registering llc

Anyone set up a small business recently and done the paperwork for an LLC? Wondering what the cost and complexity is on this.
Ive been doing small time car and motorcycle repair for awhile and it would be nice to have for that, but the big thing is the CCW.

What do you need to know?

Before you spend the time and money on setting up an LLC, define what your expectations are. If you are the same guy that's turning a wrench and signing checks the LLC will provide little if any debt or tort protection. Instead of complicating things with an LLC, spend extra money on insurance.

Ive been doing without the LLC all these years I dont -need- it.. but apparently in Boston its one of the few ways to get BPD to put 'CCW' on your LTC card. Thats my primary concern. To be able to carry when Im carrying cash and expensive parts. Havent had need of that yet, thankfully. But some of the places I go arent very friendly.

That’s an interesting situation. I can’t remember the exact place but if you Google it there’s websites that generate it. Like $500? I forget what it cost each year though.
They’re pretty much worthless except under a few circumstances. I never would’ve thought an LTC would have anything to do with it. Good luck

Edit. Wait put CCW on your LTC? I’m not from Boston so maybe I don’t understand. Your LTC is an LTC. License to carry. You can open carry or concealed carry with that, state wide

yeah, you cant get the CCW here unless you are working in some situation that requires security or money transport and you can prove that employment. From what I understand anyhow.
Im stuck here until my family situation changes which will probably be in the next 5 to 10 years.

yeah, you cant get the CCW here unless you are working in some situation that requires security or money transport and you can prove that employment. From what I understand anyhow.
Im stuck here until my family situation changes which will probably be in the next 5 to 10 years.
What do you have for a fire arm license now? Reason I ask is you seem to have a misunderstanding of how it works. If you have an LTC in mass and nothing is "written on it" you can carry a handgun concealed right now. If the issuing officer doesn't want you to carry a fire arm on your person they will restrict you by putting "target and hunting" on the license or some type or wording like that.

You seem to have it ass backwards.

in Boston you get an LTC with restrictions no matter what. target and hunt, thats it.
to remove the restrictions you have to show cause. Its unfortunate and its unconstitutional, but it is what it is at the moment.

setting up a business sounds like a lot of trouble. i don't think you can just say "hey look, i'm a business", i'm gonna think you need to get a business license and a mass tax id number (i forget what that's called) for your new engine business. to get a business license, your location needs to be zoned for business. i may be wrong, but i don't think this is going to be that easy. i think the licensing person is going to want evidence of your ton 'o cash generating business just cause it's boston and they hear that 100's of times a month.

Just the filing fee for setting up an llc is $500, then every year the annual report is $500. Plus, you then have to file a tax return for it every year. Try presenting a dba certificate first. $50 for a cert good for 4 yrs. Simple to fill in. Do it at the City Clerk.

setting up a business sounds like a lot of trouble. i don't think you can just say "hey look, i'm a business", i'm gonna think you need to get a business license and a mass tax id number (i forget what that's called) for your new engine business. to get a business license, your location needs to be zoned for business. i may be wrong, but i don't think this is going to be that easy. i think the licensing person is going to want evidence of your ton 'o cash generating business just cause it's boston and they hear that 100's of times a month.
It was a few years ago but a student of mine went thru the process in Boston. He and his Wife own a legit business in a suburban town (that didn't like giving out unrestricted LTCs), so they opted for Boston. They were required to show corporation papers with both names on it, bank statements and cash deposit receipts to prove their claim of making large cash deposits regularly, of course they already had the business license and tax ID.

MA DOR if they issue a tax ID will expect corporate tax returns and MA Sec. of State requires annual filings and fees. I'd think very carefully about going this route before jumping on it.

We have an LLC or two, as said you need to pay the $500 filing fee and then it’s $92/year to the MA certificate services to pay the Secretary of State. If you have a single member LLC it is considered a pass through entity and filed on your standard tax return. If it is a multi member LLC or partnership you then need to file a separate tax return.

Just remember if you go this route you will also have an EIN from the IRS and it will become very important you don’t co mingle funds and keep the business assets and your personal assets separate. It does make things complex but for me it’s a piece of mind.

