and get better shooting!

I like to think of reloading as a way to shoot more rounds for the money that I am able to spend. Lets face it reloading does not save money, it allows us to shoot more.

I was talkign to Qmmo when I got some ammo off of him. He stated getting into reloading in order to save money is the wrong reason bc you wont unless you shoot thousands and thousands of rounds. (esp if you consider your time worth money) Like many of the previous posters said, they reload bc they want to custom tailor their ammo or bc it's a hobby they enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom