Reloading Bench Designs

I bit the bullet... so to speak... and now I have my reloading setup in boxes on the floor in the basement... Anyone have design ideas for a bench to accomodate the Dillon 550B press, RCBS Power Pro Trimmer, BR30 Powder measure, and all the accoutrement... for reloading .223... I know the part about ' build it strong and heavy' but details would help... like height depth, etc.

I only found one design on the web so far...

Thanks.

Jon Frost

Want to start building/buying components this weekend if possible... I did find a site with a bunch of folks different setups... mostly for Dillon 650s... I was planning to build from lumber and lag to the wall for durability/strength/leverage... unless that much leverage isn't necessary.

Jon

I also have the 550B, but it's at a my buddies house because I don't have the room. It's just on a standard workbench and I don't have any problems with bench movement. But then, I'm loading all pistol ammo, so I don't know how it would work with taller brass.

I'm sure that someone on here would be able to tell us more.

But then, I'm not all that organized. I just have the press, brass on one side, and the heads on the other. I don't even use that thing that puts it up higher.

I do have the Roller Arm, Strong Mount (Elevates press about 8") and the bullet trays. I figured something about 4-6' long 20 - 30" deep and not certain about height at this point... til I set up the Press so everything clears the ceiling at 7' 4"...

Can't wait to get started, but want to do it right... the first time.

Jon

American Rifleman had plans for a home reloading bench a few years ago. I know I've got a copy around somewhere. If I can find them, I'll scan and post a copy.

Ken

Hubby built a "table" in my sewing room against one of the walls with shelves above it. Everything just got sort of put on it. There's no rhyme or reason to it, but it works.

Mailmanx said:
I bit the bullet... so to speak... and now I have my reloading setup in boxes on the floor in the basement... Anyone have design ideas for a bench to accomodate the Dillon 550B press, RCBS Power Pro Trimmer, BR30 Powder measure, and all the accoutrement... for reloading .223... I know the part about ' build it strong and heavy' but details would help... like height depth, etc.

I only found one design on the web so far...

Thanks.

Jon Frost

Try this link:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscelln.htm#bench

TBP

Bench

Sams Club had one in stock in their Seabrook location. It has a solid wooden top and looks stong enough for any size press.

[shock]

It's pretty simple to build your own. 4x4 (or larger) legs. 2x6 (or whatever) top with plywood over that for smoothness. Cross-brace the legs, add a shelf on bottom, bolt it or ram-set it to the wall. Customize it any way you want. They don't have to be fancy, just functional. Home Depot probably has simple workbench designs for the asking.

I'm in the building trades, so material for my projects is just a dumpster-dive away. PT 6x6's, 3/4" birch plywood, more 2x scraps than anybody can use. I'm waiting for a cracked granite countertop to be thrown away!

I don't think there is anything special about a reloading bench; any workbench that is 24-30 inches deep and 5-6 feet long should do. I built mine out of 2x6s and 4x4s about 20 years ago and it works just fine. I probably spend $10 for lumber and fasteners back then; today it would be three times as much, but still a bargain.

A couple of small points:

When I built the bench, I had an overhang of about 2-1/2 inches at the front. Since most presses tend to want to lever the top (particularly if it is a 2x6 board) up over the front rail, I filled in the overhang in the region of the press with a ripped length of dimensional lumber -- essentially a large glue block -- hogged out where necessary to pass the nut on the bottom of the Rockchucker handle.

Second, I'd recommend against either lagging or ram-setting the table to the wall. True, you need to keep it from trying to tip toward you when case forming, but it is sufficient to lag or shoot a 2x4 ledger into the wall under which the rear of the bench top will just fit. This way you can move the bench, if needed, without a lot of work. (What I did was to shoot two pieces of 2x4 vertically; onto them is mounted a piece of 3/4 plywood which serves as a mount for shelving and assorted tools. The butt ends of the risers act to keep the table from tipping.)

For tools that only need to be secured to the bench on occasion -- trimmers, auto primers, etc. -- I just drilled a couple of 5/16 holes to line up with the base of the device. These were then recessed with a Forstner bit the thickness of a 1/4 nut and washer. Now two bolts are inserted, head end down; mounting and dismounting the device takes only a couple of seconds, and they aren't in the way when you want to use the bench for other things.

Mine is a multipurpose bench, for tuning bikes, skis, guns, and other household items. Some good ideas here, thanks.

Here is RKG's bench and setup. Looks pretty damn nice!

bench.jpg

8x Unertyl lying on the bench?

Goods eyes (though you're showing your age).

This was given to me; was found in someone's effects after demise and the family had no interest. It is a bit rusty on the outside, and I'm trying to do something about that. Optics aren't great -- typical for its era -- but I may get around to mounting it on a M52 just to see what it does.

RKG said:
8x Unertyl lying on the bench?

Goods eyes (though you're showing your age).

This was given to me; was found in someone's effects after demise and the family had no interest. It is a bit rusty on the outside, and I'm trying to do something about that. Optics aren't great -- typical for its era -- but I may get around to mounting it on a M52 just to see what it does.

Well, Carlos had quite a bit of luck with it atop a Win. Model 70. If fact, he always said he preferred it over the newer Redfield that replaced it.

Careful!

Assuming his reference was to Gy.Sgt Hathcock, and not The Jackal, I'm of the same generation.

Back
Top Bottom