Others here have said you can get an unrestricted LTC in Boston if you become a certified instructor. Not sure on the costs of that but I can’t imagine it’s more than setting up a LLC

See this thread:
Dude, really, just become an instructor - it'll cost you around $200 and a couple of days of fun learning material and Boston will hand you an unrestricted LTC without issue.
Or this:
Actually not quite accurate. I got a restricted LTC in 2017, got trained & certified as a firearms instructor in 2019 and Lt. Det. McDonough very nicely re-issued my LTC with no restrictions.
OP: If you have a cash business or are responsible for handling lots of cash (restaurant, real estate, convenience store, etc.) you may be able to get an unrestricted license from the start. Another way is to get trained & certified as a firearms instructor.
Also, remember that Boston requires you to pass a shooting test at their range at Moon Island. The test uses a BPD-supplied 6-shot .357 revolver with a 4" barrel. If you are not familiar with that type of gun you might want to consider training for the test as you wait for your appointment,
Good luck!

Anyone set up a small business recently and done the paperwork for an LLC? Wondering what the cost and complexity is on this.
Ive been doing small time car and motorcycle repair for awhile and it would be nice to have for that, but the big thing is the CCW.

SCOTUS will be deciding this case by the end of June. With the current make up of the court and how oral arguments went, it’s probable that the NY license scheme is found unconstitutional. Boston and other red towns/cities won’t willingly change overnight but that decision is certainly going to be a stick to get them to change.

I’d wait and see what SCOTUS delivers then approach Boston again. If they still deny you, talk to Comm2A and sue the bastards.

I forget the cost to set it up, but its $500 a year for the "annual report" fee

Just the filing fee for setting up an llc is $500, then every year the annual report is $500. Plus, you then have to file a tax return for it every year. Try presenting a dba certificate first. $50 for a cert good for 4 yrs. Simple to fill in. Do it at the City Clerk.
i file tax returns jointly with my wife, and the llc is treated as a disregarded business. I do have a LLC tax id number, but primarily just for when someone asks for it....the actual taxes are just on our two social security numbers

what does the $500 fee get you yearly? You get put on galvin's MA CORPORATIONS data base list. So if a lawyer looks you up, they see you are on the list, and therefore a bonafide corporation.

If you intend to do any real estate business with the LLC (there are some tax benefits) make sure your anual report lists realestate transactions too, and lists you as the person authorized to sign for real estate transactions

Maybe if I had other stuff going on it would be worthwhile. but my taxes are really uncomplicated and all I would gain is the removal of restrictions.
EDIT: the info from Len-2A above is the clincher. boston wants a lot more than a simple filing for the 'privilege' of CCW in the city.

Maybe if I had other stuff going on it would be worthwhile. but my taxes are really uncomplicated and all I would gain is the removal of restrictions.
EDIT: the info from Len-2A above is the clincher. boston wants a lot more than a simple filing for the 'privilege' of CCW in the city.
So pay a couple hundred bucks one time and become a certified firearms instructor. You don’t need an instructing business etc. I don’t know if there’s annual fees to be a firearms instructor.

So pay a couple hundred bucks one time and become a certified firearms instructor. You don’t need an instructing business etc. I don’t know if there’s annual fees to be a firearms instructor.
Not sure if that falls under BPD's critera for the CCW.. maybe Len-2A or someone else that does training would know?
I was already thinking of getting the certification for doing basic safety instruction.

Do a DBA it is easy not a lot of strings attached, and you are considered a business
Not really. Considered a business by whom, the secretary of states office? Not in the manner of being a business that the OP was asking about.

This seems like my answer everything lately.. Instead of filing for LLC. Why don’t you just sue Boston?

I can come to Boston with whatever I want… It’s sad you live there and you don’t have the same rights as I do. They aren’t really rights by the way..

What Boston is doing to you is illegal understate state law. So people who own a business have more rights than your average dirt bags? It’s a trick question I know the answer

There are other workarounds for this. But I won’t get into them in an open forum

I know its bogus, all of it. The fact you are needing a permit in the first place. And there are tons of legal arguments you could use against the restrictions including the one you just made.
Its crazy to put restrictions on people that go through such a rigorous permitting process in the first place.
If you consider the real aim of most of the firearms law on the books is to handicap the law-abiding and to justify further government encroachment, it makes perfect sense.

Back
Top Bottom