Reloading breakeven point?

It's all about quantity.

Here's (generally speaking) how to get better deals, and have stuff when you need it:

• Buy in bulk
  • Buy bullets in large qtys when you can get deals on them. Kind of like buying cases of toilet paper. You know you'll need it.
  • Buy powder in 4 pound and 8 pound containers instead of one pounders. And, buy it on sale. Buy as much as you can on sale. And, buy as much as you can to reduce the haz mat fee effect.
  • Buy primers on sale. Buy as much as you can on sale, and as many as you can afford to reduce the effect of the haz mat fee.
  • Nice to have a friend out of state that you can rely on for a shipping address (presuming you live in Mass). That eliminates the non_Mass shipping vendors.
  • Use powders that give you the most loads per pound. Why use something that requires 8 grains when you can use a different powder that only needs 5 grains of powder?
  • Plated bullets are a cost effective alternative to full metal jacket bullets, for most plinking needs.
  • There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with shooting cast lead bullets.

Duke, the biggest advantage ( besides money) to buy in bulk CONSISTANCY! when you buy bulk packaging, it's all from the same lot.
As far as cast bullets go, I'm pushing full house .357 and .44 loads with no leading and a clean barrel. Same goes for rifle loads, cast .30-'06 at 2700 fps, clean barrel. Lube choice is important. As for alloy, too hard can be as bad as too soft. Elmer developed the .44mag with a 16:1 alloy, that has a BNH of about 11. Correct sizing is key.
The only thing I don't completly agree with is basing powder selection on load. I use 2400 for mag pistol and some rifle. I could load 6 grains of red dot vs 14 grains of 2400, but the 2400 gives better results. Also some powders disagree with puff loads (w231).

I've mentioned this previously........

Go to a shop, and mention that you want to buy powder and primers in qty. Ask what they will do for you if you buy primers in case lot (5,000) and powder in case lot (four -4 pound containers). Offer to pay up front, and ask for their best price. I won't suggest that you do this with a shop in a non-sales tax state like NH, because I know that's not kosher. Avoid the shop owner telling you that they have no idea when the order would be filled. Tell them you are in no hurry, "just call me when it comes in."

You'll be pleased with what a deal you can sometimes get this way. And, the shipments can flow fast.

Alternatively, you can usually get on-line retailers to ship to a FFL with no issues, as long as the FFL is willing to accept your shipments. The better friends you are with an FFL, the easier this will go. I did a large order through a FFL a year ago, and got his pricing! Had to kick in a lunch and dinner tickets, but it saved me a ton! And, I got a years worth of supplies. About time to reorder.

Car pooling saves $$$, and so does order pooling for reloading supplies. The order that I alluded to above ended up being part of a PALLET LOAD shipment of parts. One hazmat fee split like 6 ways, and the shipping was via truck, so the overall cost of freight was less than all those FedEx shipment would have been. So, maybe a group buy will do ya on materials.

I know you can get primers cheaper than you paid. And, I know you can buy powder for MUCH cheaper than you paid.

Which leads us to bullets. Full metal jacket bullets are the most expensive, with the hollow points being a sub category higher cost version of same. The next least expensive are the plated bullets, made by companies like Berry's and Rainier. Berry's will ship direct (but not to Mass), while Rainier will only ship to their stocking retailers.

Then, there's cast bullets. Cast you can make yourself, and unless the AG places some kind of restriction on the resale of wheel weights for casting use, you can make as many as you want! Those are the cheapest!

The Mass people can have Berry's ship to a FFL, and you can get a heck of a deal buying direct.

Alternatively, if you have relatives that live in a FREE kind of state, then buy your materials and have them shipped there. Gives you an excuse to go see Uncle Fred and Aunt Mabel.

There are lots of ways to save on reloading supplies.

I kinda like Bob_J's approach to reloading: CHEAPEST WAY is best!!!!

Duke,

My recent batch of primers, Winchester brand, were $32 plus tax per thousand. That's about 3.4 cents each.

I bought 8000 9mm bullets, 115gr FMJ, for $600 shipped. These are very good quality, but not match quality, from a supplier that several friends have used with success for years. That's 7.5 cents per bullet.

Powder I paid $20/pound plus tax. At a load of about 6 grains (middle of the road for this powder), that works out to about 1.8 cents per cartridge.

Part of my problem is living in Massachusetts. Most suppliers will not ship here, so it is difficult to get the lowest online price available. And there are not too many dealers locally that stock reloading supplies. It is a drive no matter what I do.

If I found gunpowders in larger containers that saved money I'd buy them. Recently I've bought one pound containers 'cause that's all the local suppliers have had.

If you can point out ways to save money on the above I'd love to hear it! Even if it means a trip to Kittery once in a while I'm game. I prefer to buy in bulk anyway to avoid multiple trips or transactions.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

And even at these prices I'm saving about 50%, and loving every minute of reloading! I've already learned so much, and know there is so much more.

Best,

Rich

Back
Top Bottom