REI Stops Selling 50 NRA-Linked Brands

maxresdefault.jpg

REI announced Thursday evening it would halt orders of products from Vista Outdoors, whose brands include CamelBak (maker of popular water bottles), Bell (known for its bicycle helmets), and Giro (a ski goggle manufacturer).

These are major brands for outdoors. Dumb. People will still buy their CamelBaks and Giro gloves/helmets/... (and these are what I use), they'll just do so elsewhere.

These are major brands for outdoors. Dumb. People will still buy their CamelBaks and Giro gloves/helmets/... (and these are what I use), they'll just do so elsewhere.

Yeah, that's just stupid. Just because it's a company that's owned by another company that owns a third company that makes guns. Oh well. Does CamelBak have an online store?

B...B...B....B...But it feeeeels good.
I'm sure the gang bangers over in Chicago are scrambling to find a new place to pick up their gear.

B...B...B....B...But it feeeeels good.
I'm sure the gang bangers over in Chicago are scrambling to find a new place to pick up their gear.

Yeah, we all know Chicago needs those camelbak to ensure they maintain water supplies. Especially supplies that aren't from Lake Michigan otherwise they might get their daily dose of chromium and other pollutants.

Ha! Just before I clicked the link article, I was about to say that Camelback, Giro, and Blackburn are owned by the same company that owns several ammo companies.

By the way, Vista Outdoors is awesome to deal with. They replaced my 10+ year old Blackburn Fluid trainer with a newer model free of charge under warranty, no questions asked.

So REI has made it onto my 'ban' list. Not that I've gone there much (once or twice IIRC in about 15 years) but now there's no way I'll go in there. They got pissy because Vista didn't say anything after the Feb 17 event. :confused: IMO, Vista did the right thing, and REI is being a little bitch about them not supporting banning gunz over the actions of an evil person.

So REI has made it onto my 'ban' list. Not that I've gone there much (once or twice IIRC in about 15 years) but now there's no way I'll go in there. They got pissy because Vista didn't say anything after the Feb 17 event. :confused: IMO, Vista did the right thing, and REI is being a little bitch about them not supporting banning gunz over the actions of an evil person.

The way I read it is that some SJW started a petition. Let's just see how they feel about the backlash from their virtue signaling.

im wondering how much of this is just based on the actual money made by NRA products for them or any company and is it a chance for companies to bail out of deals with the NRA.

How big is this "us VS them" thing going to get?

Apparently bigger than I would have imagined. I'm actually a little surprised that REI took this step.

Though many of the REI granola-munching customers are probably anti types, they would have had many who are not SJW's and are 2A friendly. My kids were in Scouts all the way to Eagle and one is still involved with leadership, so we purchased, wore out, and repurchased a lot of gear over the years. They, their peers, and most if not all of the other adults were REI customers and interested in shooting sports and/or hunting. I won't be the only one from this group that will cease to shop at REI due to their SJW pandering.

So on the positive side, props to Vista. My next purchase is likely to be a PRS worthy rifle, and now I'm leaning a little more towards Savage, one of the Vista brands.

They absolutely did the right thing. Unless politics is your business, mixing business and politics is a Very Bad Idea. Methinks REI is about to discover this.

I was last in a store a few weeks back, for trekking poles. The place wasn't exactly crowded.

Incidentally, of those 18000 supposed petition signatures, how many are REI members (it's a co-op)?

Unfortunately, it's this sort of thing that actually has an impact. People vote with their dollar. If REI is a big part of their business, they will weigh what value is of REI versus their gun related products and make a choice on either to dump the gun brands or accept losing REI.
If they get enough push one way or another, that's the way they'll go.
Maybe REI isn't enough.. But they might get there if enough retailers take the same step

It all comes down to a math problem

Unlike Dicks, REI's move isn't fuddism or just anti NRA, it is straight up anti 2A. Vista Outdoors includes CCI, Speer, Federal, Blazer, Estate, Savage, Stevens, American Eagle, and several other shooting sport brands.

In addition to those produces, I use many of Vista Outdoors brands in other sports. In cycling, I have used Blackburn tire pumps and trainers for years. Every helmet I own is a Giro (just bought a Giro Synthe yesterday). Camelback Podiums are by far the best water bottles I have ever used. I will gladly support all Vista brands at other retail locations.

Camelbak wasn’t very helpful when I tried to have a backpack replaced when it ripped the first day out. I wasn’t going to buy their stuff anymore, but I’ll bring them back into the loop.

REI was responding to gun prohibitionist pressure groups. They don't want crying teens disparaging them on social media or marching in front of their stores, which would impact their bottom line. If the civilian disarmament lobby is willing to go after Bell (helmets) over its parent company not issuing a statement in support of "common sense solutions" (gun prohibition), it should be clear corporations may well be beginning to abandon all vestiges of gun ownership like rats from a sinking ship.

Camelbak wasn’t very helpful when I tried to have a backpack replaced when it ripped the first day out. I wasn’t going to buy their stuff anymore, but I’ll bring them back into the loop.
I wouldn't bring them back in the loop for that.

But a Giro helmet saved my life, so I continue to wear them.

Back
Top Bottom