? regarding legality of holster in Mass...

Whether it is legal or not, it is just plain stupid. A real holster covers the trigger guard and prevents the trigger from getting accidentally pulled.

Get a real pocket holster instead.

I'm curious as to why you'd think it was illegal? The whole point of concealed carry is.....concealment, isn't it? :eek: All this does is make it look like you've got a wallet or somesuch in your pocket....for the record, I don't like the open trigger, either.

reinbeau said:
I'm curious as to why you'd think it was illegal? The whole point of concealed carry is.....concealment, isn't it? :eek: All this does is make it look like you've got a wallet or somesuch in your pocket....for the record, I don't like the open trigger, either.

Ann,

MA made the possession of guns that "don't look like guns" illegal (of course) a while ago. Thus, the old cane/single-shot is illegal, the pager/cellphone gun is illegal, etc.

That is most likely what raised this question and gave it legitimacy to see if it was thought to be legal or not.

Chapter 140 - 131N is why I'd be worried. (In full below)

Specifically, "No person shall... possess any weapon, capable of discharging a bullet.. that does not resemble a handgun"

Heck, in reading 131N, if it doesn't look like a SBR, SBS or handgun, it would be illegal. I would ASSuME that someone else standard rifles, shotguns and Machineguns are exempt from 131N.

Mike
--------------------------------

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131n.htm
SALE OF FIREARMS

Chapter 140: Section 131N. Covert weapons; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131N. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess any weapon, capable of discharging a bullet or shot, that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk-through metal detectors. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Under Federal Law, a type HOLSTER makes an AOW if a handgun is used with it.
(Any Other Weapon)

Specifically, if you can fire the handgun, without removing from the holster and the holster disguises the look, the feds say that is a no-no. This company says that the ATF is okay because the Slide is not covered, thereby not disguesing the firearm.

I've read the MGLs when it comes to firearms many, many times. I'm always suprised by what they've written and how we are expected to deal with it.

Mike,

"Firearm" in this section is defined as "handgun". Only in Ch. 140 do they use the common term firearm (which means ANY gun anywhere else) and change the meaning to "handgun" only! Only in MA!

I LOVE Mass.

Where a rilfe, shotgun and receiver are NOT a firearm.
I remember that when we do the BFSC, but then I forget. (I think its subconcious)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom