• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Registering a new trailer in Ma.

Echo 225

NES Member
Brand new utility trailer (5x10 ) for the house, Title in hand plus all the paper work from seller. Walk into RMV (Mass) took 5 seconds and was told I need an insurance stamp. Ok call agent and she says no stamp needed and no insurance needed for the trailer to get a plate the motor vehicle towing the trailer would expand to trailer if needed for liability or I can buy more insurance if I wanted but not needed to register in line again to explain and all I heard was stamp needed NEXT!!!! Although I was extremely happy to hear perfect English being spoken (heheheh )Anyone been thru this or have an answer?

I have a 5x10 open trailer which I bought new in 2018. I just looked at my paperwork. I had to get the trailer stamped by my insurance (RMV-1). My trailer is 2990 lbs. GVW. My insurance is Geico. They said my car insurance covers the trailer because it's under 3000 lbs. If it was over 3000 lbs, I would have had to get a separate insurance policy just for the trailer.

No insurance stamp needed for trailers under 3k lbs, as stated above. ⬆️
I've had the same 25+ yrs old trailer and never needed a stamp. Everything changes over 3k lbs; inspections and stamps and such. Good luck.

I never registered a trailer in MA for about 25 years but I did own trailers registered in Maine. I was always on the two year registration locally at town hall.

A ten year plate is available.

Brand new utility trailer (5x10 ) for the house, Title in hand plus all the paper work from seller. Walk into RMV (Mass) took 5 seconds and was told I need an insurance stamp. Ok call agent and she says no stamp needed and no insurance needed for the trailer to get a plate the motor vehicle towing the trailer would expand to trailer if needed for liability or I can buy more insurance if I wanted but not needed to register in line again to explain and all I heard was stamp needed NEXT!!!! Although I was extremely happy to hear perfect English being spoken (heheheh )Anyone been thru this or have an answer?

Stamp is needed, the agent is wrong about that.

If you don't want physical damage coverage for the trailer then it doesn't need to be added to your insurance policy since liability coverage would be provided from the vehicle that's towing the trailer. In order to register the vehicle the RTA needs to be stamped though.

No insurance stamp needed for trailers under 3k lbs, as stated above. ⬆️
I've had the same 25+ yrs old trailer and never needed a stamp. Everything changes over 3k lbs; inspections and stamps and such. Good luck.

That's not correct, an insurance stamp is required to register a trailer in MA regardless of the weight. A Title is not needed if under 3K lbs GWV, stamp still is. Stamps are generally not needed on trailer reg renewals, but to register the first time it's needed

My insurance company (USAA) was perfectly happy to give me a stamp for my trailer at zero cost.
Ummm, no insurance company anywhere charges for a stamp. For insurance, yes, but not for a stamp. If he's not putting Collision/Comprehensive on the trailer a stamp is required but it's not required to be added to the policy since liability is provided by the vehicle towing the trailer.

Ummm, no insurance company anywhere charges for a stamp. For insurance, yes, but not for a stamp. If he's not putting Collision/Comprehensive on the trailer a stamp is required but it's not required to be added to the policy since liability is provided by the vehicle towing the trailer.

Fine.

My insurance company (USAA) was perfectly happy to give me a stamp for my trailer at zero additional cost to my premium.

Happy?

I thought that was the obvious meaning.

Fine.

My insurance company (USAA) was perfectly happy to give me a stamp for my trailer at zero additional cost to my premium.

Happy?

I thought that was the obvious meaning.

It wasn't as obvious as you intended it to be, it sounded like you were happy they didn't charge for the stamp. In terms of your premium, there's no charge for a trailer unless you put collision/comprehensive coverage on it. That's the same everywhere.

1000 lb Tractor supply trailer, insured
8000 lb Cam Equipment trailer, insured

as above, maybe there's a rule for really small trailers?

1000 lb Tractor supply trailer, insured
8000 lb Cam Equipment trailer, insured

as above, maybe there's a rule for really small trailers?

Trailer GVW determines whether a title is needed in MA. On a private passenger auto policy, it's generally whether you buy physical damage coverage for the trailer that determines whether it's added to the policy or not. Most smaller trailers are not added to the policy since most people don't put collision/comp on them. Someone mentioned Geico having different rules for trailers up to 3k and over 3k, I don't know how Geico does it or if that's correct. My experience w/ the national carriers/direct writers is that they're not always familiar w/ MA insurance and they can give incorrect/confusing info sometimes.

Trailer GVW determines whether a title is needed in MA. On a private passenger auto policy, it's generally whether you buy physical damage coverage for the trailer that determines whether it's added to the policy or not. Most smaller trailers are not added to the policy since most people don't put collision/comp on them. Someone mentioned Geico having different rules for trailers up to 3k and over 3k, I don't know how Geico does it or if that's correct. My experience w/ the national carriers/direct writers is that they're not always familiar w/ MA insurance and they can give incorrect/confusing info sometimes.
Under 3000 lbs. GVW exempt from title requirement.
A Certificate of Title for a motor vehicle is a legal document issued by a state to certify the vehicle's ownership. The Massachusetts title law requires that all motor vehicles and trailers be titled within 10 days of purchase. Passenger vehicles with a model year of 1980 and older, purchased before November 26, 1990 are exempt from titling. Trailers that are 3,000 pounds or less are also exempt and do not need a title.

Stamp is needed to prove that the tow vehicle is insured. That way there is proof that when the trailer is connected to to tow vehicle it has liability Ins. Just get your agent to stamp it. It is that simple, just get it stamped.
And next time let your insurance co do the leg work!

How do you go about getting your commercial business trailer registered through Maine? 8.5’x24’ over 10,000 GVW. Asking for a friend of course 👀
You go to that website and register it? There are a LOT of commercial trailers registered in Maine from companies not based in Maine.

Under 3000 lbs. GVW exempt from title requirement.

Thanks, I'm aware of all of that. The trailer needing a title or not doesn't change the RMV stamp requirement nor whether the trailer needs to be added to the insurance policy. A stamp is needed to register a trailer regardless of GVW. Whether it's added to the private passenger auto insurance policy in MA is dependent on whether you choose to buy Collision/Comprehensive coverages.

You go to that website and register it? There are a LOT of commercial trailers registered in Maine from companies not based in Maine.
Commercial trailers running interstate is a lot different than a mass resident with mass insurance pulling a Maine trailer that is registered in maine with the mass residents address.
It may work, till your 1st accident

Commercial trailers running interstate is a lot different than a mass resident with mass insurance pulling a Maine trailer that is registered in maine with the mass residents address.
It may work, till your 1st accident
The question was regarding commercial trailers.

Bought a used trailer from another state. The VIN was gone, the sticker was worn out. MA was a giant PITA. Called Vermont, they said no VIN, no problem. Registered by mail very easily and had the plates in a a few weeks.

Screw Massachusetts, register in another state

Back
Top Bottom