REI Stops Selling 50 NRA-Linked Brands

I used to buy a lot from REI. No much at all in recent years. You can get everything they carry from other online retailers and their prices are MSRP. There's really nothing that sets them apart anymore. Years ago they carried brands and outdoor gear that only a few specialty brick and mortar shops carried. Not any more. They should be striving to keep every last customer rather than alienating some, even if we are a small subset of the typical REI customer. I doubt their main base was complaining about them selling Vista products. Just like EMS they are dying.

Yep they had a big sale recently. went there looking for a new goretex raincoat. On their "bargain" rack...found one for $420. Some bargain! I was hoping for like $100 for a serviceable one.

I was also trying to buy a white mountains parking pass for my car. The sales guy never heard of them! Then some older sales lady chimed in..."we are trying to get some, but they do not want us selling them anymore". Jeez...what good are they really now? Bought the pass online, and it was here the next day in the mail

Last time i was in hiltons tent city it seemed still to be the good old store!

All these big corporations are run by a board of directors and are responsible to shareholders who only care about the bottom line, not social justice issues. The same thing is going to happen here as did with Target and Starbucks, as soon as their profits were negatively affected, the one responsible forthese decisions will get canned and the policies reversed.

While at Cabelas yesterday I was happy to see very well stocked shelves of NRA branded clothing and gear right in the middle of the store. Seen a number of people buying their tshirts as I walked by it.

The REI stores in this part of the country are for the glamping / get lost in the town forest types.

I distinctly remember them having an automatic donation to a charity of your choice that you could turn on that they'd donate to. Imagine if you could set that for your organization.

I just deactivated my REI membership after 28 years of membership.

But even more satisfying was finding that Comm2A is indeed listed as an Amazon Smile charity! I really wish I had known this sooner, like years ago. Spread the word and I bet they'll see a big uptick in contributions!

I just deactivated my REI membership after 28 years of membership.

But even more satisfying was finding that Comm2A is indeed listed as an Amazon Smile charity! I really wish I had known this sooner, like years ago. Spread the word and I bet they'll see a big uptick in contributions!
Use shop.comm2a.org and not Smile. Smile is 2% referral fee to Comm2A, the shop link is 5%+

If you're still doing business with amazon then you're not paying attention to who is trying to infringe on your rights

Yet they still sell a bunch of firearms related accessories and you can send a percentage to gun rights groups when you buy on their site. If I only did business with companies that supported my political views I’d have to move to a farm and make my own stuff. That device you’re posting here on, is it an Apple device? Android perhaps? Does it run a Microsoft OS?

I have been a member of REI for over 25 years. I emailed them and let them know on facebook that I will no longer be shopping there. And damn it! I needed a few things.

I understand that the SJW's are also protesting Amazon because they won't virtue signal on the gun issue by shutting off companies that support/make 2A related products. So the "counter protest" by 2A supporters is supposed to be to shop Amazon on Monday. I had already planned on getting my items from Amazon since I am now boycotting REI, along with Dick's and Walmart (and damn it! Sam's Club!) so I will do my shopping on Monday on Amazon.

Also, if you are boycotting a company, let them know and tell them why. Do the same for those you support.

During the past 20 years, I've made a list of 'movie stars' I refuse to watch in anything they do or buy anything they hawk. They are welcome to their opinion but when they denigrate the president or our country they've lost me. I've now begun a company list and have been sending replies of my displeasure with them, even if they are companies I used frequently like Enterprise. Fine, cut ties to the NRA. Do you think you will pick up NEW business from the ilk who, like you, dislike the 2a? Do you think it'll make up for the 10s of thousands who have just walked away from you like me? Good luck with that.

Yes, Amazon does in fact still sell some firearm related stuff.

Wrong on all other points

If you bothered to spend 5 mins looking there are lots of other options from companies that are not caving to the sjw's.....even on the phone front

You left out that you can donate a percentage of your purchase to gun rights groups by shopping on Amazon which IMO more than makes up for whatever their stand is on the issue of the day. I don’t have the time or inclination to do all my shopping exclusively from retailers who support all of my political opinions; I guarantee there are none that don’t piss me off on some issue or another and it would take well more than 5 minutes to figure it all out - I buy a lot of things. I’m also not going to forego using the more commonly available phone/operating system/connection services since again, they’re all sure to oppose one or more of my political views. I have stopped going to several retailers already and won’t go to Dicks or REI again but at some point I have to buy stuff without driving myself nuts over who (and who’s subsidiaries, partners, significant shareholders, etc.) do business with whom or what they each support. But hey, if you have it all figured out in five minutes, knock yourself out.

Last edited:
If you're still doing business with amazon then you're not paying attention to who is trying to infringe on your rights
You are absolutely right, but I'm also not going to not buy something seeing as nearly all my options for general shopping and technology are liberal bastions. All I was doing was pointing out the humor of the idea of comm2a or something of that nature being a donate program on amazon. Which I guess turns out it is which is a start.

Edit: that being said I cannot remember the last I shopped on amazon, but I know I'll be using those links if I do again.

Last edited:
Wow.....donate a couple %?

You think that outweighs the profits that Bezos makes to support violation of rights across the rest of his empire?

Wake up

You think you’re not spending significant money on products & services that are owned by people who are just as anti as Bezos?

Wake up.

Oh yeah, you can buy a butt ton of Vista products (Camelbacks, Bell, etc.) on Amazon, nott to mention all sorts of firearms accessories from other manufacturers (magpul, etc). If they don’t have a problem selling it there I’ll buy it there.

Last edited:
I was able to cancel membership using their email support link and politely requesting it with an explanation. 2 hours later, I got a reply:

Hello MYNAME,

Thanks for emailing the co-op, and your feedback regarding Vista Outdoor.

Please read REI's statement on our newsroom at REI statement on relationship with Vista Outdoor | REI Newsroom

We have discontinued your membership per your request.

Best,

REI Membership Services

www.rei.com
PO Box 1938, Sumner, WA 98390-0800
Phone: 800-426-4840
Fax: 253-891-2523
Click Here To Email REI.
Support Home Page

I was able to cancel membership using their email support link and politely requesting it with an explanation. 2 hours later, I got a reply:

Hello MYNAME,

Please read REI's statement on our newsroom at REI statement on relationship with Vista Outdoor | REI Newsroom

Best,

REI Membership Services

www.rei.com
Click Here To Email REI.
Support Home Page

They apparently didn't get the point....

There's an REI near me. I may drop in and browse the tee shirts for a while and looking puzzled.

When they ask what I'm looking for, comment that i was certain they had NRA swag last time i was in here.

Then walk out without buying anything when they explain they don't carry it anymore.

Hello MYNAME,

Best,

REI Membership Services

www.rei.com
Click Here To Email REI.
Support Home Page

I got the same reply and a refund for my membership.

64F869A7-8CB0-4162-BE7F-3CD93C1EE505.jpeg

I f***ing love this line.

"This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action."

Vista seems pretty clear in their plan of action. They're going to continue operating as a business, not respond to what amounts to a threat, and not make a useless statement or gesture that means less than dick all. Good for them.

I cant wait till REI figures out how many other products are in their stores that are used in the name of war. A marine i know was wearing a Suunto watch, which they sell, while lobbing 203 grenades into a village, better ban them.

This country is f***ed beyond repair right now.

Vista: a company which 65% or more of its holdings are involved in the firearm industry. Their plan of action: F@#k REI.

Back
Top Bottom