REI Stops Selling 50 NRA-Linked Brands

Cool......the published a list of companies I need to buy more from! Thanks rei

No matter: if they're dropping brands like CamelBak and Giro, they're DONE.

I forgot Giro is owned by Bell under the Vista umbrella, so other than Bern, REI won't have any major sport helmet manufacturers in their lineup anymore. That's going to be a major handicap in sales to not carry 90% of the products the average consumer walks the door looking to purchase. Figure in the other accessories and clothing lines and that's a major hit.

I despise REI because I ran a shitty e commerce website back in the late 90's and the a**h*** CEO wanted a site exactly like REI but didn't want to pay for the back end to run it right. Hundreds of lines of straight HTML, no JavaScript because he had webtrends that said he had visitors, not actual customers, visitors who ran IE or Netscape v. 2.0. ETC. Idiot. Thank God Apple hadn't come back from the dead yet, or else I would have had to make it compatible with that too. (We had 1 version of the site) Our site and server on the west coast, not mirrored, took forever to load on the east coast, so he also forced me to degrade pictures of the crap they sold down to low res jpegs or even 128 color gifs. I have flashbacks of cutting individual pixels out of images to get the total page sizes down to under 125k. So I hated that guy, and everything that he liked, like REI.

If they think they got 18,000 emails from real people, they need to look up the definition of "bots". The left relies on them.

Just called to cancel and it seems as if they're well aware that it's pissing people off. The rep totally agreed with me, and even went as far as to say that she had friends who were NRA members who felt the same way (if true, their call center is probably somewhere in free America)

The best way to get back at them is for people whom have purchased these brands within the last 30 days. Let them be flooded with merchandise that they can't return back to the manufacture. Good luck with that REI, those brands will tell you to pound sand.

Just deactivated as well. Member for 15 or so years but more than happy to take my business elsewhere and support organizations that support me. Thx to whoever it was that posted the phone number--under 5 minutes to accomplish all in

I could care less about Dick’s, REI, Walmart. I’m surprised Dick’s & REI are still in business, don’t go to either of them often but last time I was in them they were ghost towns, it’s just a matter of time before Amazon finishes them off. What will really suck is if Amazon starts shunning these companies although Amazon is a little more difficult to protest/disrupt since they don’t have retail locations.

REI, like most of the spandex-clad kayaking crowd, exists because their sporting choices are funded by the excise tax on firearms, plus a direct percentage of hunting and fishing licenses.

The best way to get back at them is for people whom have purchased these brands within the last 30 days. Let them be flooded with merchandise that they can't return back to the manufacture. Good luck with that REI, those brands will tell you to pound sand.
You’re evil and I love the idea!!!

I could care less about Dick’s, REI, Walmart. I’m surprised Dick’s & REI are still in business, don’t go to either of them often but last time I was in them they were ghost towns, it’s just a matter of time before Amazon finishes them off. What will really suck is if Amazon starts shunning these companies although Amazon is a little more difficult to protest/disrupt since they don’t have retail locations.
When I was buying 2 pair of Tubbs snowshoes REI and Amazon kept hitting the top at full MSRP. It wasn’t difficult to get 50 off one pair with free 2 pc poles and another pair at 100 off and poles at MSRP but at that discount it was a no brainer.

If Bezos pulls that, you know an alternative will emerge in seconds, a la Gilmore's "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."

Imagine the meltdown if people figure out that some Amazon purchases donate 1% or 2% to Comm2A?

Imagine the meltdown if people figure out that some Amazon purchases donate 1% or 2% to Comm2A?
I distinctly remember them having an automatic donation to a charity of your choice that you could turn on that they'd donate to. Imagine if you could set that for your organization.

Crap. i do a lot of business at the Reading REI.
guess i will have to shop online instead

Crap. i do a lot of business at the Reading REI.
guess i will have to shop online instead

I used to buy a lot from REI. No much at all in recent years. You can get everything they carry from other online retailers and their prices are MSRP. There's really nothing that sets them apart anymore. Years ago they carried brands and outdoor gear that only a few specialty brick and mortar shops carried. Not any more. They should be striving to keep every last customer rather than alienating some, even if we are a small subset of the typical REI customer. I doubt their main base was complaining about them selling Vista products. Just like EMS they are dying.

Back
Top Bottom