Reloading Bench Photos

Looking Good . . .

That’s a nice neat setup you have there jaypap. The elongated S&W street sign really caught my eye also, it sets the area off great. Did you have it made? None of my business, just wondering. [smile]

I got laid off from work yesterday, and my dad knew I was upset as I was planning on buying equipment to start reloading soon. So he stops over earlier with some bags and boxes from Kittery Trading Post. It was a Lee 50th anniversary breech lock kit, Richard Lee's modern reloading, RCBS 30-06 dies, Starret vernier calipers(not from KTP), 2 cartridge boxes, box of 100 Sierra 168gr target match BTHP, a pound of Accurate 2700, and 100 CCI primers. I had already built a small but rugged bench, so I got to setting up. I don't think I'm doing too bad for a newbee! Tell me what you think.
SANY0652.jpg

I will get my job back when I am cleared from light duty from my doctor. I hurt my back at work 7 months ago, and they simply ran out of stuff for me to do. I still get insurance checks. They are far from what I would normally make, but it's something. Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I will be back to work soon, I really need the money. Getting my pay cut in half sucks.
Kenny

Sweet!

Be sure to read the book (which I see in the picture) a few times, cover to cover. Including the sections on loads that you don't shoot. You'll find some gems of info tucked into those unused sections that might help with what you DO reload for.

Check, double check, and triple check everything before dumping in powder and bullets. Load five rounds, and then test fire them for gun function and cycling through the gun.

Let us know when you have made and tested your first rounds.

Here is what I started with.
mantown002-1.jpg

Here's where I am now.
Dead bolt on solid door.
15.jpg

Same bench as before, but it will be modified.
16.jpg

Yes the ammo cans are all full. [smile]
17.jpg

Nice set-up. I am jealous of your full ammo cans, that has got to be some serious amount of rounds! I hope you leave the door open when your loading, closed it would be like solitary confinement!
Kenny

We won't make any funny comments about you coming out of any closets....

It's nice that you have a space, cramped as it is, for making reloads.

I started off clamping a press to the kitchen table back in the early 70's. The new bride back then didn't understand, and I got nudged off into a small corner also.

As long as you keep the bench neat, clean, tidy, and organized, you won't make any mistakes.

Enough lighting is also an important consideration. That small lamp seems a bit on the understated side of the equation.

the lamp is temporary. for now enough light spills in from the door way. as btw, it's not solitary confinement, it peace and quiet.[smile]
In fact I did some redesign work on Sat.
bench002.jpg

My view from my chair.
bench003.jpg

I can even close and lock the door to hide from the family.[smile]
bench004.jpg

bench005.jpg

Last edited:
I have a solid wood 7 foot door covered in Formica that I want to use as a bench. What's the best height? It'll be used for reloading and "smithing".
Would 2X4s be OK for the legs and cross pieces? Would using drywall screws to hold it together be OK?

It's funny how these topics come back around. I've change a lot since last year. I put up a pair of walls and stretched my reloading area further back. Then obviously I painted everything and I bought an entire bench setup. I really like the new bench so I bought a 2nd one. I'm thinking of enclosing the wall I built all the way over and adding a 3rd bench but I haven't decided yet. Anyways, here is my new setup. I added a Dillon 550 to the mix as well so I have a 550, 650, and 1050 with K.I.S.S. bullet feeder.

DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

DSCN1521.jpg

DSCN1521.jpg

DSCN1523.jpg

THE FAMILY:

DSCN1528.jpg

Gun Cleaning Area:

DSCN1530.jpg

Enjoy,
Pete

I was proud of my gun area...then I saw pete's. That is gorgeous. Paint me green with envy my friend.

Jon J that would make a perfect bench top. I would make it as high as practical. I do all my reloading standing up and the presses are mounted about 48" off the floor, much easier on the back.2x4's are fine plywood the ends and back to enclose underneath and stiffen it all up, a tube of liquid nails for the joints will go a long way to keeping it strong for a long time. I am in Plymouth most weekends, I could stop buy and give you some pointers if you are interested. Good luck

PINK cabinets?????

No, White. The picture is taken with my cellphone, the room is lit with fluorescent lights, lots of them, hence the color discrepancy. Adjust your monitor as nessary. [smile][smile]

Also I had to "shrink" the photo's in PS7 and it turned it into a .gif, I think I lost alot in doing that.

My place, with two 550B's. One set up for large primers (Ginger) and one for small (Mary Ann). And a Lyman Single stage press for everything else.

ReloadingRoom.jpg

Last edited:
Jon J that would make a perfect bench top. I would make it as high as practical. I do all my reloading standing up and the presses are mounted about 48" off the floor, much easier on the back.2x4's are fine plywood the ends and back to enclose underneath and stiffen it all up, a tube of liquid nails for the joints will go a long way to keeping it strong for a long time. I am in Plymouth most weekends, I could stop buy and give you some pointers if you are interested. Good luck

Thanks for the offer but it went well. I built up the base this morning. I left a 3 inch overhang on the front for the presses.

Being right handed, where's the best place to mount both presses and the other stuff?

bench.jpg

Last edited:
Updated my setup a little bit the past couple weeks. I added some shelves and bins under the press and mounted a lee single stage with a hornandy cam-lock setup as a dedicated bullet puller. Amazing how a few shelves and bins can really add up to alot of storage. I was thinking of getting a stool. Anyone use one while reloading or does it make it uncomfortable reaching in front of you?
100_7303.jpg

100_7299.jpg

100_7300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom